s--p--o--n--i--x

Default Painting exterior plastic

I have some exterior plastic air vents that I need to paint to match
an existing wall colour.

(I'm unable to find out what sort of plastic they are but *think* they
are probably some form of ABS.)

What is the best way of painting these? I'm thinking of spraying them
with some form of Plastic primer before overpainting with exterior
gloss.

Is there a better way?

sponix
andrewpreece

"s--p--o--n--i--x" wrote in message
I have some exterior plastic air vents that I need to paint to match
an existing wall colour.

(I'm unable to find out what sort of plastic they are but *think* they
are probably some form of ABS.)

What is the best way of painting these? I'm thinking of spraying them
with some form of Plastic primer before overpainting with exterior
gloss.

Is there a better way?

sponix

Plastic guttering and drainpipes don't seem to require primer. One exception
is Hammerite which beads up when used on plastic.

Andy.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
I have some exterior plastic air vents that I need to paint to match
an existing wall colour.

(I'm unable to find out what sort of plastic they are but *think* they
are probably some form of ABS.)

What is the best way of painting these? I'm thinking of spraying them
with some form of Plastic primer before overpainting with exterior
gloss.

They're probably PVC. If they're well de-greased just gloss direct. Did
some grey downpipes in black and it lasted far better than any of the
woodwork.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:36:52 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
I have some exterior plastic air vents that I need to paint to match
an existing wall colour.

(I'm unable to find out what sort of plastic they are but *think* they
are probably some form of ABS.)

What is the best way of painting these? I'm thinking of spraying them
with some form of Plastic primer before overpainting with exterior
gloss.

They're probably PVC. If they're well de-greased just gloss direct. Did
some grey downpipes in black and it lasted far better than any of the
woodwork.

So why do they sell "plastic primer" in B&Q?

sponix

Tim Mitchell

In article , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:36:52 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
I have some exterior plastic air vents that I need to paint to match
an existing wall colour.

(I'm unable to find out what sort of plastic they are but *think* they
are probably some form of ABS.)

What is the best way of painting these? I'm thinking of spraying them
with some form of Plastic primer before overpainting with exterior
gloss.

They're probably PVC. If they're well de-greased just gloss direct. Did
some grey downpipes in black and it lasted far better than any of the
woodwork.

So why do they sell "plastic primer" in B&Q?

because people who don't read uk.d-i-y buy it
--
Tim Mitchell
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:03:58 +0100, Tim Mitchell
wrote:

because people who don't read uk.d-i-y buy it

LOL!

sponix
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
They're probably PVC. If they're well de-greased just gloss direct. Did
some grey downpipes in black and it lasted far better than any of the
woodwork.

So why do they sell "plastic primer" in B&Q?

For the same reasons they sell bedroom paint. Kitchen paint. Garage paint.
Etc. To con you out of money.

There are so many plastics that one primer couldn't possibly suit them all
equally.

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:36:18 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

For the same reasons they sell bedroom paint. Kitchen paint. Garage paint.
Etc. To con you out of money.

There are so many plastics that one primer couldn't possibly suit them all

Just had an email from the manufacturer (In Italian!) and it is made
from ABS.

Will normal paint stick to ABS?

sponix
The Natural Philosopher

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:

I have some exterior plastic air vents that I need to paint to match
an existing wall colour.

(I'm unable to find out what sort of plastic they are but *think* they
are probably some form of ABS.)

What is the best way of painting these? I'm thinking of spraying them
with some form of Plastic primer before overpainting with exterior
gloss.

Is there a better way?

I have slapped on house paint - sandtex - on mine and its still sticking
after three years...
sponix

Owain

s--p--o--n--i--x wrote:
There are so many plastics that one primer couldn't possibly suit them all

Just had an email from the manufacturer (In Italian!) and it is made
from ABS.
Will normal paint stick to ABS?

Car spray paint works quite well on ABS but try a small area first as
some paint will dissolve ABS

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Will normal paint stick to ABS?

I expect so, AFAIK only 'waxy' plastics like PVC, uPVC need special
treatment.

No - ordinary oil paint sticks very well to PVC. Polythene is the stuff
that doesn't take paint easily.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Pete C

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:19:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Will normal paint stick to ABS?

I expect so, AFAIK only 'waxy' plastics like PVC, uPVC need special
treatment.

No - ordinary oil paint sticks very well to PVC. Polythene is the stuff
that doesn't take paint easily.

Oops, that's the one...

cheers,
Pete.