Junior Member

Unhappy No Comprende extractor ducting

I am currently in the process of having a kitchen fitted by a couple of very good Polish builders who speak very little English.I recently purchased a
conventional Extractor and the builders have said it would be far better
to remove the air outside plus there is already a large vent hole where it will
be positioned. I rang the company where i bought the extractor / Kitchen
and they said I would need 2metres of ducting tube/2 Jubilee clips/a through wall tube + a non return valve. When i described this 2 my builders they looked at said no you just need a pipe from the extractor to the outside?

any takers on what both parties are on about ?

I no nothing about this -help
Lobster

Devon wrote:
I am currently in the process of having a kitchen fitted by a couple
of very good Polish builders who speak very little English.I recently
purchased a conventional Extractor and the builders have said it
would be far better to remove the air outside plus there is already a
large vent hole where it will be positioned. I rang the company where
i bought the extractor / Kitchen and they said I would need 2metres
of ducting tube/2 Jubilee clips/a through wall tube + a non return
valve. When i described this 2 my builders they looked at said no you
just need a pipe from the extractor to the outside?

What exactly do you mean by a "conventional extractor" - are you talking
about a cooker hood or an extractor fan that you'd mount vertically
directly at a hole in a glass pane or a wall?

Knowing that info would greatly help with offering some advice!

--
David
Calvin

They're both right, it sort of depends if you want to do the job or to
do it properly.
The pipe is called ducting and your kitchen company probably sell it in
2 metre lengths. It can be rigid or flexible. You'll need to fix it
to the fan and the outlet so you'll probably want 2 jubilee clips or
you could just use some gaffer tape. A non-return (or flap) valve
isn't essential but it will stop outside air being blown in when the
wind's in the wrong direction. You'll probably also want an outlet
grill as a bare ended pipe isn't very pretty and is a bit of an
invitation to the local wildlife.

Try QVS on Coldhams Road. Not only have they got all this stuff
cheaply but their catalogue has got pictures. Come to think of it

their catalogue is online too at www.qvsdirect.co.uk

Grill with flaps to keep the wind out.
--
Jim on Tyneside UK
Remove X to email me.
Calvin

Opps, sorry I forgot I was in uk.d-i-y and not cam.misc !
QVS are still online but they are only on Coldhams Road if you happen
to be in Cambridge.

BigWallop

"Devon" wrote in message
news

I am currently in the process of having a kitchen fitted by a couple of
very good Polish builders who speak very little English.I recently
purchased a
conventional Extractor and the builders have said it would be far
better
to remove the air outside plus there is already a large vent hole where
it will
be positioned. I rang the company where i bought the extractor /
Kitchen
and they said I would need 2metres of ducting tube/2 Jubilee clips/a
through wall tube + a non return valve. When i described this 2 my
builders they looked at said no you just need a pipe from the extractor
to the outside?

any takers on what both parties are on about ?

I no nothing about this -help

Devon

Your builder probable needs one bit of 110 mm (4'') diameter pipe for
through the wall. If the extractor has an outlet point directly on the
rear, then the pipe fits through the wall, and extractor sits over it.
Viola, done.

You'll need a grille on the outside with a fly (insect) screen on it, but
that's not to do anything else but keep the flying / crawling bugs out your
house. If the extractor maker says you need a one way flap in the system,
then all you need is a grille that has gravity dropping flaps on it to stop
the wind blowing back up the pipe.

Go with your builder on this, as the extractor company only want more money
from you.