Adrian Boliston

Default Bathroom tiling - raise sanitaryware?

I am shortly about to complete a purchase of a "new build" apartment, and
got a tiling contractor in to give a me a quote on doing the floor in my
bathroom.

One of the first things he said is that the developers have not left a
standard 15mm gap between the chipboard subfloor and the base of the toilet
and basin, as I was sort of expecting the tiles to be fitted *round*
sanitaryware rather than *under* it!

I'm a bit worried that having to raise the sanitaryware will add to the cost
so am considering some type of tile substitute that can be fitted *round*
the sanitaryware - has anyone got any ideas of what I could lay which would
not require lifting the wc & basin?

Lobster

Adrian Boliston wrote:
I am shortly about to complete a purchase of a "new build" apartment, and
got a tiling contractor in to give a me a quote on doing the floor in my
bathroom.

One of the first things he said is that the developers have not left a
standard 15mm gap between the chipboard subfloor and the base of the toilet
and basin, as I was sort of expecting the tiles to be fitted *round*
sanitaryware rather than *under* it!

I'm a bit worried that having to raise the sanitaryware will add to the cost
so am considering some type of tile substitute that can be fitted *round*
the sanitaryware - has anyone got any ideas of what I could lay which would
not require lifting the wc & basin?

I would prefer to tile under a loo/basin than round them, but there's no
reason why you can't do so. Bit more cutting of funny shapes of course,
which will take time, and might offset the time taken to 'elevate' the
sanitaryware? Get a quote for both versions, then you can decide.

David

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Adrian Boliston" writes:
I am shortly about to complete a purchase of a "new build" apartment, and
got a tiling contractor in to give a me a quote on doing the floor in my
bathroom.

One comment I would make is that ceramic floor tiles in a bathroom
can be slippery in wet feet, so you'll probably need a rubber backed
mat to step out onto from the bath/shower.

One of the first things he said is that the developers have not left a
standard 15mm gap between the chipboard subfloor and the base of the toilet
and basin, as I was sort of expecting the tiles to be fitted *round*
sanitaryware rather than *under* it!

I think they normally go underneath, at least that's what I did, but I
fitted the floor before the loo, basin and bath were fitted.
Could you not use your "not quite completed" leverage to get the
builder to refit the bathroom after the floor is done, tell him that
the flooring contractor said this was necessary and has been done wrong?

I'm a bit worried that having to raise the sanitaryware will add to the cost
so am considering some type of tile substitute that can be fitted *round*
the sanitaryware - has anyone got any ideas of what I could lay which would
not require lifting the wc & basin?

You don't want water being able to leak into the chipboard, which
would mean any such join should be sealed.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Tiling bathroom floor Tom W UK diy 2 April 8th 05 09:49 AM
Bathroom tiling.. tarquinlinbin UK diy 6 March 4th 05 11:26 PM
Tiling a bathroom Lisci UK diy 2 January 11th 05 04:53 PM
Bathroom tiling - can I put new tiles over old ? mikeyw UK diy 4 November 1st 04 06:10 PM
Tiling in Bathroom The Question Asker UK diy 3 July 19th 03 12:01 AM