Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
al

Default wiring advice

Dear me .. nothing's ever simple! All I wanted to do was take a fused spur
from the ring mains where the switch for my boiler was so that I could power
a light ....

I opened the "junction box" there and found it was a chocolate box strip of
6 blocks, with loads of what looks like 1mm cabling (I say looks like
because I only tend to use 1.5 or 2.5mm). Really flexible stranded stuff
rather then solid core. There are 5 of these T&E cables coming in.

I'm slightly confused however as to just what I'm looking at. All of the
neutrals are connected in one block, but the earths and lives are in a
varied configuration that's hard to follow (access beside the boiler is
difficult and there's not a lot of slack in the wires). When I turn the
switch for the boiler off, none of the cables are live any more. When I
turn it on, two of the blocks are. Does this mean that the entire thing is
just a switched spur? A cable also comes out of this junction to the
heating controller unit, which accounts for two (along with the boiler
switch).

Out of the other 3 cables, two come up from under the floor together and the
other disappears into the wall behind. Don't have access to find out any
more about their onward journeys!

What can I do here? My intention was (assuming this was a normal junction
box), to add in a 2.5mm T&E spur to the junction to my fused box, then run
1.5mm T&E from that to the light switch.