The Natural Philosopher

The Wanderer wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:17:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What you need is to show the leccy company that your pole mounted
transformer is inadequate, by e.g. switching on half a dozen 3KW heaters
and demonstreating the voltage is below spec. And with them off above spec..

No he doesn't, if you had read the OP instead of spouting off a load of
irrelevant drivel, you would see that he is complaining about a number of
short duration interruptions, or severe dips in supply voltage, lasting for
a second or two. Those are not typically caused by an overloaded
transformer.

Can be if neighbours are switching on kit.

I used to get a broiwnout when the microwave oven came on...

The overheads are not the problem: It's usually the excessively poor
transformers attached to them.

Bull****. Don't spout off about things that you obviously *know* little or
nothing about.

If he is at te end of a long overhead 11KV line and the actual supply is
flakey, then there is nothing he can do - but if his regualtion is poor,
then the transformner is implicated.

Look Actually I live in an identical sitiuation. On the end of a long
11KV overhead. Most of which dates back to 1930 or earlier.

Having replaced the transformer, my voltage REGULATION is far far better.

That obviously does not fix problems due to trees falling on the lines,
dodgy switchgear up poles, lightning strikes onto the lines and so on.
BUT at least by spending a bit of my own money I have taken half a mile
of overhead out of the link and put it underground.

Its not clear at all from the OP whether he has regulation problems or
outages or both.

But one assumes at least enough knowledge that he can distinguish that
outages are not fixsble by better termination equiuipment without your
rude comments to inform him.
The Wanderer

On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:16:24 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

snip

Its not clear at all from the OP whether he has regulation problems or
outages or both.

But one assumes at least enough knowledge that he can distinguish that
outages are not fixsble by better termination equiuipment without your
rude comments to inform him.

Your advice to him to forget the o/h line and any possible problems
attaching thereto and concentrate on just the transformer is misleading.
How you want to try and dress up that misleading advise is up to you. The
National Fault and Interruption Reporting Scheme (NaFIRS) doesn't support
your assertion.[1]

[1] Hint, I spent many years in the industry.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Advice on Domestic Electricity Supply 'Quality' L Reid UK diy 17 February 20th 04 01:32 PM
new electricity supply [email protected] UK diy 10 December 9th 03 04:37 PM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
Earthing Sparks UK diy 10 October 29th 03 01:27 AM
Undergrounding electric supply Nat UK diy 14 September 27th 03 03:23 PM