Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
David Chapman

Default [?] Looking for ideas on how to 'deter' grey squirrels.

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas on how to eliminate/reduce the number of grey
squirrels that frequent our garden. Fat chance, I hear you say!

These wretched scavengers go for any food that we put out to feed the
blue-tits and other small birds. They manage to steal complete fat-
balls, coconut halves and other delicacies despite my suspending these
items from tree branches using thin, greased, wires to make things more
difficult for them. It's been quite interesting trying to develop new
ideas to try and thwart them and see how innovative they can be in still
getting the bird's food, but it's now getting beyond a joke.

Has anyone in this NG found a satisfactory way to 'deter' grey
squirrels from a garden without actually using poison, electricity, or
other means of 'terminating them with extreme prejudice' ?

Are squirrel traps easy to make, and do they work? If I could catch a
few of the critters I'd take them a few miles away and release them,
hoping that they don't have such a good homing system as pigeons!

Ideas please!

TIA - Dave

David C.Chapman - )