monsoon

Default Paraffin oil to protect garden furniture

hello, the care instructions for my Habitat garden furniture (oiled
oak) recommend that I should oil it regularly using Paraffin/Vaselin
oil.

Do you know where it can be purchased?

thank you,
CM

Andy Dingley

On 13 Jun 2005 09:13:37 -0700, "monsoon" wrote:

hello, the care instructions for my Habitat garden furniture (oiled
oak) recommend that I should oil it regularly using Paraffin/Vaselin
oil.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category.asp?cat_id=206902

The Organoil stuff is good.
Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category.asp?cat_id=206902

The Organoil stuff is good.

Tell me more, please?

Mary

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:28:41 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

The Organoil stuff is good.

Tell me more, please?

It's a tung oil base with a bunch of extra plant resins added to improve
UV and anti-weather behaviour. Being Australian they make it from
eucalyptus, kangaroo droppings and boiled up didgeridoos (or something).

The advantages are that it's light on petrochemical solvents, so it's
low-smell, easy to apply without a risk of sticky patches that won't dry
if you over-apply it, and pretty "green" if your client is into that. It
also stores well, as it doesn't thicken up in the tin from these
solvents going walkabout.

The garden oil is as good as anything else, but the woodturning polishes
are the ones that are really outstanding. They're exceptionally quick to
apply and produce a finished item with a hardened and smell-free finish
on, ready for delivery. Great stuff for turning demonstrations at shows.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

The Organoil stuff is good.

Tell me more, please?

It's a tung oil base with a bunch of extra plant resins added to improve
UV and anti-weather behaviour. Being Australian they make it from
eucalyptus, kangaroo droppings and boiled up didgeridoos (or something).

No koala fat?

The advantages are that it's light on petrochemical solvents, so it's
low-smell, easy to apply without a risk of sticky patches that won't dry
if you over-apply it, and pretty "green" if your client is into that. It
also stores well, as it doesn't thicken up in the tin from these
solvents going walkabout.

Right, thanks for that.

The garden oil is as good as anything else, but the woodturning polishes
are the ones that are really outstanding. They're exceptionally quick to
apply and produce a finished item with a hardened and smell-free finish
on, ready for delivery. Great stuff for turning demonstrations at shows.

We don't do that but I wonder if it's food safe?

Mary

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:02:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

No koala fat?

You ever seen a fat koala ?

We don't do that but I wonder if it's food safe?

These days I'm not sure if _food_ is food-safe.

You're skipping the white spirit component in most other finish, which
is of course terrible stuff for liver damage, whether you're breathing
or eating it. OTOH, there are various terpenes and phenols in "plant
resins" and true turpentines, and they're little understood.

Better than lacquer I guess 8-)

Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:02:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

No koala fat?

You ever seen a fat koala ?

er - no. Never seen a thin one either.Or even an in-between one ...

OK, Guv, you've caught me out there!

We don't do that but I wonder if it's food safe?

These days I'm not sure if _food_ is food-safe.

Not what most people eat but I'm OK with my recycled goatskin:-)

You're skipping the white spirit component in most other finish, which
is of course terrible stuff for liver damage, whether you're breathing
or eating it. OTOH, there are various terpenes and phenols in "plant
resins" and true turpentines, and they're little understood.

Yes ... turpentine's been used as a medicine. And lots of people (NOT ME)
swear by propolis (plant resin) andsome make a lot of money selling it for
therapeutic purposes.

Better than lacquer I guess 8-)

AAAAAaarrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..........

Paraffin oil to protect garden furniture [email protected] UK diy 8 June 14th 05 01:21 PM
Garden Furniture David Lang UK diy 4 June 11th 05 09:06 PM
Garden furniture water stains Bill UK diy 2 January 9th 05 01:10 AM
Garden Furniture water stains Bill UK diy 0 January 8th 05 09:47 PM
Garden furniture plans required Harry Woodworking 1 September 7th 03 08:47 AM