AlexW

Default Trouble with Treads

I had a problem a while back with the treads on my (2 year old) stairs.
They have softwood strings & treads and MDF risers ... the nails
securing the riser to tread had come loose and the deflection of the
tread when in use was causing squeaks. Solution was to quickly nail the
nails back in & I made a mental note to replace with screws before I
board over the back of the stairs (way down my priority list though as
its in a cupboard).

However, the squeaks returned yesterday (11pm - great!) on one step and
suddenly too. On inspection of the squeaky tread I found that it had
split from upper riser to the centre of the tread along a knot which is
at an oblique angle through the tread (knot is 25mmx100mm) to the rear edge.

I don't fancy my chances of being able to get the tread out cleanly to
replace as its *very* well glued to the wedges on the strings and blocks
on the lower riser etc.

So I was thinking of splinting from below, across the whole width to the
depth of the split (I have some 18mm ply in the garage) using a glue and
screw approach and then screwing the riser tightly to the back of the
split tread.

I was wondering though, has anyone else done tried sort this and was it
successful over time? and does anyone have a better idea?

TIA,

Alex.

The Natural Philosopher

AlexW wrote:

[...]

Your best bet is to get glue in from underneath

Being teh avid modeller that I am I'd run some glass fibre cloth and
resin - possibly with filler - over any suspect joints.
AlexW

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
AlexW wrote:

[...]

Yeah I'll try and squidge as much glue in as I can, its a bit tricky
without widening (pos. lengthening) the split.

The fibre/resin approach sounds interesting FFR but I think I'll stick
with thick 18mm thick ply as this will add depth reinforcement under the
split too.

Cheers,

Alex.

Bolier Trouble hsj123 UK diy 3 March 5th 05 12:14 PM
Bolier Trouble hsj123 UK diy 0 March 5th 05 12:53 AM
Zanussi Dishwasher Trouble thescullster UK diy 1 December 20th 04 11:29 AM
Diagnosis of phone line trouble - alarm system? orangetrader Home Repair 6 September 7th 04 09:10 PM
Stair Treads David Alexander Woodworking 8 March 9th 04 11:54 PM