Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Tractor: proceding with the repairs

Well , I've done about as much as I can without parts . The metal fatigue
damage has been repaired . The starter has been cleaned and lubed . The
sheet metal shrouding around the motor has been repaired , as have the
cracked mounts at the bottom of the column . The steering gear has been
cleaned , lubed , and the wear on the "cone bolt" has been TIGged up and
machined back to profile welded w/312 , bolt is hardened carbon steel .
The missing blade on the hydraulic pump has been replaced - not a perfect
repair , but I'd bet it"s a helluva lot closer to balanced now ! It also has
a new battery , spark plugs , and fresh oil in the motor . Trans oil is next
, already got the filter and I now know it needs type F auto trans fluid .
I know I'll be needing more parts before everything works , but I'm
gettin' more optomistic . That I'm not throwing money down a rathole ...
--
Snag
SHIRLEY ! Shots of MMB all 'round - cept for Snarl , he's still hooked on

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/26/2014 10:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

There's just something about a tractor, never a rathole. Luck be with you!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I got very lucky with this one . I'm into it almost 400 bucks total and I
think that's all the cash we'll need to spend . The rest is just time and
materials I already have on hand . And I'll have a machine that'll do
everything a new machine for 2500 bucks will .

--
Snag
Or more ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/29/2014 5:33 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

And, a good deal of fun and adventure.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:33:23 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

And _that_, dear sirs, is what it's all about. Bargains, hobbies,
life experiences, and fun, all rolled into one neat bundle.

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:33:23 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
I got very lucky with this one . I'm into it almost 400 bucks total and I
think that's all the cash we'll need to spend . The rest is just time and
materials I already have on hand . And I'll have a machine that'll do
everything a new machine for 2500 bucks will .

I don't think $2500 would get you a machine like that. Most of them
that go for that price are called "Lawn Tractors" nowadays. They
shouldn't be used with any "ground engaging" implements. To get a
"Garden Tractor" you would need to double your estimate. And even those
are pretty wimpy. To get hydraulics you probably need to triple your
estimate...

So you did REALLY GOOD on your investment

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:33:23 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
I got very lucky with this one . I'm into it almost 400 bucks total
and I think that's all the cash we'll need to spend . The rest is
just time and materials I already have on hand . And I'll have a
machine that'll do everything a new machine for 2500 bucks will .

I don't think $2500 would get you a machine like that. Most of them
that go for that price are called "Lawn Tractors" nowadays. They
shouldn't be used with any "ground engaging" implements. To get a
"Garden Tractor" you would need to double your estimate. And even
those are pretty wimpy. To get hydraulics you probably need to triple
your estimate...

So you did REALLY GOOD on your investment

I thought so ... I've also learned they useta sell a whole line of
"farming" implements for this machine , including a moldboard plow , power
disk , and a harrow . My luck probably doesn't extend to finding any of
these attachments , but you can bet if I find a plow for it I'll try to Snag
it !

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:38:15 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
I thought so ... I've also learned they useta sell a whole line of
"farming" implements for this machine , including a moldboard plow , power
disk , and a harrow . My luck probably doesn't extend to finding any of
these attachments , but you can bet if I find a plow for it I'll try to Snag
it !

I assume you mean the garden type plow and not snow/dozer blade.
Brinly makes some that fit a variety of small garden type tractors.
They hookup via what's called a "sleeve hitch". See:

http://www.brinly.com/PP_51BH.html

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=...e+sleeve+hitch

They turn up around here on Craig's list from time to time. If you fab
the part of the sleeve hitch (or buy) that goes on the tractor a whole
bunch of generic (non John Deere) stuff will attach.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:38:15 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
[...]

The manual for my Sears GT18 garden tractor lists a Plow, Disk Harrow,
Drag Harrow, Cultivator, 46" Dozer Blade, 40" Snow Blower, and Rear
Grader and Leveler Blade. I made a hydraulic bucket loader for it.
This is a similar model:

http://charlottesville.craigslist.or...732705857.html

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 16:03:41 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:38:15 -0500
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
[...]

That's quite the capable lawn machine!

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The manual for my Sears GT18 garden tractor lists a Plow, Disk
Harrow,
Drag Harrow, Cultivator, 46" Dozer Blade, 40" Snow Blower, and Rear
Grader and Leveler Blade. I made a hydraulic bucket loader for it.
This is a similar model:

http://charlottesville.craigslist.or...732705857.html

That's quite the capable lawn machine!

My property is all glacial till, rocks and sand, so I don't have a
garden. The Garden Tractor is not really maneuverable enough to mow
closely around obstacles and too light to excavate the ground here,
though it's been fine for clearing snow. I wanted it to pull the
trailer when I went out to cut firewood, a task that had destroyed a
lighter riding mower. Unlike my truck it's narrow enough to drive
through the woods off the trails.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The manual for my Sears GT18 garden tractor lists a Plow, Disk
Harrow,
Drag Harrow, Cultivator, 46" Dozer Blade, 40" Snow Blower, and Rear
Grader and Leveler Blade. I made a hydraulic bucket loader for it.
This is a similar model:

http://charlottesville.craigslist.or...732705857.html

That's quite the capable lawn machine!

My property is all glacial till, rocks and sand, so I don't have a
garden. The Garden Tractor is not really maneuverable enough to mow
closely around obstacles and too light to excavate the ground here,
though it's been fine for clearing snow. I wanted it to pull the
trailer when I went out to cut firewood, a task that had destroyed a
lighter riding mower. Unlike my truck it's narrow enough to drive
through the woods off the trails.
-jsw

Dragging firewood out is going to be one of this machine's primary tasks .
Whether it's logs on the ground with a chain or rounds 20" long will depend
on if I find a trailer . I'd love to chance across an old boat trailer that
I could modify . Clearing snow will be a major task too , if needed .
Actually using it for a mowing machine is close to the bottom of the list
.... though it will be very handy for keeping the orchard knocked down .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I made a pair of folding sawbucks to cut up firewood at waist height
to save my back. They also support long logs for shed frames above the
sides of the trailer and keep the weight off the tailgate and front
tool box lid.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The problem is getting it up to waist height ... a 14" white oak round
green weighs about 40-50 lbs per foot . I want a ramp to roll the stuff up
into the trailer , trailer height close to the splitting butt height so I
don't have to lift this stuff any more .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message
wrote:

[...]

I use a folding tripod and a lever chain hoist. I just wrote and then
deleted its description because I can't prove its safety margin. The
top connection isn't a pure pinned joint, there's some unknown
imbalance in tension between the chains on the two ends of each
crosswise bolt and enough sideways loading to have dented the posts
where they overlap and bear against each other.

It requires close attention to ensure that the feet don't slip and the
chain doesn't swing out beyond the legs and tip it over onto me.

Before I got the tractor I used a crane attached to the bed of my
pickup truck to drag logs out of tangles and lift them onto the
sawbuck.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Make yourself a drag-behind "skidder" for logs. Basically a truss
that joins the wheels over the log with a chain and binder to hold the
log under the "bridge" Design so pulling the drawbar down lifts the
log. Pin to tractor hitch and away you go. My brother made one for the
front and a steerable one for the rear so he can drag out full logs
with his quad. His 5'2" wife can steer the rear to get around trees
and rocks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Think "overgrown riding mower" , this is barely a tractor and while there
is a hydraulic drawbar attachment for it , I don't have one .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 07:12:15 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote in
message

.
Actually using it for a mowing machine is close to the bottom of the
list
... though it will be very handy for keeping the orchard knocked
down .

Make yourself a drag-behind "skidder" for logs. Basically a truss
that joins the wheels over the log with a chain and binder to hold
the
log under the "bridge" Design so pulling the drawbar down lifts the
log. Pin to tractor hitch and away you go. My brother made one for
the
front and a steerable one for the rear so he can drag out full logs
with his quad. His 5'2" wife can steer the rear to get around trees
and rocks.

http://www.novajack.com/en/0101_06.htm
http://www.norwoodsawmills.com/produ...-arch-your-atv

I gave that idea some thought. It's a lot of cost and effort for a
single-purpose device that does a job my trailer can handle, thanks to
the tripod hoist, and it can't carry all my gear which I won't leave
unattended.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 1 Nov 2014 11:33:31 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

[...]

You know what a "quad" is? It's a 4 wheeled motor scooter. Your JD
can pull every bit as much as a medium sized quad bike. (ATV)