Brian

Default Under Counter Microwave Problem

Ok folks, heres one for you! I have a General Electric undercounter
(over my stove) microwave (#JVM1430WA01). It has worked great for the
last 4 years... or should I say until the cooktop lights went out
(light inside microwave still works). I thought at first it was the
bulbs and they were bad so I replaced them...$20 each for 2 ...ouch!
They still did not work so I tried the bulbs in another socket...no
problem.

It was suggested to me that it could be the sockets...(getting
smarter) I bought 1 ($32) and replaced it...still no light. I tested
the bulbs again...no problem.

Calling GE they suggested it was the fuse next to the capacitor (but
told me not to attempt to remove it...very dangerous). Of course they
can send out a repair man, I declined the offer to spend more money.
I removed the fuse but decided it can't be that since when I remove
the fuse nothing works.

I checked all the wires and plugs behind the touch panel. Everything
is plugged in and the wires all look good...no problem. By the way,
the touch panel button makes a click and "bleep" noise when I press
the light button.

Now $72 spent but still....NO LIGHTS!

Anyone have any great ideas besides: 1)Junk a perfectly good microwave
2)Spend more than the microwave is worth to have a repairman fix
something I am overlooking?

I could really use some help.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian

Wayne and Mark,

Thanks for the help. I don't see another fuse except for the one next
to the capacitor. Have no idea what a relay looks like. I followed
the wires from each socket. They connect at the center under the
microwave. Connector looks good...followed it back to the next
connector...also looks good. Then the wires go to plugs on the back
of the touch panel. I wiggled each connector and made sure all wires
were pushed in. Still no lights.

Brian

"Wayne Tiffany" wrote in message ...
I would look for the relay next and check for voltage in and out of it.
That would tell you if you were good up to the relay contacts, but maybe not
coming out. The light circuit can't be that complicated, so start following
wires and see where you lose your juice. Also look around inside the
cabinet - there's usually a basic schematic tucked in there somewhere.

WT

"Mark" wrote in message
th.net...
In article
,
says...
(
the touch panel button makes a click and "bleep" noise when I press
the light button.

Anyone have any great ideas besides: 1)Junk a perfectly good microwave
2)Spend more than the microwave is worth to have a repairman fix
something I am overlooking?

Well, the beep means the switch works, and the click is
probably a relay closing, so that means the low voltage
control is working, which only leaves a problem with the
high (120) volt side.

It may very well be an open fuse, but not the one you pulled
out, which would appear to be the mains fuse. Could also be
a defective connection somewhere in the circuit.

Without breaking it open and going at it with a VOM, it's
hard to tell.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.
Your perception may be different.

Sam Goldwasser

Mark writes:

In article
,
says...
Wayne and Mark,

Thanks for the help. I don't see another fuse except for the one next
to the capacitor. Have no idea what a relay looks like. I followed
the wires from each socket. They connect at the center under the
microwave. Connector looks good...followed it back to the next
connector...also looks good. Then the wires go to plugs on the back
of the touch panel. I wiggled each connector and made sure all wires
were pushed in. Still no lights.

Brian

Relays come in different flavors, but they are generally
rectangular in shape, and in your case, would probably be
somewhere from 1/2 to 1" on a side. The case is typically
plastic (often blue, sometimes clear), and if you can see
it, one side (often the top) will have a fair amount of
writing stamped on it.

I'd actually be surprised of the high volt side goes direct
to the touch panel. Could this connector you refer to be a
relay?

It's unlikely the touch panel goes anywhere near the line voltage.
The touch panel activates a relay via the
microcontroller probably. The click indicates the relay is
working and in all likelihood, working properly. Someone will
have to use a DMM to trace out the circuit and find out if
there is indeed 115 VAC being switched from the relay, if there
is a fuse hidden somewhere that is blown (if the original bulbs
blew, there's a good chance they took out a fuse), or if there
is a bad connection, etc.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:
http://www.repairfaq.org/
| Mirror Site Info: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mirror.html

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To
contact me, please use the Feedback Form at repairfaq.org. Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The first thing I would do is check the socket to see if it is getting
power at all. If you do open the case, remember that the capacitor is
high voltage and can kill you even if the thing is unplugged. If you
can find the schematic inside the case, I usually see them near the
internal fan, there should be a set of buttons you can press to test
the control board and door switches.

If the socket IS getting power, pull the center tab out a little so
that you know it is making contact with the bulb. 90% of my bulb
problems are the old bulb was screwed in to far and bent the center
tab. (Even in refrigerators.)

Hope that helped.