John

Default "Liquid Sander" for painting preparation

I have to paint our house this year - preferably inside as well as out.
For no other reason than that I absolutely bloody hate painting, and
I've put it off for too long now!

Has anyone ever used "Liquid Sander" that you can buy in the DIY shops
(Or used to be able to buy it - haven't looked recently!).

I figured that it might be good enough to prepare all the inside gloss
stuff, and the outside gloss stuff that hasn't actually cracked/peeled.

Any other tips on reducing the prolonged agony will be most gratefully
received. (Mary: I look to you for advice on either (a) immersing
myself in the Joy of Painting, or (b) relaxing and watching Mother
Nature reclaim the wood which the builders borrowed from her.) ;-)

John
Gel

Yes it was/is made by International Paints.
Now called easy sand. Used to be in a blue can, but last time I got
some was maroon, with corresponding price uplift!
See
http://www.international-paints.co.u...1&surfaceid=53

Stuart Noble

Gel wrote:
Yes it was/is made by International Paints.
Now called easy sand. Used to be in a blue can, but last time I got
some was maroon, with corresponding price uplift!
See
http://www.international-paints.co.u...1&surfaceid=53

IIRC it deposits an abrasive film which gives you the illusion of a
sanded surface but, because it doesn't adhere that well, it is just an
illusion. I've never found a way of rubbing down without elbow grease.
Sugar soap is as good as anything if you just want a keyed surface.

John wrote:
I have to paint our house this year - preferably inside as well as out.
For no other reason than that I absolutely bloody hate painting, and
I've put it off for too long now!

Has anyone ever used "Liquid Sander" that you can buy in the DIY shops
(Or used to be able to buy it - haven't looked recently!).

I figured that it might be good enough to prepare all the inside gloss
stuff, and the outside gloss stuff that hasn't actually cracked/peeled.

Any other tips on reducing the prolonged agony will be most gratefully
received. (Mary: I look to you for advice on either (a) immersing
myself in the Joy of Painting, or (b) relaxing and watching Mother
Nature reclaim the wood which the builders borrowed from her.) ;-)

John

if you want to minimise repainting, go for linseed oil paint. Its
expensive and take 3-4 coats, but then lasts 5x as long as alkyd.

NT

Pete C

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:02:48 +0100, John wrote:

I have to paint our house this year - preferably inside as well as out.
For no other reason than that I absolutely bloody hate painting, and
I've put it off for too long now!

Has anyone ever used "Liquid Sander" that you can buy in the DIY shops
(Or used to be able to buy it - haven't looked recently!).

I figured that it might be good enough to prepare all the inside gloss
stuff, and the outside gloss stuff that hasn't actually cracked/peeled.

Any other tips on reducing the prolonged agony will be most gratefully
received. (Mary: I look to you for advice on either (a) immersing
myself in the Joy of Painting, or (b) relaxing and watching Mother
Nature reclaim the wood which the builders borrowed from her.) ;-)

John

AKA sanding sealer:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=sanding%20sealer&btnG=Google+Search &meta=

Not sure if it's OK for outside.

cheers,
Pete.

Stuart Noble

Pete C wrote:
[...]

Different thing entirely. Sanding sealer is usually shellac based,
rather like French polish with a built in abrasive. Used to seal new
wood before a wax finish.