AnthB

Default Plasterboard wall damage - 2 questions

Long post for simple questions. Sorry.

Q1.

Amongst the many little faults that we're noticing around our new (old)
house is that the plaster is falling off some of the stud wall nails.
The house is over 30 years old so I have no idea if it's suddenly just
happening or it's an old problem that has been patched and is happening
again.

If I push on the boards where I can see the plaster coming loose the
board will give a little and the plaster will come off. Is this
usually a case of the nails not being covered over properly in the
first place or have the boards not been put up correctly?

I presume just patching it wont help as anyone hitting the wall will
just cause the plaster to come off again. Will it be worth it to
hammer some new nails into the parts of the wall that give? Or just
knock the existing nails a bit further in?

Q2.

The plasterboard on the staircase had a whopping great hairline crack
running along it when we moved in. I can't say if it was there when we
viewed as it seems in hindsight we must've viewed the house with our
eyes closed. However I think something (possibly a heavy mattress) has
bashed the wall hard enough to cause cracking but no dents. The crack
is both horizontal and vertical and seems to follow the staggered
pattern of plasterboards.

Anyhoo, I think it might be a little bit of a bugger to fill but from
things I've read about plasterboard walls one thing that pops up is
taping the joints etc. If you don't tape them you'll get cracking in
years to come etc. I presume that the boards weren't taped. Maybe
they weren't supposed to be taped. However, if it's filled will there
be a chance of the crack reapearring in a few years time. It's a canny
size (comparable to the full length of the big boards you can get and
then a foot or so up and down from it) to have to patch up every so
often.

I say it's hairline but my other half is insisting it's getting bigger.

Cheers

Anth

Christian McArdle

Amongst the many little faults that we're noticing around our new (old)
house is that the plaster is falling off some of the stud wall nails.

Replace the nails with screws. Screws are much better at holding the board
to the wood to prevent movement. The nails can loosen over time, letting the
boards move meaning the plaster caps ping off.

Christian.

AnthB wrote:

Amongst the many little faults that we're noticing around our new

(old)
house is that the plaster is falling off some of the stud wall nails.
The house is over 30 years old so I have no idea if it's suddenly

just
happening or it's an old problem that has been patched and is

happening
again.

caused by either:
1. using PB nails rather than screws
2. using thin wood framing plus a plaster skim

probably 1 in your case

If I push on the boards where I can see the plaster coming loose the
board will give a little and the plaster will come off. Is this
usually a case of the nails not being covered over properly in the
first place or have the boards not been put up correctly?

I presume just patching it wont help as anyone hitting the wall will
just cause the plaster to come off again. Will it be worth it to
hammer some new nails into the parts of the wall that give?

no, PB nails are junk, use screws. Be sure to sure plasterboard screws,
not other types. Pick the black phosphated ones, as they wont rust and
break the plaster, bright metal coloured ones sometimes do. Screwfix
sell them.

Or just
knock the existing nails a bit further in?

wont help. the nails arent holding the board.

Q2.

The plasterboard on the staircase had a whopping great hairline crack
running along it when we moved in. I can't say if it was there when

we
viewed as it seems in hindsight we must've viewed the house with our
eyes closed. However I think something (possibly a heavy mattress)

has
bashed the wall hard enough to cause cracking but no dents. The

crack
is both horizontal and vertical and seems to follow the staggered
pattern of plasterboards.

normal movement crack. to be expected if they were nailed, or if thin
framework was used and they were skimmed.

Anyhoo, I think it might be a little bit of a bugger to fill but from
things I've read about plasterboard walls one thing that pops up is
taping the joints etc. If you don't tape them you'll get cracking in
years to come etc. I presume that the boards weren't taped.

I wouldnt presume that

Maybe
they weren't supposed to be taped. However, if it's filled will

there
be a chance of the crack reapearring in a few years time.

of course.

It's a canny
size (comparable to the full length of the big boards you can get and
then a foot or so up and down from it) to have to patch up every so
often.

I say it's hairline but my other half is insisting it's getting

bigger.

I'd fill it and see what happens, and it might be fine.

If it turns out later it keeps cracking up, you can either leave it be,
paper over it, or replace all the plasterboard.

NT

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
AnthB wrote:
no, PB nails are junk, use screws. Be sure to sure plasterboard screws,
not other types. Pick the black phosphated ones, as they wont rust and
break the plaster, bright metal coloured ones sometimes do. Screwfix
sell them.

Yes - but their PBscrews are junk as well. So are B&Q's. Wicke's ones are
far better at holding the board in place and don't leave little metal
splinters in your hand.

Mike wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
AnthB wrote:
no, PB nails are junk, use screws. Be sure to sure plasterboard

screws,
not other types. Pick the black phosphated ones, as they wont rust

and
break the plaster, bright metal coloured ones sometimes do.

Screwfix
sell them.

Yes - but their PBscrews are junk as well. So are B&Q's. Wicke's

ones are
far better at holding the board in place and don't leave little metal
splinters in your hand.

Hmm, Ive found them fine. What are you screwing them into, and what
problem are you getting? And what size you using?

NT

plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Ownership 25 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM
Fixing plasterboard straight onto a wall Chris Harris UK diy 3 July 10th 03 11:18 PM