Default Neat way for cable to pass through plasterboard

This is probably a dumb question but I haven't found a satisfactory
solution...

I have some surface mounted equipment (e.g. heating controller,
security controller) into which I must terminate some low voltage
(50V) cables (e.g. RS485, PIR sensor connections). The equipment
enclosures have knockouts on the underside through which the cables
enter.

The cables are run within dry lining. What is a neat way to bring the
cable out through the plasterboard and up into the equipment? I could
simply drill holes in the plasterboard and thread the cable through but
this wouldn't look nice. I could have some 20mm conduit coming out of
the wall and up into the knockouts which might look a bit better. A
surface-mounted junction box (about 250mm width x 90mm height) with
rear-entry knockouts occurred to me, but I can't find a decent source.

Does anyone have some neat ideas?

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Drill a rear-entry hole?

Unfortunately, room in the back plane of the equipment

BigWallop

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Your wall mounted equipment should be fitted to a timber panel which is in
turn fixed to the surface of the plaster board wall. This is especially so
if the equipment houses mains voltage transformers or switch gear, and it
acts as an extra layer of insulator material against the paper surface of
the plaster board.

It's easier to drill neat holes in the timber panel after cutting a large
hole in the plaster board to bring the cables through. The timber panel
should also give space to fix clips on the cabling so they are more
difficult to pull out of the housings for the equipment. The timber panel
allows you drill individual holes for each cable, if you wish, so they are
neatly spaced and clipped along the length of the equipment housings.

John

"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm not sure part B of the building regs would agree with your ideas about
using timber and making large holes in the fire resistant plasterboard.
Your ideas seem more appropriate for the fifties and early sixtiesg

BIG NIGE

Cant quite visualise the situation and dont know how many cables but would
Trunking rather than conduit look better with the cables entering through
the back of the trunking.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
A surface-mounted junction box (about 250mm width x 90mm height) with
rear-entry knockouts occurred to me, but I can't find a decent source.

Since it's low voltage low current so fire containment isn't an issue,
look at through the ranges of enclosures that Maplin etc do for one that
looks ok and make your own suitable holes in it.

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article .com,
wrote:

The cables are run within dry lining. What is a neat way to bring the
cable out through the plasterboard

Standard cable grommet as used by Teleworst etc. 10mm drill size and will
accept up to 8mm through cable. Black, white or clear 50p each.

BigWallop

"John" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Who said anything about huge big holes in the plaster board? I only said
larger holes in the plaster board to allow for cable grouping to individual
holes in the timber panel, which makes the job look very neat and tidy.
And, by the way, any electrical equipment that houses mains voltage must be
secured to a flat well secured timber platform, in the fifties, sixties
right up to the present day. So can you tell me where in the OP that it
says anything about the housings "not having" mains voltage present in them?

John

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

SNIP

[...]

See above - you wrote "after cutting a large hole in the plaster board to
bring the cables through"

And, by the way, any electrical equipment that houses mains voltage must
be
secured to a flat well secured timber platform, in the fifties, sixties
right up to the present day.

Yeah sure it does - thats why all the newer (quite some years now) consumer
units are mounted direct to plaster/brick/etc, and flush switches and
sockets or plastic surface mount boxes have wooden pattresses (not)

So can you tell me where in the OP that it
says anything about the housings "not having" mains voltage present in
them?

Conversely can you say where it does since the text IIRC inferred ELV
controls?

BigWallop

"John" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

SNIP

[...]

Yes. A large hole in the plaster board, not a great big gaping huge hole.
A little common sense wouldn't go amiss, please.

And, by the way, any electrical equipment that houses mains voltage must
be
secured to a flat well secured timber platform, in the fifties, sixties
right up to the present day.

Yeah sure it does - thats why all the newer (quite some years now)

consumer
units are mounted direct to plaster/brick/etc, and flush switches and
sockets or plastic surface mount boxes have wooden pattresses (not)

Your service head end and consumer unit are directly on the plaster,
whatever, surface? (not)

So can you tell me where in the OP that it
says anything about the housings "not having" mains voltage present in
them?

Conversely can you say where it does since the text IIRC inferred ELV
controls?

To err on the side of caution and safety is my motto, and where someone
tells me they are using ELV, then I automatically know that transformers or
switch modes will come in to the equation somewhere along the line. To
operate these types of appliance you almost always need a mains voltage
supply somewhere close at hand.