Rob

Default SDS adapter for rotary drill

Hi, is there such a thing as an SDS adapter so I can use an SDS chisel
in my Black & Decker drill?

David Hearn

Rob wrote:
Hi, is there such a thing as an SDS adapter so I can use an SDS chisel
in my Black & Decker drill?

SDS chisels etc are designed to be used with a rotary-stop enabled SDS
drill. This means it hammers without rotating the chisel.

Does your B&D drill support rotary stop? If not, then even having an
adaptor wouldn't help.

David Lang

Hi, is there such a thing as an SDS adapter so I can use an SDS chisel
in my Black & Decker drill?

Why?

Dave

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Rob wrote:
Hi, is there such a thing as an SDS adapter so I can use an SDS chisel
in my Black & Decker drill?

No.

--
*Prepositions are not words to end sentences with *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Stefek Zaba

Rob wrote:
Hi, is there such a thing as an SDS adapter so I can use an SDS chisel
in my Black & Decker drill?

If your drill's an ordinary rotary drill, or an ordinary hammer drill -
no. If your drill's an SDS drill, you won't need an adaptor; so it
isn't; so 'no' again.

Cheapie SDS drills are now down to 25 quid; at that price they're heavy
and don't last long, but they still beat the pants of 'ordinary' rotary
hammer drills in hard materials like concrete. The 'SDS chisel' function
is less succesful - particularly in the cheaper models, the weight of
the drill itself (often about 7lbs!) makes it tiring to use for long and
difficult to control. For 'serious' work you'll often do better drilling
first to create a line of weakness, and then taking either the SDS
chisel to it, or the old lump hammer and cold chisel.

HTH - Stefek

Set Square

Rob wrote:

Hi, is there such a thing as an SDS adapter so I can use an SDS chisel
in my Black & Decker drill?

No!

You can only use an SDS chisel in SDS drills which have a Rotary
Stop -allowing you to use hammer action without rotation. They don't all
have this. Ordinary B&D drills *certainly* don't have this - so if you had
some sort of chuck adaptor which would hold the chisel, it would then spin
round at upwards of 2000 rpm - which ain't what you want!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Lobster

Stefek Zaba wrote:

Cheapie SDS drills are now down to 25 quid; at that price they're heavy
and don't last long, but they still beat the pants of 'ordinary' rotary
hammer drills in hard materials like concrete. The 'SDS chisel' function
is less succesful - particularly in the cheaper models, the weight of
the drill itself (often about 7lbs!) makes it tiring to use for long and
difficult to control. For 'serious' work you'll often do better drilling
first to create a line of weakness, and then taking either the SDS
chisel to it, or the old lump hammer and cold chisel.

The cheapie Screwfix one (which you're probably talking about judging by
the description?) is now down to 19.99 which is a no-brainer for anyone
who isn't really convinced they want or need an SDS drill, or just want
one for very occasional use. I've had mine and used it regularly for
about 18 months; I've successfully ripped up concrete floors and
demolished walls with it and its still going strong. I'll freely admit
that I can't wait for it to expire so I can justify buying a better one
(esp lighter, with proper rotostop)! but within the constraints
described above, I'd strongly recommend it.

David
David Lang

Lobster wrote

I'll freely admit
that I can't wait for it to expire so I can justify buying a better one
(esp lighter, with proper rotostop)! but within the constraints
described above, I'd strongly recommend it.

I do that as well. I often buy a real cheapo power tool to see if I get on
with it or not. If I like it I'll buy a better model.

My current Nu Tool SDS is great, but weighs about half a ton, when it dies
I'll upgrade it.

Dave

Mike

Stefek Zaba wrote:

Cheapie SDS drills are now down to 25 quid; at that price they're heavy
and don't last long, but they still beat the pants of 'ordinary' rotary
hammer drills in hard materials like concrete. The 'SDS chisel' function
is less succesful - particularly in the cheaper models, the weight of
the drill itself (often about 7lbs!) makes it tiring to use for long and
difficult to control. For 'serious' work you'll often do better drilling
first to create a line of weakness, and then taking either the SDS
chisel to it, or the old lump hammer and cold chisel.

I find my cheap B&Q 5kg one beats the pants off my 2.5kg DeWalt for knocking
things down and is less tiring doing so provided you wear ear protectors to
avoid hearing the painful shrieks from the gearbox.