Member

Location: Birmingham
Default Is sealer for block paver any good?

My block paved front drive (usually has two cars on it) is about 3 years old. I recently gave it a good clean with patio cleaner & a hose, & used a wire brush to get all the green moss/gunge out of the gaps. Most of the sand between the blocks has long since washed away, so I plan to sweep in some kiln dried sand. Is it worth sealing the blocks with sealer before I do this? Not really bothered about waterproofing it, but I imagine it will enhance the colour a bit (a little faded) & keep it from staining/getting dirty quickly.
rrh

--
Pufter

I'd seal after you sweep the new sand in. Should help delay the inevitable
emergence of weeds in the cracks. In my case it took 18 months for weeds to
show (installed October, sealed with two coats the following March, weeds
start showing in March-April of the following year).

cs

Pufter wrote:
My block paved front drive (usually has two cars on it) is about 3 years
old. I recently gave it a good clean with patio cleaner & a hose, & used
a wire brush to get all the green moss/gunge out of the gaps. Most of
the sand between the blocks has long since washed away, so I plan to
sweep in some kiln dried sand. Is it worth sealing the blocks with
sealer before I do this? Not really bothered about waterproofing it,
but I imagine it will enhance the colour a bit (a little faded) & keep
it from staining/getting dirty quickly.

Clean it well first (oh, I see you have). It brings out the colour
and it makes it a lot easier to clean (a *lot* easier, trust me!).
You could also look at Marshall's Keybond which I think is applied
after you've filled the gaps with kiln dried sand, and which I think
both bonds and seals (I only found out *after* I had sealed my paving,
*before* filling in the gaps).