SidKnee

Default Tilt n Turn Windows

What arethe advantages of Tilt n Turn Windows? In terms of ease of use?
Any problems with positioning of Net curtaining, Blinds, and Curtains?

Please guide.

Sidkney

SidKnee

"Howard" wrote in reply to Sidkney's Question of
Any problems with positioning of Net curtaining, Blinds, and Curtains?.

.....yes!

What are these problems?

Sid

David Hearn

SidKnee wrote:
What arethe advantages of Tilt n Turn Windows? In terms of ease of
use? Any problems with positioning of Net curtaining, Blinds, and
Curtains?
Please guide.

Sidkney

Not had them myself - but they don't work with net curtains etc.

The ones I've seen open inwards - turn handle one way and it hinges at the
bottom, leaning into room. Close and turn another way, and window hinges
from side, swinging into room. Neither appear to have much in the way of
control - certainly for the bottom hinged one (its either closed, or sits on
the stop (maybe 9" gap at top?).

Now, because they open in, you find the net curtains are in the way. Blinds
etc would be similar.

If you find outward opening ones, or ones different from what I've described
above (these were office windows - not domestic) then it may be better - but
from what I saw - blinds etc are a right pain!

David

Adrian Boliston

"SidKnee" wrote:

What arethe advantages of Tilt n Turn Windows? In terms of ease of
use? Any problems with positioning of Net curtaining, Blinds, and
Curtains?
Please guide.

They are one of the stupidest inventions ever - I once had them in a bedroom
and they could not be opened without snagging the curtains.

The only way they would work with a blind would be to have the blind fixed
to the tilting section like a velux blind. Blinds now seem much more
popular than they once were, with only pensioners seemingly sticking with
old fashioned curtains these days, so they do not make much sense.

Newshound

They are one of the stupidest inventions ever - I once had them in a
bedroom and they could not be opened without snagging the curtains.

I first saw them 30 years ago in Germany; I think they are fine provided you
have shutters!

Alan Vann

SidKnee wrote:
What arethe advantages of Tilt n Turn Windows? In terms of ease of use?
Any problems with positioning of Net curtaining, Blinds, and Curtains?

Had them at the last house (bedrooms). Won't do that again.......

We had curtains plus roller blinds which covered the reveal rather than
fit inside it. The blinds could roll up enough to clear the top in
'turn' mode. The curtains caught as others have said.....

The worst problem however was ventilation. Or rather the lack of it in
those warm balmy summer evenings (Hah!).

Our original windows opened outwards at the bottom while sliding down at
the top. This gave a gap at the top for the warm air to escape, while
allowing cool(er) air in at the bottom.

T&T windows only tilt in a few inches, so are unlikely to clear the
reveal and if the whole unit opens as ours did, all you've got is a
small gap around the sides/top (we had about 1/2" IIRC). The bottom,
being 'closed', doesn't air to circulate. The only way to get air into
the room was to turn them (inwards) and then you had 4' of window
sticking into the room, getting in the way.....

Alan
Dave

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message
"SidKnee" wrote:

What arethe advantages of Tilt n Turn Windows? In terms of ease of
use? Any problems with positioning of Net curtaining, Blinds, and
Curtains?
Please guide.

They are one of the stupidest inventions ever - I once had them in a

bedroom
and they could not be opened without snagging the curtains.

They're good in doors; I've got one in the top half of my outside door in
the kitchen, makes a great 'stable door'.

I wouldn't have one anywhere else though!

SidKnee

"Dave" wrote They're good in doors; I've got one in the top
half of my outside door in
the kitchen, makes a great 'stable door'.

DAve / anyone thanks for advise, I would like to see this option as a stable
door, can anyone post a picture?

Sidney

Dave

"SidKnee" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote They're good in doors; I've got one in the top
half of my outside door in
the kitchen, makes a great 'stable door'.

DAve / anyone thanks for advise, I would like to see this option as a

stable
door, can anyone post a picture?

Sidney

http://tinyurl.com/ey944

(but I wouldn't buy it from them if you paid me!)

Dave