Samantha BeanHead

Default Oxygen

Hi there!

I am just hoping to start working with a propane/oxygen
welding/heating torch. I am just wondering if anybody knows of a
supplier of oxygen cylinders for this or similar purposes in the UK.
Preferably one that is reasonably priced, however I'm not sure what
the going rate for O2 is and whether there are any regulations
involved with the purchase, supply and storage of it for home users
(i.e my home is not registered as a business).
Thanks,

Samantha
Nick Hull

In article ,
Samantha BeanHead wrote:

Hi there!

I am just hoping to start working with a propane/oxygen
welding/heating torch. I am just wondering if anybody knows of a
supplier of oxygen cylinders for this or similar purposes in the UK.
Preferably one that is reasonably priced, however I'm not sure what
the going rate for O2 is and whether there are any regulations
involved with the purchase, supply and storage of it for home users
(i.e my home is not registered as a business).
Thanks,

Samantha

How about faking ashma and getting socialized medicine to deliver
breathing oxygen for free. Works fine in a torch.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Don Foreman

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:33:42 GMT, Samantha BeanHead
wrote:

Hi there!

I am just hoping to start working with a propane/oxygen
welding/heating torch. I am just wondering if anybody knows of a
supplier of oxygen cylinders for this or similar purposes in the UK.
Preferably one that is reasonably priced, however I'm not sure what
the going rate for O2 is and whether there are any regulations
involved with the purchase, supply and storage of it for home users
(i.e my home is not registered as a business).
Thanks,

Samantha

Try inquiry to John Stevenson at :

You didn't say where you are, John is near Nottingham.

Moray Cuthill

"Samantha BeanHead" wrote in message
Hi there!

I am just hoping to start working with a propane/oxygen
welding/heating torch. I am just wondering if anybody knows of a
supplier of oxygen cylinders for this or similar purposes in the UK.
Preferably one that is reasonably priced, however I'm not sure what
the going rate for O2 is and whether there are any regulations
involved with the purchase, supply and storage of it for home users
(i.e my home is not registered as a business).
Thanks,

Samantha

In the UK there are 2 main suppliers for these products. BOC and Air
Products.
I don't know the specifics/legalities of supplying O2 for home us, but if
you contact your local branch off the above companies, they'll soon tell
you.

moray

David Billington

I have had oxygen from BOC for about 20 years and asked the same
questions you have at the beginning. I was told they were no issues with
home use and storage and have not been aware of changes in the mean
time. The local supplier knows my situation and nothing has been
mentioned. It is best if you ask say BOC for the safe storage and use
information before you sign up so you are aware of safe best practice
regarding storage and use of compressed gas. You can find them online.
The standard O2 pressure for the bottles I use is 230bar (3336 psi) so
it deserves respect. Air products are also suppliers and I have heard
Distillers mentioned as a supplier of compressed gases but have never
followed it up. Point to note is that BOC have a surcharge of £8.50 +
VAT IIRC when you collect upto 6 bottles, this is additional to the gas
cost.

What are you actually doing, jewellry, bead making, metal work?. You
might be able to use a torch that electrolyses water using mains
electricity and then burns the resulting hydrogen and oxygen. Might be
expensive if you are not using it alot but might be worth a look. I have
only seen one once in use by a jeweller. Could you use a propane/
compressed air torch?.

Samantha BeanHead wrote:

Hi there!

I am just hoping to start working with a propane/oxygen
welding/heating torch. I am just wondering if anybody knows of a
supplier of oxygen cylinders for this or similar purposes in the UK.
Preferably one that is reasonably priced, however I'm not sure what
the going rate for O2 is and whether there are any regulations
involved with the purchase, supply and storage of it for home users
(i.e my home is not registered as a business).
Thanks,

Samantha

Samantha BeanHead

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message,
I am in fact primarily hoping to work with glass (I am interested in
scientific glass blowing) and I know thats not directly related to
this newsgroup but I thought that I could get some info about welding
type equipment. I guess I was really trying to get an idea of the
prices and services available in the UK for a very small
(minimal/learner?) scale user. I suppose I was hoping to save some
time by trying to get the general jist of things before I started
throwing my money around.

David Billington

Depending on your location or willingness to travel a friend did a boro
course at Westminster college IIRC in London. He loved it. I currently
just stick to glassblowing with soda or lead glass. I do courses or hire
a bench at www.liquidglasscentre.co.uk but am working on building my own
equipent for home use. I suppose with the OA kit I could do boro work if
I got the glass and the glasses.

Samantha BeanHead wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message,
I am in fact primarily hoping to work with glass (I am interested in
scientific glass blowing) and I know thats not directly related to
this newsgroup but I thought that I could get some info about welding
type equipment. I guess I was really trying to get an idea of the
prices and services available in the UK for a very small
(minimal/learner?) scale user. I suppose I was hoping to save some
time by trying to get the general jist of things before I started
throwing my money around.

When I was doing glassblowing for chem lab in college, we just used
regular air-natural gas burners for Pyrex with no problems. I don't
remember seeing any oxygen tanks around the glass shop either, the
department had a first-class shop that handled work from states all
around. Had several big Litton glass lathes in there.

Why not see if you can find a shop at a local college or university
and see what they use. Another source would be a neon sign maker's
operation. It might give you a better idea of what you need to start
with.

Stan

Jim McGill

Samantha

Only place you need oxygen for glass blowing is if you want to work in
quartz. Then you need a hydrogen / oxygen flame to get it hot enough to
flow (just barely - it's like working taffy). For borosilcate (Pyrex)
all you need is natural gas and compressed air. There's a good book
called "Scientific Glassblowing" which walked you through almost
everything and did a good job of explaining what was going on. Probably
out of print, but your local library may have it. Biggest expense will
be the burner, which will be several hundred dollars new.

One trick I learned from an old glassblower is keep a cup of water
within reach. Then when you pick up a hot piece of glass you can cool
the burn immediately which greatly reduces the damage. If you're quick,
you don't get a blister at all, just a scorch mark on the surface (and a
vile smell).

Jim

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Tim Williams" wrote:

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
One trick I learned from an old glassblower is keep a cup of water
within reach. Then when you pick up a hot piece of glass you can cool
the burn immediately which greatly reduces the damage. If you're quick,
you don't get a blister at all, just a scorch mark on the surface (and a
vile smell).

Heh, I figured this out a while ago. Lick a burn as soon as possible and
you'll never get a blister. Wonderful, eh?

DMSO works great for burns, kills the pain and no blister.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Gunner

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:00:09 -0500, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article ,
"Tim Williams" wrote:

"Jim McGill" wrote in message
One trick I learned from an old glassblower is keep a cup of water
within reach. Then when you pick up a hot piece of glass you can cool
the burn immediately which greatly reduces the damage. If you're quick,
you don't get a blister at all, just a scorch mark on the surface (and a
vile smell).

Heh, I figured this out a while ago. Lick a burn as soon as possible and
you'll never get a blister. Wonderful, eh?

DMSO works great for burns, kills the pain and no blister.

Be careful with DMSO..its a cell membrane carrier...ie it will pass
through cell membranes like **** though a seagull and as its also a
solvent, it can carry toxins with it.

That being said..its good stuff when applied correctly on aches, pains
and burns.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Samantha BeanHead

I guess the reason why I am thinking to use propane/oxygen is after
reading this site: http://www.ecu.edu/chem/glassblowing/
It has lots of info about putting together scientific glassware and it
recommends oxy-propane for borosilicate work...
I guess other people have had other experiences in practice however.
I am also asking about oxygen because when I look at US sites for O2
they just straight up tell you the price for the tank of a certain
volume. When I look at UK sites all I see is the hype and no prices. I
am just wondering what people are paying for their gases, rental and
refills etc. Although that may be too blunt a question. I am hoping to
find the best supplier and not get ripped off.
Thanks.
Glenn Ashmore

By far oxy/propane is best for glass. Been so long since I bought my
cylinders that I don't remember what I paid for them. I use them mostly for
welding but when I get on a glass jag my Nortel Major will go through a 90
cu. ft. cylinder in about 20 hours.

Probably best to get on the phone and ask. They are out to sell stuff but
cylinders are pretty generic so the only way you can keep from paying to
much is to check out the local market. Customs vary from place to place.
Down here in Georgia they swap out your purchaced cylinders for full ones.
Other places refill yours. That means you have to worry about
recertification every few years. Some places sell bigger cylinders. Here
anything larger than 120 cu ft is rental only. Buy if you can. I have one
big argon cylinder that I could have bought twice for the rent I have paid.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Samantha BeanHead" wrote in message
I guess the reason why I am thinking to use propane/oxygen is after
reading this site: http://www.ecu.edu/chem/glassblowing/
It has lots of info about putting together scientific glassware and it
recommends oxy-propane for borosilicate work...
I guess other people have had other experiences in practice however.
I am also asking about oxygen because when I look at US sites for O2
they just straight up tell you the price for the tank of a certain
volume. When I look at UK sites all I see is the hype and no prices. I
am just wondering what people are paying for their gases, rental and
refills etc. Although that may be too blunt a question. I am hoping to
find the best supplier and not get ripped off.
Thanks.

Martin Whybrow

"Samantha BeanHead" wrote in message
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message,
I am in fact primarily hoping to work with glass (I am interested in
scientific glass blowing) and I know thats not directly related to
this newsgroup but I thought that I could get some info about welding
type equipment. I guess I was really trying to get an idea of the
prices and services available in the UK for a very small
(minimal/learner?) scale user. I suppose I was hoping to save some
time by trying to get the general jist of things before I started
throwing my money around.

Samantha
BOC franchise distribution to some small retailers who are easy to deal
with; for example at work we get our argon cylinders exchanged at a local
car parts shop in St Albans.
Martin

bw

"Samantha BeanHead" wrote in message
I guess the reason why I am thinking to use propane/oxygen is after
reading this site: http://www.ecu.edu/chem/glassblowing/
It has lots of info about putting together scientific glassware and it
recommends oxy-propane for borosilicate work...
I guess other people have had other experiences in practice however.
I am also asking about oxygen because when I look at US sites for O2
they just straight up tell you the price for the tank of a certain
volume. When I look at UK sites all I see is the hype and no prices. I
am just wondering what people are paying for their gases, rental and
refills etc. Although that may be too blunt a question. I am hoping to
find the best supplier and not get ripped off.
Thanks.

Just call any local welding supply. I pay about $20 for a "K" cylinder, 240
SCF. Cylinder about 5 feet high, weighs close to 100 pounds. That will last
a long time. Check farm auctions. Many farms have complete oxy/fuel welding
carts.

Mark Rand

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 00:47:33 GMT, "Martin Whybrow"
wrote:

"Samantha BeanHead" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message,
I am in fact primarily hoping to work with glass (I am interested in
scientific glass blowing) and I know thats not directly related to
this newsgroup but I thought that I could get some info about welding
type equipment. I guess I was really trying to get an idea of the
prices and services available in the UK for a very small
(minimal/learner?) scale user. I suppose I was hoping to save some
time by trying to get the general jist of things before I started
throwing my money around.

Samantha
BOC franchise distribution to some small retailers who are easy to deal
with; for example at work we get our argon cylinders exchanged at a local
car parts shop in St Albans.
Martin

The killer in the UK is the bottle rental. BOC don't sell bottles AFAIK. I pay
£35/year for an X size 3' tall argon bottle.

Since I don't do as much MIG welding as I did when I got the contract, I
really need to take the bottle back because I now pay significantly more for
the bottle than the gas :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM