Colin Wilson

Default supply regs question

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for
something a little less wishy-washy.

Cheers

Frank Erskine

On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:25:47 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for
something a little less wishy-washy.

Water? Gas? Electricity? Goods?

ITWSBT...

--
Frank Erskine
Mike

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for
something a little less wishy-washy.

What counts as two supplies ? I've got two meters fed from separate
external lines from the same pole.

BigWallop

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for
something a little less wishy-washy.

Cheers

If it's the electrical supply regulations you're on about, then I don't think
you find much on fixed requirements as to having separate supply sources. The
only major requirement I can think of, is that any fixed power outlet must be
clearly marked, indelibly, to inform users that the outlet is being supplied
from a particular source or distribution point.

There are cases where a property has two electrical supply sources, and these
have to be clearly shown on a plan at the main distribution points as to which
and where these supplies are distributed and connected. From there, each power
outlet must be clearly marked as I said above.

If you do find anything about a certain regulation or requirement on this, then
I'd love to see it as well.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:25:15 UTC, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for
something a little less wishy-washy.

If it's the electrical supply regulations you're on about, then I don't think
you find much on fixed requirements as to having separate supply sources.

Perhaps when they're on different phases...

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Colin Wilson writes:

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Each time we needed more power, the supply company laid another
incoming main. We ended up with 3 of them, pulling just over a
megawatt in total when we moved out of the building. They were
split between two different substation transformers, although
that was mostly for historic reasons (we started off on a 1MVA
substation, but that also supplied all the local houses, and
at some point we had to provide space for the supply company
to install a second transformer in our grounds).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Colin Wilson

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

What counts as two supplies ? I've got two meters fed from separate
external lines from the same pole.

That sounds like it could be in breach if i`m interpreting it right - do
they terminate at seperate locations within the house ?

If so, the emergency services might be at risk if they remove what they
assume to be the only source of supply and start to squirt water
around...

Colin Wilson

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Each time we needed more power, the supply company laid another
incoming main. We ended up with 3 of them, pulling just over a
megawatt in total when we moved out of the building. They were
split between two different substation transformers, although
that was mostly for historic reasons (we started off on a 1MVA
substation, but that also supplied all the local houses, and
at some point we had to provide space for the supply company
to install a second transformer in our grounds).

If you were taking it at HV then you will have had clearly defined points
of isolation - and quite possibly a remote trip installed too - although
if you were being fed by different subs feeding different panel boards /
RMUs etc i`m not so sure :-}

BigWallop

wrote:

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for
something a little less wishy-washy.

If it's the electrical supply regulations you're on about, then I don't

think
you find much on fixed requirements as to having separate supply sources.

Perhaps when they're on different phases...

Bob Eager

But even then, as I said in my reply, the power outlets and distribution points
must be clearly marked as to their source and connection plan. So even with
different phases, the design and installation should comply with these
requirements.

BigWallop

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

What counts as two supplies ? I've got two meters fed from separate
external lines from the same pole.

That sounds like it could be in breach if i`m interpreting it right - do
they terminate at seperate locations within the house ?

If so, the emergency services might be at risk if they remove what they
assume to be the only source of supply and start to squirt water
around...

That's why the distribution points must be clearly marked with their connection
plan.

Bob Eager

On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:59:47 UTC, "BigWallop"
wrote:

Perhaps when they're on different phases...

Bob Eager

But even then, as I said in my reply, the power outlets and distribution points
must be clearly marked as to their source and connection plan. So even with
different phases, the design and installation should comply with these
requirements.

Oh yes...I was just answering some query as to why it was a problem..

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!
The Wanderer

On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:25:47 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

Can anyone pinpoint where in the supply regs (or elsewhere if applicable,
such as building regs) it says you shouldn`t have more than one incoming
supply to a premises ?

Sections 26-28 of the supply regs sort-of cover it, but I was looking for
something a little less wishy-washy.

Cheers

It was always down to individual REC's and how they interpreted the regs
when I was in the industry (been out now for 10 years). I don't think
there's a definitive answer on the issue. I just took a quick look at the
new regs on line at HMSO, and they are, as always sufficiently vague to
allow a reasonable degree of interpretation on the matter.

The only thing that seems to give the lie to 'one point of supply' is Para
24, clause 5.

"In this regulation the expression "new connection" means the first
electric line, or the replacement of an existing electric line, to one or
more consumer's installations."

The operative expression there would seem to be an "existing electric line,
to one or more consumer's installations." The word consumer's there is used
in the singular case, and implies that there may be existing lines to each
installation, IMHO. Of course, others might argue that it could mean one
line feeding more than one installation.....

FWIW, I have two points of supply, one in the house, one in the garage.

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Martin Angove

In message ,
Colin Wilson wrote:

[...]

Did that at a previous place of employment; two 10kV feeds into two
(self owned) substations and distributed from there. Fiendishly
complicated and not really much point from a backup POV because AIUI the
two 10kVs came from the same point on the supply network.

Not bad for what was basically a museum :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... You've let the lawn go too far when it requires harvesting.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Colin Wilson writes:
Each time we needed more power, the supply company laid another
incoming main. We ended up with 3 of them, pulling just over a
megawatt in total when we moved out of the building. They were
split between two different substation transformers, although
that was mostly for historic reasons (we started off on a 1MVA
substation, but that also supplied all the local houses, and
at some point we had to provide space for the supply company
to install a second transformer in our grounds).

If you were taking it at HV then you will have had clearly defined points
of isolation - and quite possibly a remote trip installed too - although
if you were being fed by different subs feeding different panel boards /
RMUs etc i`m not so sure :-}

We took it as 240/415 LV.
The feeds ran into different panels, two of them co-located (large
loads could be moved from one to the other relatively easily), and
the other in a different area of the building.
There was no single action "isolate everything" control.

--
Andrew Gabriel