Dave

Default Waste disposal units - how to choose

There seem to be a couple of basic types but a wide range of models -
any recommendations for types and suppliers?

Dave
Steph Peters

Dave of BT Openworld wrote:
There seem to be a couple of basic types but a wide range of models -
any recommendations for types and suppliers?

I've had 3 - left one behind due to a move, one died and one currently in
use. The one that died was a stream feed, the others were batch feed. I
prefer batch feed, so that the hole is closed off when the blades are going
round. This prevents anything accidentally falling in - the vibration can
dislodge stuff off the draining board. I reckon that the odd mangled tea
spoon contributed to the demise of the stream feed job. Also the stream
feed is controlled by a switch and inevitably needs to be used at a time
when hands are either mucky or wet.
--
Character develops itself in the stream of life.
Goethe
Dave

Steph Peters wrote:
Dave of BT Openworld wrote:

[...]

Thanks. Having looked around some more I'm tempted by the ISE65 (stream,
with built-in air switch control - presumably from a pad on the floor or
on the worktop) or the ISE78 (batch). The batch one is a bit bigger and
more expensive so I'm drifting towards the '65 -
www.Discountedheating
have them for £193, can anyone suggest anywhere with a better price?
(frustratingly B&Q have the next model down for £99 but don't have the '65).

Dave
Capitol

It really depends on what you want to put into a waste disposer. Most
of the small ones, just about cope with a few chicken bones (these can
puncture rubber linings if fitted to quieten the disposer--experience!!)
and soft items. If you are looking for a unit which will consume bones
approaching 1" and last for years, then you are probably looking at a
Maxmatic deluxe 5000 which can be found for around £260. Yes it's
expensive, but you have the option of batch or stream feed and a 10 year
warranty. Ours has survived 26years and many helpful children ( no, we
didn't put them down it, although we were tempted at times!) I think
I've had to unjam it about 8 times in that period, we normally can't
think where we stored the unjam key, because it's so long since we used
it last. Be aware that ground up eggshells silt traps and drains, so be
prepared to flush pipes through once a year as insurance.

Hope this helps

Regards
Capitol