Default Problem with hot water / central heating

Hello,

I have a gravity hot water / pumped central heating system. I drained
the system to replace a radiator, and on refilling have the following
results:

Hot water is not heating. Boiler turns on, but cycles off after about
30 second.
Radiators are not filling up with water, despite tying to bleed them.

I have checked the header tank, and it is full. The layout of the
heating is that the boiler and hot water cyllender are on the first
floor, with all the central heating pipes in the ceiling of the ground
floor (with pipes going down to each radiator on the ground floor).

Any ideas?

Thanks for any info,

Tony Lennard

Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a gravity hot water / pumped central heating system. I drained
the system to replace a radiator, and on refilling have the following
results:

Hot water is not heating. Boiler turns on, but cycles off after about
30 second.
Radiators are not filling up with water, despite tying to bleed them.

I have checked the header tank, and it is full. The layout of the
heating is that the boiler and hot water cyllender are on the first
floor, with all the central heating pipes in the ceiling of the ground
floor (with pipes going down to each radiator on the ground floor).

Any ideas?

Probably airlocked - connect hose pipe to drain cock and gently introduce
water untill it comes out of the header tank overflow, then try bleeding
rads as normal, finally don't forget to add inhibitor to the system

Regards Jeff

Set Square

Jeff wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I agree with that. Another thought - is there a tap or gate valve in the
feed from the fill and expansion tank to the system? If so, is it open?

Yet another thought - you *are* looking at the right header tank, aren't
you? The important one here is the small fill & expansion tank which feeds
the primary circuit - *not* the larger header tank which feeds the hot DHW
cylinder. Make sure that there is water in the small tank - and that it's
ball valve isn't stuck shut.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Alec

I have a gravity hot water / pumped central heating system. I drained
the system to replace a radiator, and on refilling have the following
results:

These are the kind of problems that made me convert to a fully-pumped,
sealed system last year.
It was quite easy after a bit of planning. The hot water heating is much
improved and I never have air in the system (since I fitted an air
separator).
The FAQ covers most of what you need to know.

Rgds
Alec

Ed Sirett

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 15:31:29 -0700, tonylennard2000 wrote:

Hello,

I have a gravity hot water / pumped central heating system. I drained
the system to replace a radiator, and on refilling have the following
results:

Hot water is not heating. Boiler turns on, but cycles off after about
30 second.
Radiators are not filling up with water, despite tying to bleed them.

I have checked the header tank, and it is full. The layout of the
heating is that the boiler and hot water cyllender are on the first
floor, with all the central heating pipes in the ceiling of the ground
floor (with pipes going down to each radiator on the ground floor).

Any ideas?

Thanks for any info,

I would strongly suspect a limescale plug at or near where the feed pipe
enter the main circuit.

Thanks for the promt reply - it worked a treat!

Thanks

Tony Lennard