Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
jg

Default Simple wooden box.

I want to make a simple wooden box to store a collection of CDs in plastic
wallets. It doesn't have to be very fancy, just practical and strong.

I was not sure how to go about making it. My rough idea is to make a
rectangle from some 150mm wide 18mm think board I have in the garage. Was
planning to just do Butt joints, but this means i'll have to screw into the
end grain.
Front and back it with some MDF sheet and then cut it in half (using a
circular saw to go round the four sides) to make a lid and base. Then i'd
fit some hinges, catches and a handle.

For strength, I was thinking of putting a brace piece between the two longer
sides to prevent any bowing.

It's going to be about 380mm wide (just enough to fit into a filling
cabinet.

| | |
| | |

something like this.

Any comments/ideas welcome
Any links to guides for similar wooden boxes woudl be great. particularly
thinking about the butt joints.

Thanks