legin

Default velux/ dormers

Due to start my self build shortly. Have obtained planning for a
traditional 2 storey house but initially designed to have traditional
cut roof with purlins. I now want to use the attic space for the master
bedroom with ensuite which can be achieved easily. I know from initial
discussions with the L.A. that they would not want dormers to the front
elevation, conservation area. Here I can use velux windows, however
someone has suggested that they are noisy compared to dormers, so do I
put dormers on the back, or use velux as well. Does any one know if I
need planning permission for velux windows/ dormers.

Regards
Legin

Johan

legin wrote:

Due to start my self build shortly. Have obtained planning for a
traditional 2 storey house but initially designed to have traditional
cut roof with purlins. I now want to use the attic space for the master
bedroom with ensuite which can be achieved easily. I know from initial
discussions with the L.A. that they would not want dormers to the front
elevation, conservation area. Here I can use velux windows, however
someone has suggested that they are noisy compared to dormers,

Ours are quite noisy when it rains. Doesn't bother us, but I'm sure it
would keep others awake. Vertical windows in dormers would suffer less
from rain-noise (depending on direction), of course.

so do I
put dormers on the back, or use velux as well. Does any one know if I
need planning permission for velux windows/ dormers.

Regards
Legin

Andy Dingley

On 17 Apr 2005 02:48:25 -0700, "legin"
wrote:

Here I can use velux windows, however
someone has suggested that they are noisy compared to dormers,

My bedroom has a dormer to the front, Velux in the ensuite at the
back. The front is on a road that's hardly busy, but still has fast
noisy vehicles throughtout the night (boy racers and ambulances). The
only noise I've ever noticed from the Velux is the scratch of crowfeet
perching on it. Pigeons will perch on the roof or chimney, but crows
will sit right on the frame and peck the glass - most disconcerting if
you're in there !
John Rumm

legin wrote:

put dormers on the back, or use velux as well. Does any one know if I
need planning permission for velux windows/ dormers.

Not that I am aware of (although in a conservation area it might be
different).

Regards noise, remember that a flat roof dormer will be just as noisy as
a roof window.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Regards noise, remember that a flat roof dormer will be just as noisy as
a roof window.

It should be possible to insulate a flat roof against rain noise rather
easier than a window.

I've got a flat roof at the back of my house - a sort of full width
dormer, if you want, with the window over the rear wall and forming near
all of it up to the roof. Rain noise isn't a problem. It's ply with
roofing felt, 2" polystyrene insulation then skimmed plasterboard.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

in2minds

put dormers on the back, or use velux as well. Does any one know if I
need planning permission for velux windows/ dormers.

around here you need planning permission for both, and they won't allow
velux in the front... but a single storey chapel conversion up the
street has 2 dormers on the front

LJ

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Pigeons will perch on the roof or chimney, but crows
will sit right on the frame and peck the glass - most disconcerting if
you're in there !

One year I had a sparrow who did this to the front window. And another who
sat on the car mirror and pecked at the bird underneath him - opening his
bowels regularly. Luckily, Darwin's Law applied. No sparrows round here
anymore.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've got a flat roof at the back of my house - a sort of full width
dormer, if you want, with the window over the rear wall and forming near
all of it up to the roof. Rain noise isn't a problem. It's ply with
roofing felt, 2" polystyrene insulation then skimmed plasterboard.

Its not a problem as such, more just an observation that you can usually
hear heavy rain on a flat roof more than you can on a tiled one - partly
because you are closer to the point of impact.

The 20 sq m one I built has three layers of hot bonded felt and tar
(plus additional reflective layer) over 3/4" ply, 85mm PIR foam,
firrings, and 6" roof joists before 12.5mm PB and skim. That is probably
a slightly heavier construction than many flat roofs but you can still
hear heavy rain on it. The roof windows are probably louder, but they
are a much smaller area.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike

"legin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does any one know if I need planning permission for

velux windows

not normally though you need to check the local rules in a conservation
area, The problem isn's to much the window it's the brand. You need to use
the metal framed ones designed for conservation areas.

dormers.

quite often (usually?) yes

Peter Crosland

"Does any one know if I
need planning permission for velux windows/ dormers.

What does your planning permission say? Many have restrictions on how much
you can alter the approved design. The quicket way is to ask the planners.

Peter Crosland

legin

There appear to be no restrictions in the planning conditions. Initial
discussions specifically against dormers to the front but would accept
on the back. Didn't particularly want any thing on the front either but
at a push would accept velux. L.A. Initially wanted two houses so I
omitted the attic detail to apply for a "smaller house". If I had
applied for a 5 bed at the outset they would have probably insisted on
two. Hence unsure whether to go dormer or velux to rear. Fire regs for
an opening accessable window make it difficult at the back as access
would be over a single storey addition. I have spoken to the L.A. and
have a meeting this morning. They have asked for a drawing showing the
alterations which they will consider under minor ammendments. Still do
not know if I actually need planning permission for the windows or not
though. If I didn't then I could leave out the windows that I am unsure
about and decide on them latter. L.A. is being vague and asking for all
details to be on a drawing. Suppose put them on a drawing and alter
again to suit the build.
Regards
Legin