Connan the Stamp Collector

Default Ahhh, WoodWorm

Hi All,
I have just discovered my sofa is infested (big time) with WoodWorm (it
collapsed!).
It's now sat in the garden waiting for cremation; I have had a good look
around the rest of the room (had a good clean-up) and can find no other
evidence, should I be woried about the flooring joists, roof timbers, other
furnature etc?

Would it cost much to get the house fumigated just in case?

Many thanks for any advice.

Mike

"Connan the Stamp Collector" Nospam wrote in message
Hi All,
I have just discovered my sofa is infested (big time) with WoodWorm (it
collapsed!).
It's now sat in the garden waiting for cremation; I have had a good look
around the rest of the room (had a good clean-up) and can find no other
evidence, should I be woried about the flooring joists, roof timbers,

other
furnature etc?

Would it cost much to get the house fumigated just in case?

Probably wouldn't help at the moment as they've all just 'flown the nest'.
Key thing is to stop them returning later this year.

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:35:07 +0100, "Connan the Stamp Collector"
Nospam wrote:

I have just discovered my sofa is infested (big time) with WoodWorm

What sort ? Got any bodies ? Got a hole diameter ?

Get out to a garden hardware shop and get yourself some yellow sticky
fly papers. Try and catch them quickly, before they get to laying more
eggs.

If your sofa got to the point of collapse though, they've probably been
emerging for a year or two.

Would it cost much to get the house fumigated just in case?

Fumigation won't help - needs to be liquid, applied in the right
location. You're going to have to watch out for boreholes and frass
appearing (for a couple of years), then spray as needed.

The real hazard depends on the species, the timber species of your sofa,
and the timber species of any attractive food timber nearby.

Connan the Stamp Collector wrote:
Hi All,
I have just discovered my sofa is infested (big time) with WoodWorm (it
collapsed!).
It's now sat in the garden waiting for cremation; I have had a good look
around the rest of the room (had a good clean-up) and can find no other
evidence, should I be woried about the flooring joists, roof timbers, other
furnature etc?

Would it cost much to get the house fumigated just in case?

Many thanks for any advice.

woodworm only live in damp wood, the way to get rid of them is to fix
any damp problem. The question is why was your sofa damp.

Fumigation etc is neither the solution nor an especially good idea.

NT

Pete C

Nospam wrote:

Hi All,
I have just discovered my sofa is infested (big time) with WoodWorm (it
collapsed!).
It's now sat in the garden waiting for cremation; I have had a good look
around the rest of the room (had a good clean-up) and can find no other
evidence, should I be woried about the flooring joists, roof timbers, other
furnature etc?

Would it cost much to get the house fumigated just in case?

Many thanks for any advice.

Hi,

Could be the sofa frame was made of ash which woodworm love. Have a
careful look at the floor particularly where the feet of the sofa
were.

Probably worth taking some boards up to see if there are any holes
between board and joist. The worms don't emerge from wood until they
turn into flying things.

cheers,
Pete.
AlexW

Pete C wrote:
snip

Probably worth taking some boards up to see if there are any holes
between board and joist. The worms don't emerge from wood until they
turn into flying things.

Also, AIUI the lifecycle of beetle is several years (but varies on
species). So it would be worth keeping an eye out for flight holes /
debris for some time to come.

cheers,
Pete.

HTH,

Alex.

You don't usually see the beetles themselves, if it's common furniture
beetle yo uare talking about. The man from protim who did a
de-infestation job for me said he had bee n doing it for years and had
only ever seen a beetle in the laboratory.
House structural timbers these days are impregnataed against attack
but in older houses they might not be.

Mary Fisher

"Richard Conway" ShoobiddyDoobiddyDoopDoopDoopWah@com wrote in message

I lived in a scabby student flat once that had two wardrobes and a table
riddled with the things. We moved in in the September and were amazed at
how many of what we considered to be dead flies there were about the
place. The next year at the start of summer it became aparrent where they
were comming from. If you watched the exit holes for a bit you wouldn't
have to wait long before you'd see one of the beetles emerge. There were
hundreds of them and they would crunch if you squashed them. It got to the
point where we put the wardrobes and the table in one room and left them
to it.

I like the idea of sacrifical wardrobes!

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

woodworm only live in damp wood,

WHAT???

Mary Fisher

I lived in a scabby student flat once

I can't resist ... why were the students scabby?

Mary

woodworm in chipboard Steve McGuire UK diy 7 March 3rd 20 11:13 AM
Woodworm in new bedframe [email protected] UK diy 18 June 3rd 05 10:44 AM
Woodworm above lath & plaster in attic Flat Eric UK diy 13 March 24th 05 08:10 AM
Woodworm hes4tres UK diy 2 February 2nd 04 10:46 PM
Floorboard sanding rexposed some woodworm tunnels Frank Watson UK diy 2 August 15th 03 10:47 PM