Rick

Default Steel Tank

I have a huge hole in my garden, and insted of filling it with dirt, I
am thinking of putting a tank into it, and filling the tank with
rainwater to water my plants from.

If I use a steel tank, that you can get from ebay for 50 quid, will it
simply rust to a useless state in a copule of years ?

Thanks
Rick
Mary Fisher

"Rick" wrote in message
I have a huge hole in my garden, and insted of filling it with dirt, I
am thinking of putting a tank into it, and filling the tank with
rainwater to water my plants from.

If I use a steel tank, that you can get from ebay for 50 quid, will it
simply rust to a useless state in a copule of years ?

I doubt it. A son has a huge steel tank in his garden which he uses as a
wildlife pond. Yes, it's rusted but it still holds water after about twelve
years.

Mary

Thanks
Rick

Peter Stockdale

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Rick" wrote in message
I have a huge hole in my garden, and insted of filling it with dirt, I
am thinking of putting a tank into it, and filling the tank with
rainwater to water my plants from.

If I use a steel tank, that you can get from ebay for 50 quid, will it
simply rust to a useless state in a copule of years ?

I doubt it. A son has a huge steel tank in his garden which he uses as a
wildlife pond. Yes, it's rusted but it still holds water after about
twelve years.

Mary

Thanks
Rick

With the new bunded tank regs coming in to compulsory force in the autumn,
there should be a flood of non bunded steel stuff up for grabs for free.

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Aidan

Probably. You could try and get hold of a sacrificail anode, magnesium
alloy sold for use in water heaters. There also plastic 1000 litre bulk
storage containers sold on E-bay. Would the hole be suitable to put
down some sand & a pond liner?

Rick

On 22 May 2005 11:25:15 -0700, "Aidan" wrote:

Probably. You could try and get hold of a sacrificail anode, magnesium
alloy sold for use in water heaters. There also plastic 1000 litre bulk
storage containers sold on E-bay. Would the hole be suitable to put
down some sand & a pond liner?

Aidan

What do you do with the "sacrificail anode" ?

I have seen the plastic ones, too small. I am thinking a couple of
thousand gallons.

Thanks

Aidan

Connect the sacrificial anode to the tank with a bit of insulated cable
and drop it in the bottom of the tank. It will protect the inside of
the tank from corrosion. I don't think it will do anything for the
outside. I believe they protect pipelines with a buried sacrificial
anode, so an external one would probably work in the same way. The
anode will reduce to a small mound of metal corrosion salts in a few
months/years. Then you get another.

A scrap magnesium alloy wheel might work, but I don't know anything
about what's in the alloys used.

John

news:1116781167.f8f3675f328ac8db785ebd9381f5fae7@t eranews...

"Rick" wrote in message
I have a huge hole in my garden, and insted of filling it with dirt, I
am thinking of putting a tank into it, and filling the tank with
rainwater to water my plants from.

If I use a steel tank, that you can get from ebay for 50 quid, will it
simply rust to a useless state in a copule of years ?

I doubt it. A son has a huge steel tank in his garden which he uses as a
wildlife pond. Yes, it's rusted but it still holds water after about
twelve years.

Mary

Thanks
Rick

With the new bunded tank regs coming in to compulsory force in the autumn,
there should be a flood of non bunded steel stuff up for grabs for free.

Why? Whats wrong with building a masonary bund round your existing tank? Its
cheaper than buying a new double tank and has the advantage that when your
tank is in need of replacement all you need is another single skinned tank.
I always advise my customers to take this road rather than going down the
double plastic tank route

Dave Liquorice

On Sun, 22 May 2005 16:17:41 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I doubt it. A son has a huge steel tank in his garden which he uses
as a wildlife pond. Yes, it's rusted but it still holds water after
about twelve years.

Presumably it is galvanised. We have an old galvanised water tank
lying around out the back, odd patch of rust but nothing serious. It's
been outside at least five years and I wouldn't be surprised to find
out it had been out for the previous 15 to 20 either.

Mind this is in the open so does dry when it's not raining, bit
different to being in the damp ground...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Doctor Evil

"Rick" wrote in message
I have a huge hole in my garden, and insted of filling it with dirt, I
am thinking of putting a tank into it, and filling the tank with
rainwater to water my plants from.

If I use a steel tank, that you can get from ebay for 50 quid, will it
simply rust to a useless state in a copule of years ?

Thanks
Rick

Look into using a proper packaged rainwater harvesting system and put that
tank under the ground. It will eventually pay for itself when on a water
meter. It will also add value to your house.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
Andy Hall

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:10:45 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
.. .
I have a huge hole in my garden, and insted of filling it with dirt, I
am thinking of putting a tank into it, and filling the tank with
rainwater to water my plants from.

If I use a steel tank, that you can get from ebay for 50 quid, will it
simply rust to a useless state in a copule of years ?

Thanks
Rick

Look into using a proper packaged rainwater harvesting system and put that
tank under the ground. It will eventually pay for itself when on a water
meter. It will also add value to your house.

Yeah right....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 22 May 2005 16:17:41 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

I doubt it. A son has a huge steel tank in his garden which he uses
as a wildlife pond. Yes, it's rusted but it still holds water after
about twelve years.

Presumably it is galvanised.

No.

It takes a long time for rust to penetrate all but the thinnest steel when
it's under water. When it does, in son's case, water will either very
gradually leak out (as it does in a natual pond) or any perforations will be
bunged up with debris which will slow leakage.

As an aside, we have a butyl lined pond which obviously has a leak somewhere
but the level is maintained by rain. One of the jobs on our ToDo list is to
re-line the cavity ...

Heigh ho!

We have an old galvanised water tank
lying around out the back, odd patch of rust but nothing serious. It's
been outside at least five years and I wouldn't be surprised to find
out it had been out for the previous 15 to 20 either.

Mind this is in the open so does dry when it's not raining, bit
different to being in the damp ground...

Aidan

Walls around the tank, so that if the the tank or connections leak, the
spillage is contained and can be cleaned up rather than contaminating
all the local water courses. The bund should be capable of holding the
entire contents of the tank.

Dave Liquorice

On 23 May 2005 01:52:03 -0700, Aidan wrote:

Walls around the tank, so that if the the tank or connections leak,
the spillage is contained and can be cleaned up rather than
contaminating all the local water courses. The bund should be
capable of holding the entire contents of the tank.

110% of the tank contents. And as it's leak proof by nature you may
have to make arrangements for getting water from rain snow etc out of
it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Mary Fisher

"Aidan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Walls around the tank, so that if the the tank or connections leak, the
spillage is contained and can be cleaned up rather than contaminating
all the local water courses. The bund should be capable of holding the
entire contents of the tank.

Ah, thanks.

It's word I don't think I've never heard of.

Mary

Rick

On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:10:45 +0100, "Doctor Evil"
wrote:

"Rick" wrote in message
.. .
I have a huge hole in my garden, and insted of filling it with dirt, I
am thinking of putting a tank into it, and filling the tank with
rainwater to water my plants from.

If I use a steel tank, that you can get from ebay for 50 quid, will it
simply rust to a useless state in a copule of years ?

Thanks
Rick

Look into using a proper packaged rainwater harvesting system and put that
tank under the ground. It will eventually pay for itself when on a water
meter. It will also add value to your house.

If I am gonna spend serious money on this, I'll pump free water out
the nearby river. This is an idea to inexpensivly harvest my rain
water. You can take a certain ammount each day without licence. The
pump would be expensive, its only 100m away, but its a big vertical
drop.

I suppose the sort of 2000 gallon tank I am looking at could be used
for loo fluhes and the like as well.

Thanks
Rick

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download

Peter Stockdale

"John" wrote in message

Why? Whats wrong with building a masonary bund round your existing tank?
Its cheaper than buying a new double tank and has the advantage that when
your tank is in need of replacement all you need is another single skinned
tank.
I always advise my customers to take this road rather than going down the
double plastic tank route

I do not know your trade and therefore the nature of your "customers" so I
am not in a position to comment fully on your advice.
We have a non bunded kerosene ( 200G [c] ) storage tank on block stillage
and our fuel suppliers are currently quoting us for a replacement bunded
plastic jobby.
They have not come up with your advised system as an alternative.
Would you like to come up with a ballpark figure for a masonary bund ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Mike

"John" wrote in message

With the new bunded tank regs coming in to compulsory force in the
autumn, there should be a flood of non bunded steel stuff up for grabs
for free.

Why? Whats wrong with building a masonary bund round your existing tank?
Its cheaper than buying a new double tank and has the advantage that

when
your tank is in need of replacement all you need is another single

skinned
tank.
I always advise my customers to take this road rather than going down

the
double plastic tank route

Building your own bund requires two building control inspections plus the
hire of a compactor. That alone should make the double plastic tank route
cheaper.

Peter Stockdale

"Mike" wrote in message

Building your own bund requires two building control inspections plus the
hire of a compactor. That alone should make the double plastic tank route
cheaper.

Not arguing with that - waiting to hear John's explanation.

Regards
Pete

On Mon, 23 May 2005 13:53:03 GMT, Rick wrote:

If I am gonna spend serious money on this, I'll pump free water out
the nearby river. This is an idea to inexpensivly harvest my rain
water. You can take a certain ammount each day without licence. The
pump would be expensive, its only 100m away, but its a big vertical
drop.
Rick

Strictly speaking you can only abstract water from a water course if
it flows over your own land, and the amount that you can take before
needing a licence is restricted (although it's much more tham most
people would use).

Bill

John

"Mike" wrote in message

Building your own bund requires two building control inspections plus the
hire of a compactor. That alone should make the double plastic tank
route
cheaper.

Not arguing with that - waiting to hear John's explanation.

To be quite honest I hadn't met this. Can you quote the reference for this
particular requirement? There isn't any mention in the other references I
have sourced.

Rick

On Mon, 23 May 2005 19:00:10 +0100, "Peter Stockdale"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message

[...]

I have not worked out these bunded plastic tanks. To me it seems its
the outer one that will take all the ware & tare, so will likely fail
first, but you won't ever find that out till the inner one fails.

Rick

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"John" wrote in message

With the new bunded tank regs coming in to compulsory force in the
autumn, there should be a flood of non bunded steel stuff up for grabs
for free.

Why? Whats wrong with building a masonary bund round your existing tank?
Its cheaper than buying a new double tank and has the advantage that when
your tank is in need of replacement all you need is another single skinned
tank.
I always advise my customers to take this road rather than going down the
double plastic tank route

What's bunding?

Mary

There's a useful online search engine just waiting for you to type all
these questions into and is bursting to give you links to furnish you
with answers

it's called google

you can get there by typing www.google.co.uk into your web browser

e.g. http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/mao/bundingspill.htm

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

What's bunding?

Mary

There's a useful online search engine just waiting for you to type all
these questions into and is bursting to give you links to furnish you with
answers

it's called google

It doesn't always give the right answers though. If you rely on Google you
could be in trouble.

How do I know?

Because I do know some things about some subjects and not everything found
on Google is accurate about those subjects.

Hell, even the knowledgeable people here disagree about things :-)

Mary

Aidan

Cheapest place to get them is a ships chandler.

Good one, hadn't thought of that, noted for future reference.
The rate of erosion of the anode depends on the surface area of the
steel it's protecting and the acidity of the water. The little ones
supplied for water heaters would probably last a few months. The ones
I've seen used on steel water tanks were the about the volume of a
football and probably weighed 40 lbs.

John

"John" wrote in message

Why? Whats wrong with building a masonary bund round your existing tank?
Its cheaper than buying a new double tank and has the advantage that when
your tank is in need of replacement all you need is another single
skinned tank.
I always advise my customers to take this road rather than going down the
double plastic tank route

I do not know your trade and therefore the nature of your "customers" so I
am not in a position to comment fully on your advice.
We have a non bunded kerosene ( 200G [c] ) storage tank on block stillage
and our fuel suppliers are currently quoting us for a replacement bunded
plastic jobby.

200 Gallons is a pretty small tank. "Standard" sizes are 250 gallon 2ftW x
5ftL x 4ftH or 300gallon 2ft x 6ft x 4ft.

They have not come up with your advised system as an alternative.

Possibly because of a preference for do it in a day swap jobs.

Would you like to come up with a ballpark figure for a masonary bund ?

I wouldn't like to quote a price as this can vary wildly in different parts
of the country but you need to work on a concrete base which can support the
weight of the tank, masonary walls either block or brick with a render
lining and an epoxy paint type proofing coat. The volume of the bund should
be such that it can hold a minimum of 110% of the contents of the tank and
this may need to take account of any piers within the bund to support the
tank. The 110% is to take allowance for accumulated rain (NO drain valve is
allowed as someone will surely leave it open
The OFTEC standard books show outline plans for suitable constructions based
on a concrete base about 150mm thick. If you are in a position to do the
work yourself (this is a d-i-y group after all) the material costs should be
minimal based on sand and gravel, concrete blocks, rendering sand, cement,
and epoxy paint. I'd be surprised if materials for a bund for a 300 gallon
tank including base and piers came to more than £150. plus whatever you pay
yourself?
A single skin steel tank from a supplier in Hull would be IRO £140
collected. a double skin plastic tank would be around £700.

Peter Stockdale

"John" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for that , John .
There seems to be differing opinon on the best course of action.
I am now currently exploring the regs. to see if I can go unbunded using a
smaller tank.

Pete

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

What's bunding?

Mary

There's a useful online search engine just waiting for you to type all
these questions into and is bursting to give you links to furnish you with
answers

it's called google

It doesn't always give the right answers though. If you rely on Google you
could be in trouble.

How do I know?

Because I do know some things about some subjects and not everything found
on Google is accurate about those subjects.

Hell, even the knowledgeable people here disagree about things :-)

However ...

I typed the above into google and, hey presto, pages explaining exactly
what it was

Of course, nothing gives you the right answer all the time

but looking first and then asking if you can't find it, would, I suggest
being a better approach than asking here every time

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

[...]

Every time?

Heavens! How often do I ask for a technical definition?

Mary

--
geoff

Steve Firth wrote:
Aidan wrote:

Connect the sacrificial anode to the tank with a bit of insulated cable
and drop it in the bottom of the tank.

Or get a stud mounted anode which uses a through-tank fixing. Drill a
small hole, usually 8 or 10 mm throught he tank and push the stud on the
anode through the tank, fix with two nuts and shakeproof washers to the
outside. Anodes nead annual inspection and replacing every year to every
five years depending on actual wastage of the anode.

Cheapest place to get them is a ships chandler. About =A315 a pop. The
biggest UK supplier is M G Duff.

And no, I'm not making that up.

Probably cheaper to use a steel sacrificial anode and connect to a wall
wart, or possibly even mains via a high enough impedance. A reasonable
lump of steel should last long time. I dont know offhand how much
current is needed, but we're talking microamps/milliamps, so nothing
noticeable. Might cost a penny a decade or something.

NT

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

[...]

Did I say every time?

Just read what I typed

Heavens! How often do I ask for a technical definition?

Well it's usually about a TV series or something else topical [1]

[1] last thirty years or so

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

[...]

Not again! It was boring first time round :-)

Heavens! How often do I ask for a technical definition?

Well it's usually about a TV series or something else topical [1]

There are technical questions about TV series???

[1] last thirty years or so

--
geoff

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes
[...]

How can you say it was boring when you obviously didn't take on board
what I said

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! I really don't know why you're getting so uptight :-)

--
geoff

preparing a propane tank for reusal .. pix Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 January 26th 05 05:54 PM
DIY Heat Bank/Thermal Store system? (longish) Gordon Henderson UK diy 4 January 26th 05 07:32 AM
Making water tank with alluminum/stainless steel beer keg Robert Rolleston Home Repair 2 January 8th 05 05:46 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
"homemade" tool steel George Watson Metalworking 39 January 24th 04 12:06 AM