r.p.mcmurphy

Default oxygen regulator faulty?

my oxy-acet kit has a regulator that i think may have a fault.... on turning
on the gas, the regulator winds round till it hits the stop....if i turn on
the nozzle it falls back to the pressure its been set at. is this a fault?
can it be repaired?

Steve

mrcheerful

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
my oxy-acet kit has a regulator that i think may have a fault.... on
turning on the gas, the regulator winds round till it hits the stop....if
i turn on the nozzle it falls back to the pressure its been set at. is
this a fault? can it be repaired?

Steve

I always slacken the regulator fully off on shutdown, when starting I open
the bottle, and torch tap, then turn up the regulator to the right sort of
pressure.

it sounds like your reg. is defunct, they are dismantleable, but for the
danger aspect I have to recommend getting a new one.

mrcheerful

Jim Ingram

"mrcheerful ." wrote in message
k...

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in

message
my oxy-acet kit has a regulator that i think may have a fault....

on
turning on the gas, the regulator winds round till it hits the

stop....if
i turn on the nozzle it falls back to the pressure its been set

at. is
this a fault? can it be repaired?

Steve

I always slacken the regulator fully off on shutdown, when starting

I open
the bottle, and torch tap, then turn up the regulator to the right

sort of
pressure.

This is good practice as it lessens the risk of ignition (on opening
the cylinder valve) of polymers/lubricants/contaminants within the
regulator from either particle impacts or from (temperatures
generated by) adiabatic compression of oxygen inside the regulator.
Hydrocarbon greases lubricants must not be used in a high pressure
oxygen system.

it sounds like your reg. is defunct, they are dismantleable, but

for the
danger aspect I have to recommend getting a new one.

In particular seals and especially any lubricants must be of the
oxygen compatible variety (which usually means fluorocarbon based
compounds). And the regulator will need to be precision cleaned to
the appropriate standard.

It is not common but oxygen regulator fires have and do occur.

Jim

Oxy/Acetelene Oxygen regulator stone Metalworking 3 April 7th 05 03:12 AM
Oxygen Regulator Gauge Lucifer Metalworking 6 January 30th 05 03:34 PM
Oxygen Samantha BeanHead Metalworking 15 January 4th 05 11:19 PM
Cleaning for Oxygen Service Mark Metalworking 6 June 27th 04 12:23 AM
Oxygen Tank's valve thread sealer David A. Webb Metalworking 2 July 12th 03 06:09 AM