BigWallop

"John" wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

SNIP

It's easier to drill neat holes in the timber panel after cutting a

large
hole in the plaster board to bring the cables through. The timber
panel
should also give space to fix clips on the cabling so they are more
difficult to pull out of the housings for the equipment. The timber

panel
allows you drill individual holes for each cable, if you wish, so

they
are
neatly spaced and clipped along the length of the equipment housings.

I'm not sure part B of the building regs would agree with your ideas
about
using timber and making large holes in the fire resistant plasterboard.
Your ideas seem more appropriate for the fifties and early sixtiesg

Who said anything about huge big holes in the plaster board? I only

said
larger holes in the plaster board to allow for cable grouping to
individual
holes in the timber panel, which makes the job look very neat and tidy.

See above - you wrote "after cutting a large hole in the plaster board to
bring the cables through"

Yes. A large hole in the plaster board, not a great big gaping huge hole.
A little common sense wouldn't go amiss, please.

And, by the way, any electrical equipment that houses mains voltage must
be
secured to a flat well secured timber platform, in the fifties, sixties
right up to the present day.

Yeah sure it does - thats why all the newer (quite some years now)

consumer
units are mounted direct to plaster/brick/etc, and flush switches and
sockets or plastic surface mount boxes have wooden pattresses (not)

Your service head end and consumer unit are directly on the plaster,
whatever, surface? (not)

So can you tell me where in the OP that it
says anything about the housings "not having" mains voltage present in
them?

Conversely can you say where it does since the text IIRC inferred ELV
controls?

To err on the side of caution and safety is my motto, and where someone
tells me they are using ELV, then I automatically know that transformers or
switch modes will come in to the equation somewhere along the line. To
operate these types of appliance you almost always need a mains voltage
supply somewhere close at hand.