antgel

Default Best all-round sander

Hi all,

What's the best sander _type_ for finishing off walls after activities
such as tile removal and after filling holes in plasterboard? I have a
"mouse" type one which I've used on little jobs before, but now think I
need something a little more substantial. I've seen belt (scary
looking things), random orbital, and 1/3 or 1/2 sheet things. I
assume that detail sanders are too small for this type of work.

Antony

Andy Dingley

On 21 May 2005 12:14:51 -0700, "antgel" wrote:

What's the best sander _type_ for finishing off walls after activities
such as tile removal and after filling holes in plasterboard?

Cork block and a few rolls of good quality sandpaper in various grades.

There are few tasks where a powered sander is better than hand sanding,
and none where these cheap "rodent" sanders are better.
Kaiser

"antgel" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

What's the best sander _type_ for finishing off walls after activities
such as tile removal and after filling holes in plasterboard? I have a
"mouse" type one which I've used on little jobs before, but now think I
need something a little more substantial. I've seen belt (scary
looking things), random orbital, and 1/3 or 1/2 sheet things. I
assume that detail sanders are too small for this type of work.

Antony

The best all round and value for money sander in my opinion is the Bosch PEX
400 random orbit sander. It can cope with most situations such as fast stock
removal and fine finishing.

Belt sanders are ok for fast stock removal but they are no good for fine
finishing. Orbital sheet sanders are good at finishing but no good for fast
stock removal.

David Lang

Hi

Kaiser wrote;
The best all round and value for money sander in my opinion is the Bosch
PEX 400 random orbit sander.

It can cope with most situations such as fast stock removal and fine
finishing.

Belt sanders are ok for fast stock removal but they are no good for fine
finishing. Orbital sheet sanders are good at finishing but no good for
fast stock removal.

I'd agree that random orbit sanders are brilliant all round machines, with
40 grit they act like a belt sander and with 240 grit they do a great
finishing job. Axminster have one on offer at the moment
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=31298&recno=4

Dave

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 21 May 2005 23:06:01 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

Axminster have one on offer at the moment
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...=31298&recno=4

Hmmm. Axminster White range. I think I'd prefer Ferm.

(the Bosch PEX 400 is pretty good)

David Lang

Hi Andy

Hmmm. Axminster White range. I think I'd prefer Ferm.

(the Bosch PEX 400 is pretty good)

Not denying the Bosch probably is good, but what's up with Axminster? They
are IMO a top quality company and wouldn't offer rubbish with their name on
it. Evidence or opinion?

Dave

Grunff

David Lang wrote:

Not denying the Bosch probably is good, but what's up with Axminster?

Ooh, miss, mememe!

I also like Axminster a lot; they have a superb product range, and a
very good level of customer service. However, their White range is of
variable quality.

Some of the White range stuff is pretty well made, and offers good value
for money. Other products in the range (particularly some of the drills,
jigsaws and sanders) are not very well made, with the overall quality
and feel no different from Ferm or PP.

--
Grunff
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 22 May 2005 00:34:42 GMT, "David Lang"
wrote:

what's up with Axminster? They
are IMO a top quality company and wouldn't offer rubbish with their name on
it.

Well that's what I thought until I bought a couple. I've been very
disappointed.

Their White machinery was fine, even their yellow Perform stuff (withion
its capabilities) but the handheld Whites are of about the same quality
as Ferm.
Mark S.

wrote:

what's up with Axminster? They
are IMO a top quality company and wouldn't offer rubbish with their name on
it.

Well that's what I thought until I bought a couple. I've been very
disappointed.

Their White machinery was fine, even their yellow Perform stuff (withion
its capabilities) but the handheld Whites are of about the same quality
as Ferm.

I'm on my second PEX400 and can't fault it, first one "broke" due to
me not thinking straight... ;-)

Mark S.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
antgel wrote:
What's the best sander _type_ for finishing off walls after activities
such as tile removal and after filling holes in plasterboard? I have a
"mouse" type one which I've used on little jobs before, but now think I
need something a little more substantial. I've seen belt (scary
looking things), random orbital, and 1/3 or 1/2 sheet things. I
assume that detail sanders are too small for this type of work.

Random orbit for detail work. Belt for serious stuff. All the rest are
really toys.

--
*Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

John Stumbles

David Lang wrote:

Hi

Kaiser wrote;
The best all round and value for money sander in my opinion is the Bosch
PEX 400 random orbit sander.

It can cope with most situations such as fast stock removal and fine
finishing.

Belt sanders are ok for fast stock removal but they are no good for fine
finishing. Orbital sheet sanders are good at finishing but no good for
fast stock removal.

I'd agree that random orbit sanders are brilliant all round machines, with
40 grit they act like a belt sander and with 240 grit they do a great
finishing job.

So how do random orbital ones work that's different from orbital?

And do they have a true randomness generator or is it a cryptologically
insecure pseudo-random generator? ;-)

Andy Hall

On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:25:44 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

David Lang wrote:

Hi

Kaiser wrote;
The best all round and value for money sander in my opinion is the Bosch
PEX 400 random orbit sander.

It can cope with most situations such as fast stock removal and fine
finishing.

Belt sanders are ok for fast stock removal but they are no good for fine
finishing. Orbital sheet sanders are good at finishing but no good for
fast stock removal.

I'd agree that random orbit sanders are brilliant all round machines, with
40 grit they act like a belt sander and with 240 grit they do a great
finishing job.

So how do random orbital ones work that's different from orbital?

I'm not sure if they all work this way, but my Metabo one has
eccentric and concentric mechanisms. The effect is that the pad
rotates relatively slowly but makes rotations with a selectable 3mm or
6mm diameter relative to the body of the tool at a much higher rate -
or it can be switched to non-random.

And do they have a true randomness generator or is it a cryptologically
insecure pseudo-random generator? ;-)

It runs 3DES, so not that secure.

--

..andy