Lobster

Default Seeking stop-end tap connectors

In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap when
you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME. I'd like a
couple of 0.75" equivalents for bath taps, however, I have never been
able to find anywhere - plumber's merchants, B&Q, Screwfix.... do they
actually exist?

In fact, I was just looking at Screwfix for a couple more of the 0.5"
versions, but can't seem to find those either now.

(These fittings are different from 15mm or 22mm compression-fitting stop
ends BTW, like
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...82071&id=11262)

Thanks
David
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap when
you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME. I'd like a
couple of 0.75" equivalents for bath taps, however, I have never been
able to find anywhere - plumber's merchants, B&Q, Screwfix.... do they
actually exist?

In fact, I was just looking at Screwfix for a couple more of the 0.5"
versions, but can't seem to find those either now.

You can often botch one by using the nut off a compression fitting, a
suitable coin and a rubber washer or some sealant.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Autolycus

Lobster wrote:
In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap
when you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME.

What about fitting service valves instead (or isolating valves)? 22mm
£1.40 each from toolstation, and saves a lot of faffing about next time
you want to change a washer.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Lobster

Autolycus wrote:
Lobster wrote:

In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap
when you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME.

What about fitting service valves instead (or isolating valves)? 22mm
£1.40 each from toolstation, and saves a lot of faffing about next time
you want to change a washer.

Oh I always do so, I quite agree. But especially during the
intermediate stages of ripping out an old bathroom (which doesn't have
any isolation valves) I still find it useful to have a pocketfull of
blanking plugs and stop ends to avoid having to keep main stopcock
turned off.

Reckon I'll have to try Mr Plowman's coin trick (thanks Dave!)

David
Pete C

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 07:56:19 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap when
you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME. I'd like a
couple of 0.75" equivalents for bath taps, however, I have never been
able to find anywhere - plumber's merchants, B&Q, Screwfix.... do they
actually exist?

In fact, I was just looking at Screwfix for a couple more of the 0.5"
versions, but can't seem to find those either now.

(These fittings are different from 15mm or 22mm compression-fitting stop
ends BTW, like
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...82071&id=11262)

Hi,

BES have these, part #6608

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/158b.asp

You may also want some washers for sealing too.

cheers,
Pete.

Lobster

wrote:

In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap when
you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME. I'd like a
couple of 0.75" equivalents for bath taps, however, I have never been
able to find anywhere - plumber's merchants, B&Q, Screwfix.... do they
actually exist?

BES have these, part #6608

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/158b.asp

Thanks for the pointer - actually it's not the part number you state,
which has a female thread, however, lower down the page are items 6594
and 99767.... hence my follow up question, what's the difference between
a "flanged plug with an undercut" and one "without"?!

Thanks
David
Pete C

wrote:

In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap when
you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME. I'd like a
couple of 0.75" equivalents for bath taps, however, I have never been
able to find anywhere - plumber's merchants, B&Q, Screwfix.... do they
actually exist?

BES have these, part #6608

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/158b.asp

Thanks for the pointer - actually it's not the part number you state,
which has a female thread,

I see, you want the male bit...

however, lower down the page are items 6594
and 99767.... hence my follow up question, what's the difference between
a "flanged plug with an undercut" and one "without"?!

I'd expect it's mainly because the one with the undercut allows a
retaining washer to be used, making the washer less likely to be lost.

Also because the washer has a smaller internal dia it would be less
likely to get squashed out when the plug is tightened.

If using some goop to seal instead of a washer, the undercut one would
allow a nice O ring of goop under the plug, which is probably better
than a thin layer.

FInally the 'non' undercut one must be less standard as it's about 60p
more.

However if you're blocking off flexibles I'd be a little concerned
whether there's enough thread on the plug to screw down onto the
sealing washer inside the end of the flexible.

Maybe a couple of washing machine tapes for 30p more, eg part #8136:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/123.asp

They can also be opened for testing, or possibly left open
inadvertantly. If there's little ones around it might be best to take
the handles off!

If you want to use plugs with flexibles then ordering some extra
washers might be a good idea, eg part #11475 on the above page.

cheers,
Pete.
Ed Sirett

wrote:

In my plumbing kit I have a couple of 0.5" blanking plugs/stop ends ,
whatever they are called, which fit in place of a standard 0.5" tap when
you remove it; very useful during bathroom-fitting IME. I'd like a
couple of 0.75" equivalents for bath taps, however, I have never been
able to find anywhere - plumber's merchants, B&Q, Screwfix.... do they
actually exist?

BES have these, part #6608

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/158b.asp

Thanks for the pointer - actually it's not the part number you state,
which has a female thread, however, lower down the page are items 6594
and 99767.... hence my follow up question, what's the difference between
a "flanged plug with an undercut" and one "without"?!

I find that the non-back-nut-and-olive part of a compression stop end
works. The seal is to the fibre washer in the tap connector.

_Some_ brass 1/2" BSP plugs work provided they have a hollow part and
make their seal on the end at the start of the threads.

The difference between the undercut and none is that the it allows
somewhere for debris to go as the plug is tightened to seal on the
_flange_. If you were needing to make a seal on the threads using
resin/tape/compound then the under cut would be irrelevant.

green stuff coming out of copper piping connectors? [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 15th 05 08:45 PM
Stop Beads Before or After? [email protected] UK diy 2 January 15th 05 09:31 AM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
Low water pressure and stop tap? Simom UK diy 1 July 24th 03 06:19 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 02:34 PM