Windmill

Default How important to putty glass in door?

A new mahogany front door with obscure glass panels (with a raised
pattern) has been installed with no putty at all.

Am I right in thinking that even long-lasting woods will rot when
moisture gets in?

If so, I need to insist that the glass be properly installed - or do it
myself, as I've done before, if worst comes to worst.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l
Stuart Noble

Windmill wrote:
A new mahogany front door with obscure glass panels (with a raised
pattern) has been installed with no putty at all.

Without being bedded in something flexible the glass will probably
rattle. Linseed putty is next to useless for this because it dries out
and goes rock hard. A general purpose mastic is better.

Am I right in thinking that even long-lasting woods will rot when
moisture gets in?

Classic case of water getting in but being unable to get out. The bottom
1/3rd of each pane is most vulnerable. You could do worse than a thin
bead of clear silicone. Fernox do one in a small tube which might be
easier than gun and cartridge.

If so, I need to insist that the glass be properly installed - or do it
myself, as I've done before, if worst comes to worst.

andrewpreece

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
Windmill wrote:
A new mahogany front door with obscure glass panels (with a raised
pattern) has been installed with no putty at all.

Without being bedded in something flexible the glass will probably
rattle. Linseed putty is next to useless for this because it dries out
and goes rock hard. A general purpose mastic is better.

As far as I have seen, putty is not used to secure glass, that job is done
by small panel pins, then the putty is applied. Putty does go rock hard
eventually
though as you say. It will stay flexible for longer if it is painted
regularly.
The putty in my windows has finally been replaced after 66 years, but
it was in a bit of a state in places, rather like the window paint.

Andy.

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:11:29 +0100, andrewpreece wrote:

As far as I have seen, putty is not used to secure glass, that job
is done by small panel pins,

sprigs, yes.

then the putty is applied.

Not quite a bed of putty is put into the rebate first and the glass
offered up to that and firmed into place and held by a few springs or
pins, preferably non steel.

Putty does go rock hard eventually ...

Eventually being the operative word ... Kept maintained it'll be soft
for a very long time. Even unmaintained it'll still take years to dry
out completely.

One of the porches here just uses beading to hold some of the
(internal) glass in, rattles like crazy. Must get a tuit for that some
time.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Stuart Noble

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 19:11:29 +0100, andrewpreece wrote:

As far as I have seen, putty is not used to secure glass, that job
is done by small panel pins,

sprigs, yes.

then the putty is applied.

Not quite a bed of putty is put into the rebate first and the glass
offered up to that and firmed into place and held by a few springs or
pins, preferably non steel.

Putty does go rock hard eventually ...

Eventually being the operative word ... Kept maintained it'll be soft
for a very long time. Even unmaintained it'll still take years to dry
out completely.

Depends on the thickness IME. Sliding sash windows have a small rebate
so the putty doesn't last long, whereas casement windows often have 1/2"
rebates.
Relying on linseed oil not drying seems kind of quaint with all the high
tech options at our disposal.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Relying on linseed oil not drying seems kind of quaint with all the high
tech options at our disposal.

Seems then so is a mahogany door?

--
*Eat well, stay fit, die anyway

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:46:50 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Relying on linseed oil not drying seems kind of quaint with all the
high tech options at our disposal.

Maybe but getting old putty off glass or out of a rebate is damn site
easier than old mastic or even removing the glass either because the
pane has been broken or you simply have a need to change the glass.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Alex

Most glazing suppliers will sale a glazing mastic comes in a tube,could be
that the installer has already used this when bedding glass before
beading,worth checking first

fred

In article , Alex
writes
Most glazing suppliers will sale a glazing mastic comes in a tube,could be
that the installer has already used this when bedding glass before
beading,worth checking first

If you do get him back the panes must be removed then bedded in with
silicone (or other), def not ok to just smear some on the outside as the
less scrupulous might attempt. If the door is likely to get touched by any
rain at all, it will come ****ing in.
--
fred
Roy Millar

fred writes:

If you do get him back the panes must be removed then bedded in with
silicone (or other), def not ok to just smear some on the outside as the
less scrupulous might attempt. If the door is likely to get touched by any
rain at all, it will come ****ing in.

It *looked* as though a proper job had been done, though I couldn't
absolutely swear to it without taking the beading off again. The
heavily-patterned obscure glass makes it difficult to see.

The door is shared between two flats in an old stone-built terrace.
The other people wanted a new door similar to others in the street (old
door was repairable, but a little shabby), so I got a good one from a
joinery firm, we shared the cost, and the other folk arranged
installation.

Now they say they're moving and obviously are in a rush - they
overpainted the putty when it was just two days old.
Needless to say, there isn't much sign of putty now.
Most of it probably ended up on their paintbrush.

Sigh.

Is there a D-I-Y guide to dealing with neighbours?
The bash-ahead-regardless variety? (repeatedly proved)
Who maybe intended to move all along? (They never bought a proper
nameplate - perhaps that should have been my clue).

Then again, I'm so slow to cut my grass (not theirs) that maybe they're
moving to get away from me!

--
RobRoy, Use m o u l i n e t
t @ M i l l r a c e

fred

In article , Roy Millar spam-no-
writes

fred writes:

If you do get him back the panes must be removed then bedded in with
silicone (or other), def not ok to just smear some on the outside as the
less scrupulous might attempt. If the door is likely to get touched by any
rain at all, it will come ****ing in.

You're the op yeah?, looks like it & you're both on onetel.

It *looked* as though a proper job had been done, though I couldn't
absolutely swear to it without taking the beading off again. The
heavily-patterned obscure glass makes it difficult to see.

Fairly easy to tell, knock the panes, if they rattle then it's not right, also
set a hose on the outside & see if any moisture penetrates, again bad if
anything is coming through.

The door is shared between two flats in an old stone-built terrace.
The other people wanted a new door similar to others in the street (old
door was repairable, but a little shabby), so I got a good one from a
joinery firm, we shared the cost, and the other folk arranged
installation.

Now they say they're moving and obviously are in a rush - they
overpainted the putty when it was just two days old.
Needless to say, there isn't much sign of putty now.
Most of it probably ended up on their paintbrush.

I don't know if that is bad, haven't got on with putty so don't use it (also
never thought of it as secure) but others here have said that painting after a
'few' days is ok.

Is there a D-I-Y guide to dealing with neighbours?

Say hello, even if they're dickheads :-)
The bash-ahead-regardless variety? (repeatedly proved)

Try to ignore, life's to short etc
Who maybe intended to move all along? (They never bought a proper
nameplate - perhaps that should have been my clue).

Funnily enough the main-door property adjacent to mine (part of a block)
has changed hands many times over the years whilst my other neighbours
have been around for yonks (a nice bunch too), nobody seems to warm to
the main-door flat and it is often bought to let out.

Then again, I'm so slow to cut my grass (not theirs) that maybe they're
moving to get away from me!

:-)
--
fred