Iain A Gilroy

Default Slate Floor Scrubber/Cleaner

I have just laid a large slate floor area (appx 75 sqm) I am looking for
advise on some sort of floor scrubber or cleaner. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Cheers

Iain

David Lang

Hi Iain
I have just laid a large slate floor area (appx 75 sqm) I am looking for
advise on some sort of floor scrubber or cleaner. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

You have a few options open to you - is the floor smooth or textured?
Sealed or natural?

What sort of traffic? Is it a commercial or domestic area?

Give me some more details and I should be able to help - 30 years in the
cleaning industry!

Dave

Iain A Gilroy

Dave

It is a sealed textured slate.

Heavy domestic use.

Cheers

Iain

"David Lang" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi Iain
I have just laid a large slate floor area (appx 75 sqm) I am looking for
advise on some sort of floor scrubber or cleaner. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

You have a few options open to you - is the floor smooth or textured?
Sealed or natural?

What sort of traffic? Is it a commercial or domestic area?

Give me some more details and I should be able to help - 30 years in the
cleaning industry!

Dave

David Lang

Hi Iain
It is a sealed textured slate.

Heavy domestic use.

For that sort of area I'd use two methods, both of which are based on
mopping. Too small for a machine to be cost effective.

You need a decent mop & bucket system - avoid this type
http://tinyurl.com/dqeay they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

You want a bucket with a proper wringer http://tinyurl.com/8yahs and whats
known as a 'Kentucky' mop. Heads & handles sold separately. You won't
believe how good a decent mop, bucket & wringer can be.

Light soiling use 'damp mopping'. Water & detergent in bucket, dip in mop &
wring it so it's just damp. Go ALONG edges first (unless you want dirty
skirting boards), then fill in middle using figure of eight stroke. Rinse &
wring mop often.

Shifts a remarkable amount of dirt, much faster than you expect & very quick
to dry. The banded mop heads go in the washing machine when mucky.

Heavy soiling use 'wet mopping' same mopping system plus a wet/dry vacuum
cleaner. Dip mop in solution but dont wring it out, soak floor in
water/detergent & leave for a few mins. Pick up dirty water with wet/dry
vac. Whiz over with damp mop to remove the odd streak.

I used the latter method to keep a youth club floor clean (300 kids in
winter) for years. Almost as good as machine scrubbing.

Look in Yellow Pages for Janitorial Suppliers. They can also supply a
decent detergent - ask for floor maintainer or a neutral floor cleaner.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Iain A Gilroy

Excellent Dave, thanks for all the info.

Cheers

Iain

"David Lang" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi Iain

&
[...]

OT - Christians defend GWB Cliff Metalworking 223 March 2nd 05 05:12 AM
Anybody wants Chinese roofing slate? Chinese natrual slate UK diy 0 February 2nd 05 03:53 PM
Slate Roof Question Grur Home Repair 8 March 16th 04 10:56 AM
New roof; slate or tiled N. Thornton UK diy 0 October 26th 03 02:18 PM
Sanding slate Andy Dingley UK diy 1 August 20th 03 09:47 PM