Dave

Default Help with wiring fault

Hi All

I have a puzzle with the wiring of the hall/landing lights in a house
I have just moved into.

The hall/landing has three light switches, one ouside the bathroom,
one at the other end of the landing outside the bedroom and one
besides the front door.

If I switch the lights on using the bathroom switch then try and
switch the lights out at the bedroom they don't go out, they just
flicker as the switch is operated.

If I go down stairs and attempt to switch them off at the front door,
same thing happens, lights stay on just flicker as switch is operated.

If I now go back upstairs nether switch will work so I can't switch
the lights off. I have to go back downstairs and reverse the front
door switch before the bathroom switch will again switch the lights
off.

There are further combinations, but I am confused enough already.

TIA

Dave

Dave wrote:
[...]

Oh dear. Either 2 wires have shorted, or more likely someone wired them
wrong. You need:

a 2 way switch at each end
a crossover switch half way
and 3 core & earth wire running between them

Then youll have every switch able to switch them on or off

Look for a diagram of 3 way switching.

NT

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Dave wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you've got a faulty switch. You could remove them one by one
and test with a DVM.

There are two types of switch in a three way switched circuit - 2 x 2-way
at the ends of the circuit and an intermediate in the 'middle'.

If you know the circuit once worked properly, then a wiring fault is
probably ruled out, so if you haven't got a DVM then buy one new two-way
switch (the cheapest) and try and sort the fault by substitution. If this
doesn't fix it then it's likely the intermediate.

I've included the circuit below for reference.

L1 L1
0===========0 0===========0============= Line
| \ / |
C 0================================O C
\ / \ /
0===========0 0===========0============= Switch return
L2 Optional L2
Intermediate

--
*My dog can lick anyone

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:15:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:
[...]

Thanks

Problem solved, wire wrongly connected in landing switch..
Dave

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:15:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Dave wrote:
[...]

Fault found to be incorrectly wired landing switch