Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to make iron filings?

On Wednesday, April 3, 2002 at 8:04:29 PM UTC-6, George Glines wrote:
Not kidding. My son's teacher asked me to make 1 cup of iron filings for
the 4th grade class magnetism experiments. Sounds like a real mess. I was
thinking of put some sheetmetal screens on the milling table to catch the
filings and using a roughing endmill on really fine feed to grind up a round
bar of cast iron I have.

Any better ideas on a cutter or method would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

how
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 14:57:39 -0800, mike wrote:

On 12/8/2015 11:12 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 3, 2002 at 8:04:29 PM UTC-6, George Glines wrote:
Not kidding. My son's teacher asked me to make 1 cup of iron filings for
the 4th grade class magnetism experiments. Sounds like a real mess. I was
thinking of put some sheetmetal screens on the milling table to catch the
filings and using a roughing endmill on really fine feed to grind up a round
bar of cast iron I have.

Any better ideas on a cutter or method would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

how

Sometimes the easiest way is the easiest way...
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=i...lings&tbm=shop

Isn't the easiest way simply taking a file to any scraps of ferrous
stock lying around your shop? It's good practice for your filing
skills, anyway. Teach the kid to file properly while making his
science class product out of the swarf. Win/Win/Win.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Go to any automotive brake repair shop with a brake lathe, and ask for a cup
or two of their turnings. They use carbide tooling and cut the cast iron
rotors and drums dry, so the turnings are a nice clean dry fine powder. May
be too fine and spherical, but I'd start there as the easiest source. To
visualize a magnetic field you want little elongated shavings that look like
tiny short pieces of string, so cuttings from a rough hobbing end mill would
be nice. Filing sounds nice, but I shudder at how many hours it would take
to make a full cup of filings :-).

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

news

On 12/8/2015 11:12 AM, wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/8/2015 11:12 AM, wrote:
[...]

IIRC I have a Mayo jar full which I saved while turning a couple
pieces of CI; or go visit your local brake shop.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada