[news]

Default Hmph.... plumbers

Jeff wrote:
Just been over the MIL's and a plumber has just replaced the quarter turn
kitchen mixer tap with an old fashioned traditional mixer because "the
quarter turn ones can't be repaired"

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

RT

Alex

Quarter turn taps can be repaired but you do need to know the make for a new
cartridge ,plumbase carry then in stock normally.There is a universal one a
available from Orca Star

Andy Hall

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:18:52 +0000 (UTC), "Alex"
wrote:

Quarter turn taps can be repaired but you do need to know the make for a new
cartridge ,plumbase carry then in stock normally.There is a universal one a
available from Orca Star

He could have a whale of a time with that....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mary Fisher

wrote:

Quarter turn taps can be repaired but you do need to know the make for a
new
cartridge ,plumbase carry then in stock normally.There is a universal one
available from Orca Star

He could have a whale of a time with that....

In sparkling form tonight, andy!

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 23:38:34 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Quarter turn taps can be repaired but you do need to know the make for a
new
cartridge ,plumbase carry then in stock normally.There is a universal one
available from Orca Star

He could have a whale of a time with that....

In sparkling form tonight, andy!

Always, Mary. Always.

Welcome back.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Welcome back.

Why, thank you kind sir.

I missed you all but we had a marvellous time!

Mary

RichardS

wrote:

Quarter turn taps can be repaired but you do need to know the make for a

new
cartridge ,plumbase carry then in stock normally.There is a universal one

available from Orca Star

He could have a whale of a time with that....

Did you post that on porpoise?

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

John Rumm

RichardS wrote:

He could have a whale of a time with that....

Did you post that on porpoise?

Now that gets my seal of approval...

(thought it was bril!)

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"John Rumm" wrote in message
RichardS wrote:

He could have a whale of a time with that....

Did you post that on porpoise?

Now that gets my seal of approval...

Most Plumbers are nothing but sharks...

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Quarter turn taps can be repaired but you do need to know the make for a
new
cartridge ,plumbase carry then in stock normally.There is a universal one
available from Orca Star

He could have a whale of a time with that....

Reading the other puns following this I realised that others read 'whale' as
the sea mammal.

I read it as the Whale brand name of caravan plumbing and couldn't think of
anything clever which is why I played on the billiance of your star-like
properties.

Well, it was very late ...

Mary

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Jeff

[news] wrote :-

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you

obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

on a tuesday morning, because its dripping ?
If i'd have known i'd have stripped and cleaned it before writing it off

Regards Jeff

[news]

Jeff wrote:
[news] wrote :-

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

on a tuesday morning,

sorry, I thought you said "Just been over the MIL's and a plumber has just"

RT

:::Jerry::::

"Jeff" wrote in message
.. .

[news] wrote :-

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you

obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you

have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

on a tuesday morning, because its dripping ?
If i'd have known i'd have stripped and cleaned it before writing it

off

....and then charged her twice as much as a new tap and the fitting
would have cost, time has to be charged, your obviously work for
free....

Why do you think the art of brake shoe re-lining (for example) went
out of favour in the non commercial automotive repair trade, it's not
because mechanics are unable to do the work but because it would cost
the customer more than just fitting a nice new set.

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 09:05:34 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

Why do you think the art of brake shoe re-lining (for example) went
out of favour in the non commercial automotive repair trade,

Disk brakes. How often do you need to change shoes in rear drums?

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Why do you think the art of brake shoe re-lining (for example) went
out of favour in the non commercial automotive repair trade,

Disk brakes. How often do you need to change shoes in rear drums?

I haven't done it for many years. Nor have I neded to have a crankshaft
ground or cylinders re-bored or fit new rings - or even plugs.

In fact there's very little to do with modern (i.e. up to 15 yo in my
experience) cars.They've taken all the fun out of it!

Mary

:::Jerry::::

wrote:

Why do you think the art of brake shoe re-lining (for example) went
out of favour in the non commercial automotive repair trade,

Disk brakes. How often do you need to change shoes in rear drums?

But re-lining went out about 30 years ago....

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:08:12 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

Disk brakes. How often do you need to change shoes in rear drums?

But re-lining went out about 30 years ago....

About the same time that front disk brakes had saturated the market.

For years you could still get drum shoes re-lined by going to a Landie
or van garage. Now even they aren't tooled up to do it - the final
death knell for re-lining on site was asbestos legislation.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Why do you think the art of brake shoe re-lining (for example) went
out of favour in the non commercial automotive repair trade,

Disk brakes. How often do you need to change shoes in rear drums?

About every three sets of front pads on my SDI Rover. If it's the sort of
car - BMW, etc, that uses handbrake shoes inside the rear disk, then never
- provided you only apply the brake when stationary. Not that it's much
good on the move. ;-)

It was certainly worth fitting linings to my S1 Bentley many years ago -
less than a quarter of the price of shoes. However, most are bonded
these days, so not as practical for DIY as rivets.

--
*There's two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither one works *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 22:27:23 +0100, Jeff wrote:

[news] wrote :-

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you

obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

on a tuesday morning, because its dripping ?
If i'd have known i'd have stripped and cleaned it before writing it off

Which _might_ have worked but probably wouldn't have - BTDTGTTS.

Jeff

news

[news] wrote :-

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you

obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

on a tuesday morning, because its dripping ?
If i'd have known i'd have stripped and cleaned it before writing it off

Which _might_ have worked but probably wouldn't have - BTDTGTTS.

BTDTGTTS = ?

Regards Jeff

John Rumm

Jeff wrote:

BTDTGTTS = ?

Been There, Done That, Got The Tee Shirt

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

BTDTGTTS = ?

Been There, Done That, Got The Tee Shirt

note to self

Remember that!

But bet I don't! I forgot to add forgetfulness as part of the ageing
process.

Mary

--
Cheers,

John.

Jeff

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Jeff wrote:

BTDTGTTS = ?

Been There, Done That, Got The Tee Shirt

LOL , too many MLA's IMHO

Regards Jeff

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 20:20:50 +0000, [news] wrote:

Jeff wrote:
Just been over the MIL's and a plumber has just replaced the quarter turn
kitchen mixer tap with an old fashioned traditional mixer because "the
quarter turn ones can't be repaired"

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

In general except for the top of the range manufacturers (who charge top
of the range prices) trying to obtain spares for quarter turn taps is very
difficult if not impossible. Even spares for supposedly quality makes
(Like Hans Grohe are not obtainable). Whilst quarter turn taps can, and
often do, last many years should they start to leak then replacement may
be the only option.

John Stumbles

Jeff wrote:

Just been over the MIL's and a plumber has just replaced the quarter turn
kitchen mixer tap with an old fashioned traditional mixer because "the
quarter turn ones can't be repaired"

unknown make/model, on a friday night ? he's right you know. you obviously
know better so why don't you be a good SiL and pop back whan you have
the parts and sort it out ;-)

In general except for the top of the range manufacturers (who charge top
of the range prices) trying to obtain spares for quarter turn taps is very
difficult if not impossible. Even spares for supposedly quality makes
(Like Hans Grohe are not obtainable). Whilst quarter turn taps can, and
often do, last many years should they start to leak then replacement may
be the only option.

Custom spares perhaps, but most taps have the industry standard size
glands so it's then a matter of finding glands with the right size
splined shaft (and handedness) and/or suitable handles. I usually carry
replacement glands from B&Q (a pair of same-way-turning ones with
white rubber seals and a handed pair with red and blue seals, the pairs
having different sizes of splined shaft), a pair of tap revivers with
handles and a pair of cheapo 1/4 turn basin taps (from SFX/TS). Nice
thing is you can replace conventional compression glands with 1/4 turn
(as long as the tap seats are OK) and vice-versa (should the need arise)
and do specials such as a deck mixer with cross head handles but 1/4 turn.

Ian Stirling

Jeff wrote:
Just been over the MIL's and a plumber has just replaced the quarter turn
kitchen mixer tap with an old fashioned traditional mixer because "the
quarter turn ones can't be repaired"

On another topic - has anyone invented a tap that will not stop working,
or need repairs in (say) 50 years in a hard water area?

Tool Thieves Tom Watson Woodworking 43 March 18th 05 07:56 PM
Questions for the plumbers FireBrick Home Repair 3 January 26th 05 12:55 AM
Heating Problem Thats Dumbfounded Seven Plumbers jason hunter UK diy 11 November 10th 04 12:03 AM
Whats better, plumbers putty or teflon tape??? Steve Home Repair 13 May 24th 04 02:19 PM
Any good plumbers in Worcester Steve UK diy 1 July 31st 03 09:55 AM