nanandgrandadsmith.com

Default air conditioners / heat pumps.

Cheaper to run than gas central heating when used for heating? I need a
new boiler, would a few cheap air conditioners do the job cheaper?

raden

In message .com,
nanandgrandadsmith.com writes
Cheaper to run than gas central heating when used for heating? I need a
new boiler, would a few cheap air conditioners do the job cheaper?

Absolutely not

--
geoff
nanandgrandadsmith.com

http://shortu.com/nda
"2.2kW input power spent you will get 5.8kW of heating" ?

fred

In article .com
, nanandgrandadsmith.com writes
http://shortu.com/nda
"2.2kW input power spent you will get 5.8kW of heating" ?

Or 1:2.65, even if true, my gas to elec cost is 1:4.48 so the sums just
don't work out.
--
fred
Sparks

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article .com
, nanandgrandadsmith.com writes
http://shortu.com/nda
"2.2kW input power spent you will get 5.8kW of heating" ?

Or 1:2.65, even if true, my gas to elec cost is 1:4.48 so the sums just
don't work out.

What about bottled gas or oil, for people not on mains gas?
Would it be better (Especially at night, on E7)?

Sparks...

Dave Liquorice

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:17:14 +0100, Sparks wrote:

What about bottled gas or oil, for people not on mains gas?
Would it be better (Especially at night, on E7)?

I've just paid 2.95/unit at 10.5kW/l for oil (30.98p/l). Our electric
is 5.01p/unit or the E7 8.48/2.57p/unit so the E7 is marginally
cheaper. Oil will have to drop to 24.4p/l to match the night E7 rate,
but generally we need heat outside of the E7 period.

Prices ex VAT.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Peter Parry

On 14 Jul 2005 14:47:33 -0700, "nanandgrandadsmith.com"
wrote:

Cheaper to run than gas central heating when used for heating? I need a
new boiler, would a few cheap air conditioners do the job cheaper?

No, the figures quoted are "best case" for inside and outside
temperatures. For average figures look for 2-4 times worse.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 00:17:14 +0100, Sparks wrote:

What about bottled gas or oil, for people not on mains gas?
Would it be better (Especially at night, on E7)?

I've just paid 2.95/unit at 10.5kW/l for oil (30.98p/l). Our electric
is 5.01p/unit or the E7 8.48/2.57p/unit so the E7 is marginally
cheaper. Oil will have to drop to 24.4p/l to match the night E7 rate,
but generally we need heat outside of the E7 period.

Prices ex VAT.

classic oversight. Look at the daytime prices with E7, way above flat
rate prices. E7 gives an almost ok deal with one hand, then gets you
with the other. Dont use E7 unless thres really no other option.

Heat pump efficiency depends on temp differential. The greater the
differential, ie the colder it is outside, the more efficiency drops,
as the further uphill, thermally, the heat has to be pumped.

NT