Mogweed

Default CH and boiler questions

I've inherited my mam's victorian terraced house and we're renovating it
with a view to renting it out. I was telling a friend about our plans but
he's absolutely adamant that I can't do what I want to do so I'm hoping to
get confirmation, one way or the other, from you good people.

There's never been any central heating in the house so we'll be installing a
brand new system from scratch. As far as I understand it (and remember,
we'll be renting the house out), anyone can install the system, ie, hang the
boiler on the wall, run all the pipes, fit the rads, fill it with water
etc., and you don't have to be a plumber or heating engineer to do any of
that (what I would call the "wet" side of the system) *as long as* we get a
CORGI guy in to do the gas run from the meter to the boiler and commission
it. Oh, and I also know that as of the 1st of this month a new regulation
came out and that all new boilers now have to be condensing boilers.

My mate reckons we can't do that - it has to be a CORGI plumber or heating
engineer to do the whole lot. Who's right - me or him?

Any recommendations regarding make of boiler? I don't want the tenants
coming to me every five minutes saying there's something wrong with the
system so reliability is my main concern. We were in a B&Q Warehouse today
for something unrelated but looked at their range of boilers and they seem
to have some decent deals on Biasi and Ravenheat - are they good, bad or
indifferent?

As a final question, I also know that we'll be required to get a "Landlord's
Safety Certificate" for it every year. Will I have to get one immediately
even though it's a brand new installation or will the CORGI guy's
commissioning certification (or whatever it is he'll give me) do for the
first 12 months and then an LSC annually after that?

Cheers guys,

Mogweed.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mogweed" writes:
[...]

Neither. You are nearer. If you are compitent, you can do the gas
side and the commissioning too. You will need to get CORGI to
do a landlord's certificate before you rent out, and I don't think
you are permitted to do any gas work whilst it's rented out.

As a final question, I also know that we'll be required to get a "Landlord's
Safety Certificate" for it every year. Will I have to get one immediately
even though it's a brand new installation or will the CORGI guy's
commissioning certification (or whatever it is he'll give me) do for the
first 12 months and then an LSC annually after that?

Ask for the certificate whilst it's being commissioned, as it probably
won't cost anything extra (unless you have other gas appliances to be
tested too).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mogweed

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Mogweed" writes:
[...]

Thanks very much for your reply Andrew, very informative and much
appreciated. Now then, anyone got any recommendations for good, reliable
boilers?

Mogweed.

Owain

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Neither. You are nearer. If you are compitent, you can do the gas
side and the commissioning too.

But would tben need a building control application for a new boiler
(Part L) and possibly also the electric wiring for the controls (part P)
(references to England/Wales Building Regs)?

You will need to get CORGI to
do a landlord's certificate before you rent out, and I don't think
you are permitted to do any gas work whilst it's rented out.

Agreed.

Owain

Mogweed

"Owain" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Neither. You are nearer. If you are compitent, you can do the gas
side and the commissioning too.

But would tben need a building control application for a new boiler (Part
L) and possibly also the electric wiring for the controls (part P)
(references to England/Wales Building Regs)?

You will need to get CORGI to
do a landlord's certificate before you rent out, and I don't think
you are permitted to do any gas work whilst it's rented out.

Agreed.

Owain

Thanks very much Owain. The house is being completely rewired so Part
(taking the) P will be taken into account anyway, but thanks for pointing
out Part L.

Mogweed.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mogweed" writes:
Thanks very much Owain. The house is being completely rewired so Part
(taking the) P will be taken into account anyway, but thanks for pointing
out Part L.

Note that Part L is an energy efficiency check, not a gas safety
check, which you will still need.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mogweed

"Mogweed" writes:
Thanks very much Owain. The house is being completely rewired so Part
(taking the) P will be taken into account anyway, but thanks for pointing
out Part L.

Note that Part L is an energy efficiency check, not a gas safety
check, which you will still need.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks once again Andrew. I know nothing about Part L (of course, I'll have
to find out about it) but the way I was reading Owain's post, as in:

But would tben need a building control application for a new boiler (Part
L)

I assumed it was some sort of application form we had to fill in for
permission to install a new boiler or some such thing. Life used to be so
simple )

Mogweed.

Mike

"Mogweed" wrote in message

"Owain" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Neither. You are nearer. If you are compitent, you can do the gas
side and the commissioning too.

But would tben need a building control application for a new boiler

(Part
L) and possibly also the electric wiring for the controls (part P)
(references to England/Wales Building Regs)?

You will need to get CORGI to
do a landlord's certificate before you rent out, and I don't think
you are permitted to do any gas work whilst it's rented out.

Agreed.

Owain

Thanks very much Owain. The house is being completely rewired so Part
(taking the) P will be taken into account anyway, but thanks for pointing
out Part L.

For rentals you need to check out the building regs for fire and so on as
renting out is a sort of change of use. Don't know the layout of your
building as to what applies and what doesn't, but if there's a third floor
for example you will need fire doors.

Mike

"Owain" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Neither. You are nearer. If you are compitent, you can do the gas
side and the commissioning too.

But would tben need a building control application for a new boiler
(Part L) and possibly also the electric wiring for the controls (part P)
(references to England/Wales Building Regs)?

Presumably if they are doing extensive renovations this will be needed
anyway for other things.

RedOnRed

Any recommendations regarding make of boiler? I don't want the tenants
coming to me every five minutes saying there's something wrong with the
system so reliability is my main concern.

Mogweed.

Worcester Bosch or Vaillant seem to have the best reputations on here and
amongst plumbers.

We've just had a WB fitted and very nice it is to.

Mogweed

"RedOnRed" wrote in message
Any recommendations regarding make of boiler? I don't want the tenants
coming to me every five minutes saying there's something wrong with the
system so reliability is my main concern.

Mogweed.

Worcester Bosch or Vaillant seem to have the best reputations on here and
amongst plumbers.

We've just had a WB fitted and very nice it is to.

Thanks very much Red, I'll have a look at those manufacturers.

Mogweed.

Condensing Boiler News RedOnRed UK diy 0 April 9th 05 05:37 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Boiler TP valve problems? Linc Vannah Home Repair 9 May 8th 04 02:20 AM
Best boiler - Condensing (not combi) - unvented......some questions...? Simon Hawthorne UK diy 20 February 3rd 04 10:42 PM
Near death boiler + replacing a boiler David Hearn UK diy 9 January 26th 04 12:44 PM