Default sealing kitchen worktops

Just finished fitting my kitchen worktops, and now I need to seal the
joint where the two butt together.

Now I am a total novice when it comes to sealents, and Googling this
group for topic gives suggestions of....

Decorators caulk
Black mastic
Gloss paint
Acrylic based sealents
Silicone based sealents

I have no idea what any of these are (except gloss paint :-), or which
would be best.
The worktops are bog standard chipboard with black laminate, so I would
prefer something that is either black, or transparent.

The popular choice seems to be silicone, but I've read that it is a
nightmare to get off once set. Somebody suggested isopropanol to get it
off before it is cured, but after a quick search I can't find anywhere
that sells it online. I can't find black mastic either.

Any advice for the newbie?

Thanks,
Lister

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just finished fitting my kitchen worktops, and now I need to seal the
joint where the two butt together.

Buy the stuf Screwfix sell for this purpose, colour coded to the worktop.

Tony Eva

Tony Eva wrote:
I used bog standard black silicone sealant ...

I should also mention that the aforementioned kitchen shop specifically
recommended *against* using the special fillers like Colorfill. This is
because they not flexible once set and can crack open under the slight
movement of the worktop as it is used, allowing water ingress. They
have their uses, but a jointing compound isn't one of them.

--
Tony
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

Have a look in the screwfix catalogue or on line screwfix.com and they have the proper coloured sealant in tubes to match your work top.
Alan

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Why not use worktop joining strip, aluminium stuff available in all DIY
sheds, in various colours.
Silicone under it when you fit it, problem solved.

Alan.

Stuart

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 08:53:38 GMT, "Alan"
wrote:

Why not use worktop joining strip, aluminium stuff available in all DIY
sheds, in various colours.
Silicone under it when you fit it, problem solved.

Alan.

aargh.!!!...My kitchen fitter just used clear silicone betwen the
pieces that were butted and used the rods beneath to join them and
cleaned up the excess silicone that got squeezed out .Looks fine but
coloured ( black) silicone probably would look better .
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

I used PVA to join my dark grey worktops together. I am assuming that
you have used router to prepare the joints. The PVA drys clear and the
finish is pretty good. Seeing the outrageous cost of jointing compound
from B&Q (=A37ish) persuaded me to do it this way.

I would also advise against pre painting the ends and letting it dry, I
did this on one of my joints and the finish was not as good.

Re-covering kitchen worktops S. Endon-Lee UK diy 27 April 16th 04 12:17 PM
Jointing kitchen worktops G&M UK diy 6 March 13th 04 10:11 PM
Kitchen paint and shiny worktops Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 4 January 26th 04 03:05 PM
Who makes MFI's kitchen worktops? DeeBee UK diy 20 January 20th 04 01:12 AM
Kitchen Worktops London Clive Long,UK UK diy 4 December 3rd 03 11:22 AM