Default Another boiler in bathroom question!

I bought a house at auction and the boiler is in the bathroom. It's
fully working so I'd prefer not to move it, but it is only 1.63m from
the bath at the nearest point, and there is a shower over the bath too.
I assume this would not pass a corgi inspection.

Is it allowed to box the boiler in so that it is watertight and leave
it in this position or will it have to be moved? Or perhaps there are
other alternatives?

TIA

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrew. One more question. It has a fused
switched supply in the bathroom next to the boiler, is this ok?

Owain

OldBill wrote:
I have an interest in a property that had a boiler (water heater) in the
bathroom. The surveyor told me that apart from being a poss safety
hazard, any gas appliance in a bathroom was a very negative selling
point. This was due to deaths of e.g. students because of carbon
monoxide poisoning.

"open flue" gas appliances like "geysers" are now illegal in bathrooms
(and rather undesirable in most other locations).

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
OldBill wrote:
I have an interest in a property that had a boiler (water heater) in the
bathroom. The surveyor told me that apart from being a poss safety
hazard, any gas appliance in a bathroom was a very negative selling
point. This was due to deaths of e.g. students because of carbon
monoxide poisoning.

Due to faulty non room sealed water heaters. But those would be rare
these days. RS multi-points have been around for ages, and they can't
introduce CO to the room.

I fitted my RS central heating boiler in the bathroom because at that time
it had to be a floor standing type. And the only place it could go in the
kitchen would have been very inconvenient due to the layout. Across the
end outside wall part is covered with the outside loo and near the rest is
window. On the other outside wall, part is covered by a conservatory, and
much of the rest by patio doors. So a very small 'window' of positioning
to comply with the regs for the terminal.

Neighbours with similar design houses had them fitted in the outside loo,
which of course is then not one anymore. And very inconvenient for the
pipework because of a solid floor.

Since I'd enlarged the original tiny bathroom by incorporating the bedroom
behind it and the corridor to that, I wasn't short of space there. So
fitted the boiler and storage cylinder in there - and of course it's nice
and warm always.

It seems strange to me to regard the kitchen as the norm for a boiler as
most will already have excess heat at times. Whereas a bathroom can rarely
be too hot. Of course, modern boilers will have less heat 'loss' and one
of my required size can be now wall mounted. And flue arrangements are
more flexible.

However, when I come to replace the boiler, it's staying where it is. ;-)

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
OldBill writes:
I have an interest in a property that had a boiler (water heater) in the
bathroom. The surveyor told me that apart from being a poss safety
hazard, any gas appliance in a bathroom was a very negative selling
point. This was due to deaths of e.g. students because of carbon
monoxide poisoning.

That was open flued appliances, most commonly, the
old Ascot type instant water heaters. People would run
them to fill and top up the bath, having blocked up all
the drafty ventilation holes into the bathroom which
supplied the required oxygen for it. They were killing
around 40 people a year, and continued to exist in
rented student digs long after they should have been
condemmed.

When we took over the property the 1st thing we did was rip out this
bathroom gas water heater and the boiler in the kitchen and replace both
with a combi in the kitchen.

A modern room sealed gas appliance in a bathroom is not
an issue.

--
Andrew Gabriel