T i m

Default OT? I need a PC soundcard with 'line-out' ..

Hi All,

Possibly not strictly DIY but I am trying to do something myself but
would like some help please? I have asked on more subject specific
list but haven't had much luck yet.. ;-(

I recently upgraded my PC and video card and the card comes with TV
out. This is presented on a non-standard S-Video plug sigh but they
provide an adaptor to give composite video and that works fine into my
Video then TV. I also need to run the audio (if playing a DVD from the
PC etc) and as I don't believe it is provided by the video card (the
extra pins on the S-Video connector?) I need to take it from the sound
card.

However the std onboard AC97 sound system on this (and most) system
boards only has a single unamplified speaker type output that would
require me to swap leads between the speakers and the TV feed (not a
real issue there ..I could even add an extra output to my headphone /
speaker switch box) but the level wouldn't be constant as with a
'line-out' (eg volume would be effected by the mixer).

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

Thanks for your time ..

T i m

p.s. I'm running XP Pro and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon
9600 Atlantis (ATI)

p.p.s. For those older members on this list I had a Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32, both had line out (but both are ISA cards)
;-(

Sparks

T i m

p.s. I'm running XP Pro and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon
9600 Atlantis (ATI)

p.p.s. For those older members on this list I had a Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32, both had line out (but both are ISA cards)
;-(

But didn't this line out change with the mixer too?

From my experience, the volume of the amplified output and line level output
both changed with the mixer on the screen - the amplified "speaker" output
was just a small amplifier connected to the line out.

All soundcards I have ever seen have variable line outputs (the mixer is
just adjusting the preamp on the card

Could you get a second sound card, then make sure you don't change the
levels on this?
(Then route your DVD Player software to output audio to this second card)

Sparks...

Marcus Fox

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Why don't you split the feed from your soundcard and run one to the speakers
and one to the TV via a 3.5 mm to composite audio plug? I got the splitter
from eBay and the cable from Wilkinsons. Or is there more to it and this is
what you don't want to do?

Marcus

T i m

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:56:44 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

T i m

p.s. I'm running XP Pro and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon
9600 Atlantis (ATI)

p.p.s. For those older members on this list I had a Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32, both had line out (but both are ISA cards)
;-(

But didn't this line out change with the mixer too?

Hi Sparks .. you may well be right .. (it was a long time ago now) ..
or maybe they had their own independant mixer fader that wouldn't get
moved unless you chose to do it manuallly?

From my experience, the volume of the amplified output and line level output
both changed with the mixer on the screen - the amplified "speaker" output
was just a small amplifier connected to the line out.

Makes sense .. but as I said (and from memory) the Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32 cards were very good cards in their day and I
believe 'missing' the feature when I went to the SB range of cards
(just for 'compatibility' reasons)..?

All soundcards I have ever seen have variable line outputs (the mixer is
just adjusting the preamp on the card

Could you get a second sound card, then make sure you don't change the
levels on this?
(Then route your DVD Player software to output audio to this second card)

Good thinking .. and I have briefly Googled this. It seems two PCI
sound cards (and possibly from different manufacturers) are easier to
get working than one PCI card and the onboard one?

Maybe I'll give it a go as I have a SB live 1024 somewhere .. ;-)

Sparks...

All the best and thanks ...

T i m
T i m

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:13:12 GMT, "Marcus Fox"
wrote:

However the std onboard AC97 sound system on this (and most) system
boards only has a single unamplified speaker type output that would
require me to swap leads between the speakers and the TV feed (not a
real issue there ..I could even add an extra output to my headphone /
speaker switch box) but the level wouldn't be constant as with a
'line-out' (eg volume would be effected by the mixer).

Why don't you split the feed from your soundcard and run one to the speakers
and one to the TV via a 3.5 mm to composite audio plug? I got the splitter
from eBay and the cable from Wilkinsons. Or is there more to it and this is
what you don't want to do?

Hi Marcus .. yes .. that is sorta what I want to do but I didn't want
the level to be affected by say a game etc.

I think I remember the older sound cards I had having two actual
outputs, one being amplified to drive passive speakers and the volume
being changed by the 'master output' volume slider and a 'line-out'
that stayed at the same level all the time (it may have just had it's
own level slider but it wouldn't be affected by the volume settings
within (say) a game).

A second sound card may well provide what I'm looking for and also
potentially allow simultaneous playing a DVD to the TV and using the
PC for something else? That wasn't really what I wanted to do but is
something that could be done with two cards that you couldm't do with
one (that I know of)?

All the best ..

T i m

raden

In message , T i m
writes
Hi All,

Possibly not strictly DIY but I am trying to do something myself but
would like some help please? I have asked on more subject specific
list but haven't had much luck yet.. ;-(

.... ...

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

Thanks for your time ..

Charged at £30/hour cheap rate ...

Just buy a "creative" clone sound card. CPC do several for just over a
tenner and it does the job I remember doing this several years ago

you might need a short stereo 354mm jack cable also to connect the two

Be aware that they are very good at buggering up other parts of the
system

--
geoff
raden

In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:56:44 +0100, "Sparks" wrote:

T i m

p.s. I'm running XP Pro and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon
9600 Atlantis (ATI)

p.p.s. For those older members on this list I had a Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32, both had line out (but both are ISA cards)
;-(

But didn't this line out change with the mixer too?

Hi Sparks .. you may well be right .. (it was a long time ago now) ..
or maybe they had their own independant mixer fader that wouldn't get
moved unless you chose to do it manuallly?

From my experience, the volume of the amplified output and line level output
both changed with the mixer on the screen - the amplified "speaker" output
was just a small amplifier connected to the line out.

Makes sense .. but as I said (and from memory) the Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32 cards were very good cards in their day and I
believe 'missing' the feature when I went to the SB range of cards
(just for 'compatibility' reasons)..?

All soundcards I have ever seen have variable line outputs (the mixer is
just adjusting the preamp on the card

Could you get a second sound card, then make sure you don't change the
levels on this?
(Then route your DVD Player software to output audio to this second card)

Good thinking .. and I have briefly Googled this. It seems two PCI
sound cards (and possibly from different manufacturers) are easier to
get working than one PCI card and the onboard one?

As I said - watch out for conflicts

--
geoff
John Rumm

T i m wrote:

I recently upgraded my PC and video card and the card comes with TV
out. This is presented on a non-standard S-Video plug sigh but they

ATI based card then ;-)

provide an adaptor to give composite video and that works fine into my
Video then TV. I also need to run the audio (if playing a DVD from the
PC etc) and as I don't believe it is provided by the video card (the
extra pins on the S-Video connector?) I need to take it from the sound
card.

No, the S-Video connector does not have audio. It has the video signal
split out into separate chroma and luma components though.

However the std onboard AC97 sound system on this (and most) system
boards only has a single unamplified speaker type output that would
require me to swap leads between the speakers and the TV feed (not a
real issue there ..I could even add an extra output to my headphone /
speaker switch box) but the level wouldn't be constant as with a
'line-out' (eg volume would be effected by the mixer).

Line-out almost always will be affected by the mixer in two ways. The
master volume control will change its level, along with the speaker out,
and the individual input levelers will also abviously affect the final mix.

The main difference between the speaker and "real" line-out connectors
other than the level will be the impedance matching.

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

A PCI soundlaster live OEM will give you the connectors you want (if not
the fixed level) for a tenner.

p.s. I'm running XP Pro and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon
9600 Atlantis (ATI)

p.p.s. For those older members on this list I had a Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32, both had line out (but both are ISA cards)

Rather like my nice Teratec sitting on a shelf... ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:06:29 GMT, raden wrote:

Good thinking .. and I have briefly Googled this. It seems two PCI
sound cards (and possibly from different manufacturers) are easier to
get working than one PCI card and the onboard one?

As I said - watch out for conflicts

glances around When? ;-)

(And I will. thanks) ;-)

T i m

T i m

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:59:17 GMT, raden wrote:

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

Thanks for your time ..

Charged at £30/hour cheap rate ...

Bargain! (You don't offer a "surrogate Husband" role do you .. save me
having to listen to her?)

Just buy a "creative" clone sound card. CPC do several for just over a
tenner and it does the job I remember doing this several years ago

you might need a short stereo 354mm jack cable also to connect the two

I have one of them (and one connecting the TV card to the sound card)
but why would I need to connect the two (cos isn't that also going to
use up in/out ports ..?)

Be aware that they are very good at buggering up other parts of the
system

Hmm, time to image the system then .. (thanks for the heads up) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 02:33:09 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I recently upgraded my PC and video card and the card comes with TV
out. This is presented on a non-standard S-Video plug sigh but they

ATI based card then ;-)

;-)

provide an adaptor to give composite video and that works fine into my
Video then TV. I also need to run the audio (if playing a DVD from the
PC etc) and as I don't believe it is provided by the video card (the
extra pins on the S-Video connector?) I need to take it from the sound
card.

No, the S-Video connector does not have audio. It has the video signal
split out into separate chroma and luma components though.

I know the 'std' 4 pin S-Video connector carrys such but this has more
pins and no description of the pinout in the manual (that I can find)
?

However the std onboard AC97 sound system on this (and most) system
boards only has a single unamplified speaker type output that would
require me to swap leads between the speakers and the TV feed (not a
real issue there ..I could even add an extra output to my headphone /
speaker switch box) but the level wouldn't be constant as with a
'line-out' (eg volume would be effected by the mixer).

Line-out almost always will be affected by the mixer in two ways. The
master volume control will change its level, along with the speaker out,
and the individual input levelers will also abviously affect the final mix.

I don't know why but I thought I remembered the master out *not*
affecting the Line out on my older (better) card (or cards)? You
could hook it up to a pair or amplified speakers and play with (at
least) the o/p slider and nothing would change ..? 1V p2p (or summat)
all the time ..?

The main difference between the speaker and "real" line-out connectors
other than the level will be the impedance matching.

Ok ..

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

A PCI soundlaster live OEM will give you the connectors you want (if not
the fixed level) for a tenner.

What a line out AND speaker out John? .. any chance of a link to such
please ?

p.s. I'm running XP Pro and the new video card is a Sapphire Radeon
9600 Atlantis (ATI)

p.p.s. For those older members on this list I had a Gravis Ultrasound
and Orchid Soundwave 32, both had line out (but both are ISA cards)

Rather like my nice Teratec sitting on a shelf... ;-)

sigh .. I was having a sort though all my kit the other day and
loads of stuff I was hanging onto because they were handy / worth
something are now not / worthless ... like several AHA 1540's, 100M
Zip drives, 2G DAT drives etc etc .. I even found a realy old SB with
onboard volume control!

All the best ..

T i m

tony sayer

In article , raden
writes
In message , T i m
writes
Hi All,

Possibly not strictly DIY but I am trying to do something myself but
would like some help please? I have asked on more subject specific
list but haven't had much luck yet.. ;-(

... ...

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

Thanks for your time ..

Charged at £30/hour cheap rate ...

Just buy a "creative" clone sound card. CPC do several for just over a
tenner and it does the job I remember doing this several years ago

you might need a short stereo 354mm jack cable also to connect the two

Be aware that they are very good at buggering up other parts of the
system

Depends on what you want it for an how hi the fi required. My
experiences with cheap and onboard soundcards is that they often add in
problems with digital noise such as buzzes and hum etc.

If you want to do it proper like, go for a terratec phase 2 will cost
about 50 odd quid, but excellent performance and balanced outputs and
even if they drive unbalanced inputs takes away all the crap
superimposed on the audio.....
--
Tony Sayer

Christian McArdle

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

On most modern cards, the line out and the speaker out are the same.

The voltages (and response to volume control) were always the same, it's
just that the speaker out could supply more current. Most manufacturers have
saved cost by just merging the two and not having a low current output.

Christian.

T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:49:27 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

On most modern cards, the line out and the speaker out are the same.

So it seems Christian .. at least it saves having a splitter ;-)

The voltages (and response to volume control) were always the same, it's
just that the speaker out could supply more current.

I understand the onboard audio amp concept but I'm pretty sure one or
both of my two older cards had a line out that stayed pretty constant
irrespective of the output volume control. The inputs made a
difference yes .. but the line out was there all the time irrespective
...?

Most manufacturers have
saved cost by just merging the two and not having a low current output.

Indeed, requiring the use of amplified speakers etc. As it happens I
built a little switch box years ago that presents both audio out and
mic in on the desktop. A changover mini toggle switch feeds the audio
two different pots (2 and different log values) that in turn feed two
3.5mm chassis sockets for speakers and headphones. The mic socket just
passes through to the back of the PC.

So, I'm watching telly on the PC via the speakers and she get's a
phone call I just flick the switch ober to headphones and adjust the
volume knob suitably, leaving the mixer output settings alone and on
maximum ;-)

I know you can buy the switch boxes now but not seen one with a volume
control(s) (and it's a lot quicker / easier than pluging the
headphones into the speakers that carry a headphone socket as my box
allows volume levels to be set for speakers and phones
independantly?).

Maybe I'll just extend that box with a third output and that can be
connected to the TV out cable set?

All the best ..

T i m
Christian McArdle

I understand the onboard audio amp concept but I'm pretty sure one or
both of my two older cards had a line out that stayed pretty constant
irrespective of the output volume control.

I had several sound cards from several manufacturers (including one of the
very first AWE32s) over the years until my motherboards starting coming with
AC97s on board. Every single one had the line out varied with the master
volume.

Christian.

Al, Cambridge, UK

Rootle out the manual for your motherboard (or find it on web) - my
onboard AC97 has a molex-type header additional front-panel
connections, including line out.
Al

John Rumm

T i m wrote:

I know the 'std' 4 pin S-Video connector carrys such but this has more
pins and no description of the pinout in the manual (that I can find)
?

You won't readily find one either - I remeber contacting their tech
support people to see if I could get the pinout for that connector. No
joy, although they would sell me a made up lead for 30 quid or so!

I don't know why but I thought I remembered the master out *not*
affecting the Line out on my older (better) card (or cards)? You
could hook it up to a pair or amplified speakers and play with (at
least) the o/p slider and nothing would change ..? 1V p2p (or summat)
all the time ..?

It is possible - just not the comon practice on any card I have played
with recently. You may find the SPDIF out on some cards is fixed level
(although event that would be affected by attenuation settings on the
inputs to the card)

A PCI soundlaster live OEM will give you the connectors you want (if not
the fixed level) for a tenner.

What a line out AND speaker out John? .. any chance of a link to such
please ?

Well sort of! Line certainly, but most modern cards that do 5.1 surround
and above do not include any onboard amplification. They also tend to
dynamically repurpose the various sockets on the card depending on
number of speakers you tell it you have. Having said that, if you are
stuck with a choice of either line or speaker out then line is probably
best since it is easy to amplify it later if required.

For example:

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...roduct=103 15

Just had a look about at prices... I will do a govenment style
"clarification" here on the "about a tenner" bit, and point out that was
the sort of trade price I pay less VAT! Best retail deal would be
something like:

If you want flexibility of several audio outs then one of the Audigy
offerings may be a better bet, since they have the extra connector/mixer
box. These are a fir bit more pricy though...

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...04&product=151

sigh .. I was having a sort though all my kit the other day and
loads of stuff I was hanging onto because they were handy / worth
something are now not / worthless ... like several AHA 1540's, 100M
Zip drives, 2G DAT drives etc etc .. I even found a realy old SB with
onboard volume control!

;-) Yup, Must admit I have started binning things like old "ditto" 2GB
tape streamers. I have a Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold somewhere as well that
I seem to recall was not cheap when new. Just another ISA card ornament
now.

--
Cheers,

John.

T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 15:43:55 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I know the 'std' 4 pin S-Video connector carrys such but this has more
pins and no description of the pinout in the manual (that I can find)
?

You won't readily find one either - I remeber contacting their tech
support people to see if I could get the pinout for that connector. No
joy, although they would sell me a made up lead for 30 quid or so!

That's nice of them ;-)

I don't know why but I thought I remembered the master out *not*
affecting the Line out on my older (better) card (or cards)? You
could hook it up to a pair or amplified speakers and play with (at
least) the o/p slider and nothing would change ..? 1V p2p (or summat)
all the time ..?

It is possible - just not the comon practice on any card I have played
with recently.

Agreed ..

You may find the SPDIF out on some cards is fixed level
(although event that would be affected by attenuation settings on the
inputs to the card)

Agreed ;-)

A PCI soundlaster live OEM will give you the connectors you want (if not
the fixed level) for a tenner.

Well, I have the SB 1024 Live somewhere ...

What a line out AND speaker out John? .. any chance of a link to such
please ?

Well sort of! Line certainly, but most modern cards that do 5.1 surround
and above do not include any onboard amplification. They also tend to
dynamically repurpose the various sockets on the card depending on
number of speakers you tell it you have.

Sorry John, my fault .. when .. when I said 'speaker out' I really
meant two outputs ;-) I don't actually need a amplified output
(although it might drive headphones better?)

Having said that, if you are
stuck with a choice of either line or speaker out then line is probably
best since it is easy to amplify it later if required.

Agreed ;-(

For example:

Thanks for the links John. As you say, nearly all the cards above
'basic' have several 'outs' but not in the format I need (maybe I'm
looking for the holy grail?)

sigh .. I was having a sort though all my kit the other day

snip

;-) Yup, Must admit I have started binning things like old "ditto" 2GB
tape streamers. I have a Soundblaster AWE 64 Gold somewhere as well that
I seem to recall was not cheap when new. Just another ISA card ornament
now.

That's progress for ya John? So, landfill or try to make some fancy
murals with them?

All the best

T i m

T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:11:54 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

I understand the onboard audio amp concept but I'm pretty sure one or
both of my two older cards had a line out that stayed pretty constant
irrespective of the output volume control.

I had several sound cards from several manufacturers (including one of the
very first AWE32s) over the years until my motherboards starting coming with
AC97s on board. Every single one had the line out varied with the master
volume.

Fair enough Christian. Just in case we are at crossed purposes here
.... my earlier, good quality (non SB) sound cards (or at least one)
had amplified speaker out and unamplified line out. The speaker out
changed with the output mixer and the line out didn't ...?

Or maybe I was just thrown by the excitement of it all at the time ..
;-)

All the best ..

T i m
T i m

On 20 Apr 2005 04:30:19 -0700, "Al, Cambridge, UK"
wrote:

Rootle out the manual for your motherboard (or find it on web) - my
onboard AC97 has a molex-type header additional front-panel
connections, including line out.

Now there's a thought .. I wonder if it's just another tapping off the
existing line/speaker out or another (driven) output (ie from a
different chip)? If it's the same point then I might as well just
split the existing connector, if not then I might make up a header to
a modified blanking panel with a couple of phono sockets or summat
(this full height tower has no built in front access sound / USB
ports).

All the best ..

T i m

raden

In message , T i m
writes
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:06:29 GMT, raden wrote:

Good thinking .. and I have briefly Googled this. It seems two PCI
sound cards (and possibly from different manufacturers) are easier to
get working than one PCI card and the onboard one?

As I said - watch out for conflicts

glances around When? ;-)

Err ... Brick Lane, when George Galloway walks down it

Sound cards (especially Creative ones) are renowned for conflicting with
other devices, I presume by grabbing memory that other resources want to
use or something, I'm not an expert here.

I just know from experience that they're not always the most compatible
of devices
--
geoff
raden

In message , T i m
writes
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:59:17 GMT, raden wrote:

So, is anyone aware of a basic (I don't want / need optical or digital
output, 5.1 etc) sound card that offers line-out alongside the std
mic, line in and speaker connections please?

Thanks for your time ..

Charged at £30/hour cheap rate ...

Bargain! (You don't offer a "surrogate Husband" role do you .. save me
having to listen to her?)

It took me a couple of minutes to remember why I wrote the above

Just buy a "creative" clone sound card. CPC do several for just over a
tenner and it does the job I remember doing this several years ago

you might need a short stereo 354mm jack cable also to connect the two

I have one of them (and one connecting the TV card to the sound card)
but why would I need to connect the two (cos isn't that also going to
use up in/out ports ..?)

Err ... that was "3.5mm"

There are some video cards (prolly not so many nowadays, but I don't
know what you have) which connect externally to the sound card

Be aware that they are very good at buggering up other parts of the
system

Hmm, time to image the system then .. (thanks for the heads up) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

--
geoff
T i m

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:02:15 GMT, raden wrote:

Thanks for your time ..

Charged at £30/hour cheap rate ...

Bargain! (You don't offer a "surrogate Husband" role do you .. save me
having to listen to her?)

It took me a couple of minutes to remember why I wrote the above

That's either old age or drug abuse that does that ... (who said that
.... nurse!) ;-)

you might need a short stereo 354mm jack cable also to connect the two

Err ... that was "3.5mm"

I know ... ;-)

There are some video cards (prolly not so many nowadays, but I don't
know what you have) which connect externally to the sound card

Sappire Redeon 9600 Atlantis (256) but it's the TV card that uses the
little loop lead to connect it's line out to the sound cards line in
...?

All the best ..

T i m
John Rumm

raden wrote:

There are some video cards (prolly not so many nowadays, but I don't
know what you have) which connect externally to the sound card

The ATI "All in Wonder" range for starters...

--
Cheers,

John.

ThePunisher

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

I recently upgraded my PC and video card and the card comes with TV
out. This is presented on a non-standard S-Video plug sigh but they
provide an adaptor to give composite video and that works fine into my
Video then TV. I also need to run the audio (if playing a DVD from the
PC etc) and as I don't believe it is provided by the video card (the
extra pins on the S-Video connector?) I need to take it from the sound
card.

T i m

The extra pins on the s-video connecor are the composite signals, the card
allows you to run both out at the same time, there is a lead that has the
6pin connector on one end and a composite and s-video connector in the
other. If this is just for dvd playing wouldn't a cheap (£30) dvd player
be better? RGB video and DIVX, and save the hassle of booting your pc every
time you want to watch a film.

PS: If you go the pc route watch out for the macrovision signal when running
a dvd film through your video.

--
ThePunisher
Latitude: 54.67N

T i m

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:21:30 GMT, "ThePunisher"
wrote:

The extra pins on the s-video connecor are the composite signals, the card
allows you to run both out at the same time, there is a lead that has the
6pin connector on one end and a composite and s-video connector in the
other.

Understood. I was sorta forced to look at it from the other direction
in that it comes with a S-V composite adaptor and S-V can be
accessed if you buy their (non standard) lead / adaptor?

If this is just for dvd playing wouldn't a cheap (£30) dvd player
be better?

Yes (and I have that) .. ;-)

RGB video and DIVX, and save the hassle of booting your pc every
time you want to watch a film.

And although the picture I have seen is 'ok' it'd not 'good' ;-) The
sort of thing I'll probably end up using it for is showing the missus
'funny' video's etc to save her having to get off her ... well you
know the rest ;-)

PS: If you go the pc route watch out for the macrovision signal when running
a dvd film through your video.

I've read about that somewhere .. I think my home DVD player may have
'Mackrel Vision defeat' may it? ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Phone line problem Zwox Electronics Repair 2 July 29th 04 12:33 AM
Bright Vertical Line on TV Rob Electronics Repair 12 March 14th 04 06:37 PM
Telephone Line Problems barry martin Home Repair 1 March 7th 04 03:00 AM
phone line noise hank Home Ownership 8 December 7th 03 09:02 PM
Help On Fax/Phone Line Nick Home Repair 5 August 26th 03 12:39 AM