none

Default Sanded floor varnish emergency

Hi

Spent ages lovingly sanding my lounge floor boards. Hired a sander,
went up through the sand papers to the finer grades to make it nice and
smooth.

Bought a tin of Ronseal Diamond Hard Clear Satin floor varnish, hoovered
teh sanded floor with a dyson, left it for a day, hoovered the floor
boards again with teh hoover. Painted a first coat of varnish and it
looked ok. Waited 2 hours as suggested on the tin for the varnish to
dry, felt dry, put another coat of varnish down. On one floor board
there is a patch about a metre long that has dried almost white rather
than clear. Unlike the rest of the floor it has also crazed slightly on
the surface rather than feeling smooth. What have I done wrong? I
tried to put a another coat on top of this patch to see if it would
mingle with teh rest of the floor but it hasnt helped! Can I sand that
patch back the the wood again and redo just that patch of will that make
the floor look even more of a mess?

Feel a bit sick that spent so much time on it and now this patch has
appeared. Off out to buy a small rug...

Thanks for any help

Richard
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Thu, 05 May 2005 13:18:53 +0100, none ""richardm\"@(none)" wrote:

[...]

Personally, I'd leave it all to dry for a couple of days, sand down
that one floorboard and re-varnish.

Either the second coat was reacting to the first coat (Not dry enough)
or there was something actually in the wood, causing problems.

sponix
David Lang

Hi
Feel a bit sick that spent so much time on it and now this patch has
appeared. Off out to buy a small rug...

That sort of varnish won't 'feather in' easily. Try to just sand & re coat
that board - even if you have to take it up.

Dave

Ian Stirling

none ""richardm\"@(none)" wrote:
Hi

Spent ages lovingly sanding my lounge floor boards. Hired a sander,
went up through the sand papers to the finer grades to make it nice and
smooth.

snip
dry, felt dry, put another coat of varnish down. On one floor board
there is a patch about a metre long that has dried almost white rather
than clear. Unlike the rest of the floor it has also crazed slightly on
the surface rather than feeling smooth. What have I done wrong? I
tried to put a another coat on top of this patch to see if it would
mingle with teh rest of the floor but it hasnt helped! Can I sand that
patch back the the wood again and redo just that patch of will that make
the floor look even more of a mess?

I'd suspect that as it's confined to one board, it's a problem with the
wood.
Maybe it got something spilt on it at one time?
One way to fix, if you can't seem to get it right otherwise would be to
simply take a circular saw, or jigsaw, and carefully saw down the middle of
the board in a couple of places.
Now, cut out so you have a rectangular notch.
this can now be used to remove a section of the board, to the edges of the
tounge and groove on the next board.
Now, cut off the upper one of the bit making the groove on the next board,
absolutely flush.
Now, take a new bit of timber, and cut a matching recess on both sides,
so it fits neatly in the slot, with no gaps.
(needless to say, before you start, check you can match the colour).
Before this, I'd try aggressively sanding the crazed one.
mark

[...]

Could you have put it on thicker at the effected area? I've had
similar problm with acrylic varnish on a door. If it is you'll find it
scrapes off easily then sand wood till clean and varnish with the
thinnest coats and it will be unnoticable. Maybe leave longer than 2
hrs tween coats specialy if room is cold.