Bert Coules

Default Planing MDF

How well does MDF plane, if at all? I've constructed a three-sided
housing out of half-inch MDF to cover some pipes, but one edge is
proud and has to be brought down so it's flush with the face of the
next board. The amount to be removed isn't much, around
one-sixteenth, but this is over an eight foot length and the work has
to be done with the housing in place, so I'm reluctant to sand it
because of the mess.

So, to repeat: how well does MDF plane? Or is there another way? If
I do use a plane, I'll be buying or hiring one specially.

Many thanks.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Bert Coules

Rob Morley wrote:

It planes fine, but I suspect this job would be easier using a

router
with a straight trimmer bit and guide bearing.

Thanks for the reply. I have to confess that I've never used a
router. Is this a particularly skilful job? Can I be sure of
removing the excess without also cutting into the adjacent surface?

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

You'll want to hook
it up to a vacuum cleaner to avoid mess though.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:05:34 +0100, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

How well does MDF plane, if at all?

Pretty well, if you have a decent plane with a small mouth - a block
plane is best, and a low-angle if you have it.

OTOH, it's hard on the iron and you'll see faster wear than timber.

David Lang

Hi Bert
So, to repeat: how well does MDF plane? Or is there another way? If
I do use a plane, I'll be buying or hiring one specially.

Psychic MDF planes OK but knocks 7 bells out of plane irons. An 8' length
shouldn't be a problem though. Use a small block plane like this excellent
example http://tinyurl.com/dn7hs

If you buy a small block plane it probably won't have been sharpened or
honed. This little jobby uses disposable/reversible blades.

A block plane wont do the last 2" at each end (neither will router or
planer), so that will have to be sanded or chiselled by hand.

Dave

Bert Coules

Thanks to everyone for the replies. very helpful.

Dave,

Psychic MDF planes OK...

Psychic MDF? Does it know what you're planning to do to it, even
before you start?

Use a small block plane like this excellent
example http://tinyurl.com/dn7hs

That does look neat, and would be useful for other jobs too. One
thing that's not clear from the description is the width of the blade:
presumably it would be fine for my half-inch edge?

I used to have (and maybe still do, somewhere) a very small plane
which used Stanley knife blades. That was a useful bit of kit.

A block plane wont do the last 2" at each end (neither will router

or
planer), so that will have to be sanded or chiselled by hand.

Yes, I'd worked that bit out. The bottom doesn't matter as it will be
hidden by skirting, but I'll have to do a neat job on the top end.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Rick

wrote:

How well does MDF plane, if at all? I've constructed a three-sided
housing out of half-inch MDF to cover some pipes, but one edge is
proud and has to be brought down so it's flush with the face of the
next board. The amount to be removed isn't much, around
one-sixteenth, but this is over an eight foot length and the work has
to be done with the housing in place, so I'm reluctant to sand it
because of the mess.

So, to repeat: how well does MDF plane? Or is there another way? If
I do use a plane, I'll be buying or hiring one specially.

Many thanks.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

It will plane just fine in the way you descibe, but it will make just
as much mess as sanding, as you will end up with a fine powder.

I suggest u wear a face mask & glasses, and have some for of "dust
extraxion"

Rick

Bert Coules

Rick,