John

Default Tiling & MDF

I am about to do some "boxing in" of pipes etc in the bathroom, and wish to
tile the boxes after. How well will tiles stick to MDF? Should I prepare
the MDF surface first or use something else instead?

TIA

John

The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:

I am about to do some "boxing in" of pipes etc in the bathroom, and wish to
tile the boxes after. How well will tiles stick to MDF? Should I prepare
the MDF surface first or use something else instead?

Some say PVA it, but to be honest I have tiled over it as is, with no
especial problems.

TIA

John

Mike Halmarack

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:40:34 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

I am about to do some "boxing in" of pipes etc in the bathroom, and wish to
tile the boxes after. How well will tiles stick to MDF? Should I prepare
the MDF surface first or use something else instead?

TIA

John

It would help to varnish the MDF first. This would reduce the
absorption of bathroom moisture and it would also prevent the
tile adhesive being sucked dry too soon.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Andy Dingley

wrote:

I am about to do some "boxing in" of pipes etc in the bathroom, and wish to
tile the boxes after. How well will tiles stick to MDF?

When the MDF is flat they'll be OK. If you get any warping from
moisture effects, they'll pop off.

I use Valchromat for this, not MDF. It's pre-coloured MDF with extra
resin, so more stable in a moist environment. I've also used Viroc in
the past, a cement based board that's fit for outdoor use. However it's
so dusty you can't work it with your "good" saw, so I'm not altogether
keen on maching it.

As for adhesion, a coat of PVA first wouldn't hurt, but it works fine
without.

Jim S

wrote:

I am about to do some "boxing in" of pipes etc in the bathroom, and wish
tile the boxes after. How well will tiles stick to MDF?

When the MDF is flat they'll be OK. If you get any warping from
moisture effects, they'll pop off.

I use Valchromat for this, not MDF. It's pre-coloured MDF with extra
resin, so more stable in a moist environment. I've also used Viroc in
the past, a cement based board that's fit for outdoor use. However it's
so dusty you can't work it with your "good" saw, so I'm not altogether
keen on maching it.

As for adhesion, a coat of PVA first wouldn't hurt, but it works fine
without.

Adhesion is fine. I coated mine with PVA, but I've had two or three tiles
crack, presumably due to the MDF absorbing water and swelling and its a real
pain to replace those pesky cracked tiles!

Pete C

wrote:

I am about to do some "boxing in" of pipes etc in the bathroom, and wish to
tile the boxes after. How well will tiles stick to MDF? Should I prepare
the MDF surface first or use something else instead?

Hi,

I wouldn't use normal MDF and moisture resistant flooring chipboard is
only available in thick pieces. So some thinnish WBP ply or softwood
'construction WBP' or even OSB could be best, try boiling an offcut to
check you have the right stuff.

For sealing PVA or varnish should be fine, but worth checking with the
tile adhesive manufacturer.

cheers,
Pete.
Elwood

could you not box in with plasterboard (or the water resistant type)?
Would that be another alternative ? (I'm not an expert just struck me as
that will probably be what the rest of the walls are!!)

--
Dave aka ElwoodTZW
www.timezone-warriors.net
wrote:

I am about to do some "boxing in" of pipes etc in the bathroom, and wish
tile the boxes after. How well will tiles stick to MDF? Should I prepare
the MDF surface first or use something else instead?

Hi,

I wouldn't use normal MDF and moisture resistant flooring chipboard is
only available in thick pieces. So some thinnish WBP ply or softwood
'construction WBP' or even OSB could be best, try boiling an offcut to
check you have the right stuff.

For sealing PVA or varnish should be fine, but worth checking with the
tile adhesive manufacturer.

cheers,
Pete.

OldBill

ElwoodTZW wrote:
could you not box in with plasterboard (or the water resistant type)?
Would that be another alternative ? (I'm not an expert just struck me as
that will probably be what the rest of the walls are!!)

MDF works for me but in places where there could be wetting I use that
water resistant board of thetype they sell in B&Q. easier to
work/stronger than plasterboard but lot dearer.

Tiling on Bonding Plaster? Paul R UK diy 1 May 6th 05 09:30 PM
Bathroom tiling.. tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 March 4th 05 11:26 PM
Another Tiling Question Mike James UK diy 5 August 8th 04 11:36 AM
Quick tiling questions Bill Gardener UK diy 9 March 3rd 04 11:05 PM
Tiling a shower, how to transition from backer board (durock) to drywall Rich Home Repair 3 August 28th 03 12:29 AM