ben

Default After a new carpet.

How many square yards in a room this size?

L 13' 6" x W 11'

Yes I know I'm crap when it comes to working out this type of measurement.

Thanks

PJ

ben wrote:
How many square yards in a room this size?

L 13' 6" x W 11'

Yes I know I'm crap when it comes to working out this type of measurement.

Thanks

13.5 x 11 = 148.5 sq feet

148.5 / 9 = 16.5 sq yards

PJ
BigWallop

"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
How many square yards in a room this size?

L 13' 6" x W 11'

Yes I know I'm crap when it comes to working out this type of measurement.

Thanks

Divide them both by 3, because there are 3 feet to the yard. Then multiply
them together to get the square yards.

14' / 3' = 4.66 yds (best rounded up to 5 yds to allow for cutting or
pattern matching)
11' / 3' = 3.66 yds (best rounded up to 4 yds to allow for cutting or
pattern matching)

4.66 yds X 3.66 yds = 17 square yards (best rounded up to 20 sq yds to allow
for cutting or pattern matching)

But you may find better to work in (sq) metres now'a'days like everyone else
does. :-)

14' = 168'' = 42672 mm = 4.27 mtrs (rounded up)
11' = 132'' = 33528 mm = 3.36 mtrs (rounded up)

4.27 mtrs X 3.36 mtrs = 14.35 sq mtrs (best rounded up to 15 sq mtrs to
allow for cutting or pattern matching)

ben

BigWallop wrote:
"ben" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

who's right you or PJ?

There's a difference between the two

dennis@home

"ben" wrote in message
. uk.

You need to know the width of the carpet you want and which way it will fit
in the room.

Then the width is that of the carpet and the length is the other room
dimension rounded *up* to what they will cut (probably the nearest
foot/30cm).

In your case 4m wide will fit across the 11' dimension and 4.3m cut will
fit the 13' 6" dimension.

about 17.5 sq m.

Some carpets are 5m wide and you may want to do it the other way.

Do they still do 12' carpets as this will be less waste if the pattern goes
the way you want it.

ben

Oops! your first lines where not in square yards.

Sorry. :-)

Rick

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:33:39 GMT, "ben" wrote:

How many square yards in a room this size?

L 13' 6" x W 11'

Yes I know I'm crap when it comes to working out this type of measurement.

Thanks

This is not the most usefull question, the carpet will probably come
in 3m wide rolls, they are not going to cut a bit off the side, and
not sell you that bit, you will have to buy it.

So you will need a bit 3m x 13'6", or 3.0x3.50m, or 10.5 square
meteres, as we buy stuff in the UK in METRIC system, cause thats all
they taught us at school.

Rick

Rick wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:33:39 GMT, "ben" wrote:

How many square yards in a room this size?

L 13' 6" x W 11'

Yes I know I'm crap when it comes to working out this type of measurement.

Thanks

This is not the most usefull question, the carpet will probably come

Nor is this the most useful answer!

in 3m wide rolls, they are not going to cut a bit off the side, and
not sell you that bit, you will have to buy it.

So you will need a bit 3m x 13'6", or 3.0x3.50m, or 10.5 square
meteres, as we buy stuff in the UK in METRIC system, cause thats all
they taught us at school.

Shame they didn't teach you a bit more at school! A 3m wide carpet is
not wide enough for either of the required room dimensions and would
require another strip to be joined to it.

Andrew

Richard Faulkner

In message , ben
writes
How many square yards in a room this size?

L 13' 6" x W 11'

Yes I know I'm crap when it comes to working out this type of measurement.

Thanks

You will need 20 sq. yds.

Carpet tends to come in 4.0m widths, (13ft),, so you have to buy based
on the length needed, i.e. 14ft x 13ft. Then divide by 9 to get sq. yds.

--
Richard Faulkner