jg

Default Router Mounting

I'm trying to mount my router upside down in a table.

Before I go any furthure, I should say it is not really designed for table
mounting, but i'm stuborn and cheap

OK, so i've removed the plastic base plate, this was held on with some bolts
with counter sunk heads. I was thinking all I needed to do would be to drill
the same hole positions in my table and then use the same bolts to mount my
router on the wood.

The plastic is quite thin (about 4mm) maybe even 3) this was fine before as
it was just a smooth surface to ride over the workpiece. Now the base needs
to support the router weight. The coutner sunk bolts are a little short, not
sure how thick an MDF sheet I could get between them and the router without
them falling out. So i was thinking of getting some slightly longer bolts.
Any idea where I can get these bolts with counter sunk heads? I've never
seen them before, do they have a specific name.?

Thanks

Andy Pandy

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:00:27 +0100, "jg" wrote:

[...]

The Nut and Bolt store, Portland Road, HOVE, Sussex
http://www.namrick.co.uk/

Andy
Mike Dodd

jg wrote:
[...]

Gnnngh!, are you sure that you..... (no, answer the question, Mike)

I can't help but think that I'm missing something here.

However, to answer the question that I think you're asking, look he-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...3503&doy=19m7D

Note: It's usually required to get a longer thread than you need, spin
the nut onto the screw, then cut the thread to length and file the burr
off. When you then spin the nut off, it helps trim the thread back to
its former glory.

Mike
jg

Gnnngh!, are you sure that you..... (no, answer the question, Mike)

??? Please tell em if i'm doing something completely wrong, it's the only
way i'll learn.

I can't help but think that I'm missing something here.

However, to answer the question that I think you're asking, look he-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...3503&doy=19m7D

Thanks, they look just right.

Note: It's usually required to get a longer thread than you need, spin the
nut onto the screw, then cut the thread to length and file the burr off.
When you then spin the nut off, it helps trim the thread back to its
former glory.

Thanks, that's a greate help.

Mike

Scraggy

jg wrote:
[...]

Hmm, most routers are designed for wall mounting but upside down on a table
should be fine. Unless, of course, it's a wireless router then attention
must be payed to the positioning of the antennae.. ;-)
members. Groucho Marx

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
jg wrote:
The plastic is quite thin (about 4mm) maybe even 3) this was fine before
as it was just a smooth surface to ride over the workpiece. Now the
base needs to support the router weight. The coutner sunk bolts are a
little short, not sure how thick an MDF sheet I could get between them
and the router without them falling out. So i was thinking of getting
some slightly longer bolts. Any idea where I can get these bolts with
counter sunk heads? I've never seen them before, do they have a
specific name.?

They'd be called countersunk head machine screws. A larger B&Q should have
them, or any engineering supplier.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
raden

In message , Scraggy
writes
jg wrote:
[...]

Qu'est ce que c'est

Peut etre un peu trop de Chimay ???????????

Ha haaaaa

--
geoff
Scraggy

raden wrote:
In message , Scraggy
writes
jg wrote:
[...]

Mais non mon ami, Old Peculiar.

members. Groucho Marx

raden

In message , Scraggy
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Scraggy
writes
jg wrote:
[...]

Explains a lot

--
geoff
John Rumm

jg wrote:

Before I go any furthure, I should say it is not really designed for table
mounting, but i'm stuborn and cheap

Most should work in a table.

OK, so i've removed the plastic base plate, this was held on with some bolts
with counter sunk heads. I was thinking all I needed to do would be to drill
the same hole positions in my table and then use the same bolts to mount my
router on the wood.

It is usually better to mount the router on a steel plate first, and
then mount this on the top of the table in a recess around a bigger hole
trhough the table.

If you mount the rounter directly to the underside of the table then you
will either have to have a very thin table top (not good for rigidity
and accuracy), or you may sacrifice too much plunge depth on the router
and not always be able to get much tool protrusion through the table.

You can buy mounting plates pre drilled for various routers (Trend do a
variety of different ones).

--
Cheers,

John.