Default french hot water cylinder

There was an earlier thread on this subject. Are these the same thing
as the french un-vented immersion heater cylinder -
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...RCH/index.html
They seem a lot more expensive. Whats wrong with buying a french one?
I want something quick and easy to install temporarily (2-3 years).

cheers

Jacob

Christian McArdle

They seem a lot more expensive. Whats wrong with buying a french one?
I want something quick and easy to install temporarily (2-3 years).

UK ones must have loads of additional gear to stop them exploding. French
ones (bought in France) can't usually be legally installed directly. Most
French manufacturers can build them to UK spec, but at UK prices.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...RCH/index.html

These do not appear to be direct electrically heated unvented cylinders.
Although nicely packaged to hang on the wall, they appear to be gravity fed,
mentioning "copper hot water vessel and cold water feed tank".

For an electric direct unvented cylinder look around he

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/s...Unvented_.html

Christian.

Christian McArdle wrote:
They seem a lot more expensive. Whats wrong with buying a french one?
I want something quick and easy to install temporarily (2-3 years).

UK ones must have loads of additional gear to stop them exploding. French
ones (bought in France) can't usually be legally installed directly. Most
French manufacturers can build them to UK spec, but at UK prices.

I thought everything manufactured in the EU now had to be legal
everywhere in the EU.

--
Chris Green

fred

In article ,
Christian McArdle writes
They seem a lot more expensive. Whats wrong with buying a french one?
I want something quick and easy to install temporarily (2-3 years).

UK ones must have loads of additional gear to stop them exploding. French
ones (bought in France) can't usually be legally installed directly. Most
French manufacturers can build them to UK spec, but at UK prices.

A chum bought a mains spec cylinder in a shed in France and it came
with all the bits you get for UK use, cost was about half of the UK price.
Don't know the location or name of the shed tho'.
--
fred
Aidan

There was an earlier thread on this subject. Are these the same thing
as the french un-vented immersion heater cylinder -
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...RCH/index.html

No. Those seem to be vented. There's a cold water storage tank above
the water heater. Pressure is only due to height above the outlet and
is pathetic.

Christian McArdle

I thought everything manufactured in the EU now had to be legal
everywhere in the EU.

It's a building regulation issue and there appears to be a considerable way
to go before these are harmonised. Despite this, the French manufacturers
seem to have no problem cornering a large proportion (if not the
overwhelming majority) of the UK market.

Christian.

Doctor Drivel

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Christian McArdle writes
They seem a lot more expensive. Whats wrong with buying a french one?
I want something quick and easy to install temporarily (2-3 years).

UK ones must have loads of additional gear to stop them exploding. French
ones (bought in France) can't usually be legally installed directly. Most
French manufacturers can build them to UK spec, but at UK prices.

A chum bought a mains spec cylinder in a shed in France and it came
with all the bits you get for UK use, cost was about half of the UK price.
Don't know the location or name of the shed tho'.

Yep. Those that sell mainly to the UK market on the coast cater for the UK.
You have to know what you are getting though.

Christian McArdle wrote:
I thought everything manufactured in the EU now had to be legal
everywhere in the EU.

It's a building regulation issue and there appears to be a considerable way
to go before these are harmonised.

Ah, of course, perfectly legal to buy it because it's from within the
EU but you can't actually install it in your house. I believe there
are a few other things like this too.

--
Chris Green

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM