Junior Member

Unhappy Driven Mad By Stenciling

Hi folks,
I have just regsitered to this site in the hope that someone can help me. I recently moved into a house where the previous occupier was stencil mad. I painted all walls with 3 coats but at certain light angles I can still see the stencil writing showing through. I am reluctant to buy more paint as I think that there may be simple solution that I am missing. The walls are plasterboard and I think the stencils were done with somesort of oil based paint but I am not sure.. I was using an ordinary emulsion for the walls. Do I have to use an undercoat first or something else
Look forward to any help.....cheers.
BigWallop

"Trav" wrote in message

Hi folks,
I have just regsitered to this site in the hope that someone can help
me. I recently moved into a house where the previous occupier was
stencil mad. I painted all walls with 3 coats but at certain light
angles I can still see the stencil writing showing through. I am
reluctant to buy more paint as I think that there may be simple
solution that I am missing. The walls are plasterboard and I think the
stencils were done with somesort of oil based paint but I am not sure..
I was using an ordinary emulsion for the walls. Do I have to use an
undercoat first or something else
Look forward to any help.....cheers.

Trav

Aaaahhhhh!!!!! Stencilling!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!! :-)

The only sure way of covering it is to hang lining paper. An oil based
paint is quite difficult to cover up, especially if the new colour is a lot
lighter. So, I Think, the only sure way is to cover it with lining paper
first. Hanging paper is an easy job, and especially so with lining paper.

Set Square

Trav wrote:

Hi folks,
I have just regsitered to this site in the hope that someone can help
me. I recently moved into a house where the previous occupier was
stencil mad. I painted all walls with 3 coats but at certain light
angles I can still see the stencil writing showing through. I am
reluctant to buy more paint as I think that there may be simple
solution that I am missing. The walls are plasterboard and I think
the stencils were done with somesort of oil based paint but I am not
sure.. I was using an ordinary emulsion for the walls. Do I have to
use an undercoat first or something else
Look forward to any help.....cheers.

Wallpaper?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rob

Hi,

I bought a house that had dark blue stenciling on light pink walls.
Repainted it with a sort of light china blue colour. It seemed to hide
it away until after some temperature cycles from winter to summer and
the new paint cracked all along the outline of the stencil that was
underneath.

The solution was Dulux professional primer/sealer. Not sure if it is
called that anymore. It definately wasn't waterbased.

Bob Smith \(UK\)

"Set Square" wrote in message
Trav wrote:

Hi folks,
I have just regsitered to this site in the hope that someone can help
me. I recently moved into a house where the previous occupier was
stencil mad. I painted all walls with 3 coats but at certain light
angles I can still see the stencil writing showing through. I am
reluctant to buy more paint as I think that there may be simple
solution that I am missing. The walls are plasterboard and I think
the stencils were done with somesort of oil based paint but I am not
sure.. I was using an ordinary emulsion for the walls. Do I have to
use an undercoat first or something else
Look forward to any help.....cheers.

I had a door where some numbskull (called Colin) had painted his name, then
painted the door. He must have let it dry in between, because you could see
it clear as day.

When I came to painting it, I sanded it down first (just fine grade), not to
bare wood, just to remove the raised "numbskull" section. Painted over it,
and you can't see a thing now. This would stop the cracking mentioned in
another post too.

Bob

Trav wrote:
Hi folks,
I have just regsitered to this site in the hope that someone can help
me. I recently moved into a house where the previous occupier was
stencil mad. I painted all walls with 3 coats but at certain light
angles I can still see the stencil writing showing through. I am
reluctant to buy more paint as I think that there may be simple
solution that I am missing. The walls are plasterboard and I think the
stencils were done with somesort of oil based paint but I am not sure..
I was using an ordinary emulsion for the walls. Do I have to use an
undercoat first or something else
Look forward to any help.....cheers.

One solution would have been to paint a solid border over the
stenciling using the same paint as the stencil. You could probably
still do it, though youd need several more coats over that. Otherwise
use one of the paints designed for this, see screwfix.com.

NT

Rick

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:46:00 +0100, Trav
wrote:

Hi folks,
I have just regsitered to this site in the hope that someone can help
me. I recently moved into a house where the previous occupier was
stencil mad. I painted all walls with 3 coats but at certain light
angles I can still see the stencil writing showing through. I am
reluctant to buy more paint as I think that there may be simple
solution that I am missing. The walls are plasterboard and I think the
stencils were done with somesort of oil based paint but I am not sure..
I was using an ordinary emulsion for the walls. Do I have to use an
undercoat first or something else
Look forward to any help.....cheers.

In my experience, you need to sandpaper the stensils.

When my daughter was younger, we had new plaster, so we painted it, I
let her paint her name. I assumed wallpapering over the extra thick
paint she used would cover it up, but alas, I can still see her name
as a raised arae in the wallpaper. Since then I have sandpapered them
out.

Rick