jg

Default Simple wooden box.

I want to make a simple wooden box to store a collection of CDs in plastic
wallets. It doesn't have to be very fancy, just practical and strong.

I was not sure how to go about making it. My rough idea is to make a
rectangle from some 150mm wide 18mm think board I have in the garage. Was
planning to just do Butt joints, but this means i'll have to screw into the
end grain.
Front and back it with some MDF sheet and then cut it in half (using a
circular saw to go round the four sides) to make a lid and base. Then i'd
fit some hinges, catches and a handle.

For strength, I was thinking of putting a brace piece between the two longer
sides to prevent any bowing.

It's going to be about 380mm wide (just enough to fit into a filling
cabinet.

-----------------------
| | |
| | |
-----------------------

something like this.

Any comments/ideas welcome
Any links to guides for similar wooden boxes woudl be great. particularly
thinking about the butt joints.

Thanks

andrewpreece

"jg" wrote in message
[...]

If you glue it together as well as pinning/screwing it, I think you'll find
it will be
reasonably stiff and strong.

Andy

jg

I had thought of this idea, but didn't want to loose too much space in the
box due to corner blocks. I was going to try using those little plastic
blocks on the insode and screw outwards into the wood.

Any tips on what type of glue to use, I've got some of the white wood glue
in the green bottle (possibley PVA)

Maybe I'll just make the box a bit bigger, i'll have to make sure it'll fit
in the filling cabinet still.

Thanks

andrewpreece

Any tips on what type of glue to use, I've got some of the white wood

glue
in the green bottle (possibley PVA)

That'll do.

Seconded.

Andy.

Mark

andrewpreece wrote:
Any tips on what type of glue to use, I've got some of the white
wood glue in the green bottle (possibley PVA)

That'll do.

Seconded.

Andy.

Not DIY, but for this price, is it worth making one?

http://svp.co.uk/acatalog/rigidcase.html

Mark

AlexW

Mark wrote:
andrewpreece wrote:

Any tips on what type of glue to use, I've got some of the white
wood glue in the green bottle (possibley PVA)

That'll do.

Seconded.

Andy.

Not DIY, but for this price, is it worth making one?

http://svp.co.uk/acatalog/rigidcase.html

Mark

IMO not ... I mean, how much are you looking to save?

Unless you really want to do it of course

Alex
jg

I'd thought about these things, but decided against them because:
- I have already bought 500 wallets and these things come with their own
wallets so those 500 would be wasted. (You could argue that i'm throwing
good money after bad)
- I already have the wood in the garage, so wouldn't cost me anything.
althought this could be used on something else.
- I want something that will fit neatly into a filling cabinet, so a custom
made one seems to make sense here.
- The ones that come with the wallets have individually numbered wallets,
which would be really annoying for me. You organise your collection of 500
discs and then you get a new one that should really go at position 250 so
you have to shuffle the rest along. (or just ignore the numbers, but its
still annnoying.
- It seems like a nice fairly simple project that I could well have done at
school. (which is the last time I did anything like this) so would be a good
way of practicing some of these techniques for other projects
- Admittadly, the shiny mettal boxes do look much nicer than a but jointed
wooden box.