Junior Member

Question Help with patching plaster please pics inside

Hi

I'm redoing both the bedrooms in my terrace house before i go travelling. I want to get the walls skimmed so i can redecorate but the problem ive got is that when i took the wallpaper off alot of the plaster was cracked and lose against the wall so it had to be removed which has left me with this see pics.

If you look at the edges they are all diff depths from the wall at the top the plaster comes away from the wall about 1 1/2 inches and at the sides its all around an inch from the wall.

My question is how do i prepare this for skimming? my next door neighbour said cut up plasterboard and use some kind of adhesive to stick the board to the brick. How do i get it all level if all the edges are different depths from the wall?

Thanks aaron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1.JPG (34.0 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg P2.JPG (34.1 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg E1.JPG (34.2 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg E2.JPG (34.2 KB, 364 views)
The Natural Philosopher

mood wrote:

Hi

I'm redoing both the bedrooms in my terrace house before i go
travelling. I want to get the walls skimmed so i can redecorate but the
problem ive got is that when i took the wallpaper off alot of the
plaster was cracked and lose against the wall so it had to be removed
which has left me with this see pics.

If you look at the edges they are all diff depths from the wall at the
top the plaster comes away from the wall about 1 1/2 inches and at the
sides its all around an inch from the wall.

My question is how do i prepare this for skimming? my next door
neighbour said cut up plasterboard and use some kind of adhesive to
stick the board to the brick. How do i get it all level if all the
edges are different depths from the wall?

Use bonding plaster in up to 1/2" thick layers.

If thats too expensive you can probably stick plasterboard to brick with it.

But still use bonding to get within 4-5mm of finished surface. Score it
while wet then skim the lot - better still get a pro to skim it. I can't
get the hang of plastering meself.

Thanks aaron

|Filename: E2.JPG |
|Download: https://www.diybanter.com/attachments/uk-diy/89-help-patching-plaster-please-pics-inside-e2-jpg |

Mark S.

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:00:50 +0100, mood
wrote:

Hi

I'm redoing both the bedrooms in my terrace house before i go
travelling. I want to get the walls skimmed so i can redecorate but the
problem ive got is that when i took the wallpaper off alot of the
plaster was cracked and lose against the wall so it had to be removed
which has left me with this see pics.

If you look at the edges they are all diff depths from the wall at the
top the plaster comes away from the wall about 1 1/2 inches and at the
sides its all around an inch from the wall.

My question is how do i prepare this for skimming? my next door
neighbour said cut up plasterboard and use some kind of adhesive to
stick the board to the brick. How do i get it all level if all the
edges are different depths from the wall?

Thanks aaron

|Filename: E2.JPG |
|Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89 |

Easiest sort of plastering to do as you've an edge to go to. :-)

Mark S.

ben

Buy a bag of dry wall plaster this is great for the work you have.
Finish plaster has a tendancy to bulge out when you apply too much at the
same area DWP does not do this.

It goes hard quick but spraying water on it to keep it manageble helps.
When it set's it goes rockhard.

ben

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
(snip)
But still use bonding to get within 4-5mm of finished surface. Score
it while wet then skim the lot - better still get a pro to skim it. I
can't get the hang of plastering meself.

Thanks aaron

Filename: E2.JPG |
Download: http://www.diybanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=89 |

You'll be no good on a binge then. :-)

Plaster Problem... Matt Durkin UK diy 19 July 5th 04 03:00 PM
DIY SOS Last Night - Lime and Sand plaster? Saeed UK diy 6 July 4th 04 04:50 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
Plaster Skim Tips Andy Hide UK diy 4 November 12th 03 02:38 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM