Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Christian
McArdle writes

500ml - half a litre I can understand,
568 ml - a pint I can understand,
but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

It's not far off an Aussie schooner.
Did Australians invent tinned beer?

No they just reduced it to the lowest common denominator

Maxie, the Aussies don't know the meaning of beer, that is why the call it
XXXX

BigWallop

"Doctor Evil" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Christian
McArdle writes

500ml - half a litre I can understand,
568 ml - a pint I can understand,
but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

It's not far off an Aussie schooner.
Did Australians invent tinned beer?

No they just reduced it to the lowest common denominator

Maxie, the Aussies don't know the meaning of beer, that is why the call it
XXXX

they only call it XXXX because they can't spell ****.

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
news

I have several hundred bottles of belgian beer out the back which range
from 250 through 330 to 375ml

Ready for tomorrow?

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Joe" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in
.uk:
Hi All

Why is beer sold in 440 ml cans?

500ml - half a litre I can understand, 568 ml - a pint I can
understand, but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

Don't start me!

I bloody LOATHE the 440 size. 500 makes 2 nice civilised glasses in
whatever size they make that size of glass in. But they do, and sell them
in Woolies.
(No , it's not the medication, *I* know what I'm going on about innit!)

'Water' glasses tend to be half a pint.

I've never seen anyone pour canned beer into a glass of any size, they drink
the contents straight from the can.

Mary
.... No, I'm wrong, I remember pouring Guinness from cans with the gizmo to
make it 'draught' yeah yeah. Is that still done? But I still see people
drinking canned beer - from cans- in the street. And dropping the empty.

John Laird

On 11 Jul 2005 14:01:42 -0700, "johnty" wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
johnty wrote:
How about the old party sevens?

Probably the worst beer in the world...

Oh, absolutely. But dead cheap and a sure entrance into any party when
you're about 17. Ee, them were t'days...

Some of us could only afford party fours.

Times have changed. Outside my local newsagents, I passed four lads the
other day, two swigging cans of coke, one with a can of Stella. They looked
about 16. And it was quarter past 9 in the morning.

--
I Like Arithmetic Ifs, They make code more interesting
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
news

I have several hundred bottles of belgian beer out the back which range
from 250 through 330 to 375ml

Ready for tomorrow?

No, that might get frowned upon, but the day after ...

and no eating after mid day - bugger

The hospital sent me a list of things I need to take, including

..... pyjamas !!!!

I haven't had any of those since I was at school

the sarong will have to do

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"Joe" wrote in message
mike ring wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in
.uk:
Hi All

Why is beer sold in 440 ml cans?

500ml - half a litre I can understand, 568 ml - a pint I can
understand, but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

Don't start me!

I bloody LOATHE the 440 size. 500 makes 2 nice civilised glasses in
whatever size they make that size of glass in. But they do, and sell them
in Woolies.
(No , it's not the medication, *I* know what I'm going on about innit!)

'Water' glasses tend to be half a pint.

I've never seen anyone pour canned beer into a glass of any size,

I obviously need a webcam

although it's currently Chimay from a bottle

they drink
the contents straight from the can.

fillystynes

Mary
... No, I'm wrong, I remember pouring Guinness from cans with the gizmo to
make it 'draught' yeah yeah. Is that still done?

Yeah, my belgian B-i-L tried one last weekend.

guinness use a ping-pong ball (like the patpong girls) widget, which is
now in the fish pond (after I cut my hand with the stanley knife I used
to open the can to show him what a widget was)

But I still see people
drinking canned beer - from cans- in the street. And dropping the empty.

In watford they just drink and drop (I'm not talking about the cans)

--
geoff
Doctor Evil

"raden" wrote in message
In message ws.net,
Doctor Evil writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message ,

Christian
McArdle writes

500ml - half a litre I can understand,
568 ml - a pint I can understand,
but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

It's not far off an Aussie schooner.
Did Australians invent tinned beer?

No they just reduced it to the lowest common denominator

Maxie, the Aussies don't know the meaning of beer, that is why the call

it
XXXX

No, really ?

Maxie, that is true.

johnty

John Laird wrote:
On 11 Jul 2005 14:01:42 -0700, "johnty" wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
johnty wrote:
How about the old party sevens?

Probably the worst beer in the world...

Oh, absolutely. But dead cheap and a sure entrance into any party when
you're about 17. Ee, them were t'days...

Some of us could only afford party fours.

Times have changed. Outside my local newsagents, I passed four lads the
other day, two swigging cans of coke, one with a can of Stella. They looked
about 16. And it was quarter past 9 in the morning.

A bloody Coke at 9 o'clock in the morning!

Changed times indeed, John.

(I didn't realise you frequented this NG as well, by the way)

Al Reynolds

"David Lang" wrote:
Hi All

Why is beer sold in 440 ml cans?

500ml - half a litre I can understand, 568 ml - a pint I can understand,
but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

Tastes the same mind you.......

But why?

Dave

Completely irrelevant, but on the radio at lunchtime they were
saying that this week is the 70th anniversary of the beer can.
Apparently a Welsh brewery put beer in cans, but not for
drinking from, only for pouring into a glass.

Al

John Laird

On 12 Jul 2005 00:07:08 -0700, "johnty" wrote:

John Laird wrote:
On 11 Jul 2005 14:01:42 -0700, "johnty" wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
johnty wrote:
How about the old party sevens?

Probably the worst beer in the world...

Oh, absolutely. But dead cheap and a sure entrance into any party when
you're about 17. Ee, them were t'days...

Some of us could only afford party fours.

Times have changed. Outside my local newsagents, I passed four lads the
other day, two swigging cans of coke, one with a can of Stella. They looked
about 16. And it was quarter past 9 in the morning.

A bloody Coke at 9 o'clock in the morning!

Aye, bloody disgrace. I mean, where was the meths/cider/ruby wine ?

Changed times indeed, John.

(I didn't realise you frequented this NG as well, by the way)

From time to time. Mostly to see if a certain entertainer is still keeping
up his end. He is...

--
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..
mike ring

How about the old party sevens?

I dropped one of them once off the carrier on my motorbike. It survived the
fall, but the opening was dramatic

mike
OldBill

PC Paul wrote:
"David Lang" wrote in message
.uk...

Hi All

Why is beer sold in 440 ml cans?

500ml - half a litre I can understand, 568 ml - a pint I can understand,
but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

Tastes the same mind you.......

But why?

Soft drinks have been 330ml (~1/3 litre) for ages. Maybe as simple as the
next size up?

How about 440ml = fill a half litre glass, with room for a head?

Yup, as we used to say a "tourist measure" in many parts of the
continent esp Holland.

OldBill

David Lang wrote:
Hi All

Why is beer sold in 440 ml cans?

500ml - half a litre I can understand, 568 ml - a pint I can understand, but
440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

Tastes the same mind you.......

But why?

Dave

I wouldn't call anything in 330ml cans ( or 500ml for that matter )
"beer". Its just water, colouring a bit of alcohol.
Keeps the chavs happy though.
Rod

"David Lang" wrote in
.uk:

Hi All

Why is beer sold in 440 ml cans?

500ml - half a litre I can understand, 568 ml - a pint I can
understand, but 440 ml doesn't convert to anything!

Tastes the same mind you.......

But why?

Googling "440 ml" came up with this:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Which appears to suggest that 440 ml is one breastful. Any connection with
beer is probably tenuous....

--
Rod

David Lang

Owain wrote;

"Bitty"!

ROFLMAO!!!!

Dave

johnty

LOL. Probably the only way to get a head on it.

mike ring

LOL. Probably the only way to get a head on it.

Good point - it was certainly effective.

Those were the days sigh

mike

DIY Beer Andrew McKay UK diy 47 March 22nd 05 11:40 AM
Beer as a wood stain/dye/varnish [email protected] Woodworking 4 December 13th 04 08:09 PM
Pedal Powered Beer Wagon MetalMan Too Metalworking 1 May 4th 04 11:58 PM
beer bottle display PC Woodworking 0 August 10th 03 07:42 AM
beer in the shop? Eric Lund Woodworking 5 July 11th 03 02:10 PM