Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which grease?

Somehow I posted this message with the wrong subject. So here it is
again with the proper subject line.
I have an 1936 vintage Kitchenaid stand mixer. This mixer is a real
workhorse and gets lots of use. Back in 2000 the grease needed to be
replaced. Upon opening the gearbox I could see that the old white
grease had dried out quite a bit. Anyway, I replaced the grease with
more white grease. Now, 14 years later the white grease I put in has
lost a lot of the oil and has turned into glue. The stuff won't even
wash out with solvents that usually work on grease. Anyway, I want to
grease this mixer just one more time and have it last at least twice
as long as the last greasing. If it does I'll be so old I won't care
if the grease dries up because I probably won't be grinding meat and
making bread. So, which grease is best for this application?
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:44:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I have an 1936 vintage Kitchenaid stand mixer. This mixer is a real
workhorse and gets lots of use. Back in 2000 the grease needed to be
replaced. Upon opening the gearbox I could see that the old white
grease had dried out quite a bit. Anyway, I replaced the grease with
more white grease. Now, 14 years later the white grease I put in has
lost a lot of the oil and has turned into glue. The stuff won't even
wash out with solvents that usually work on grease.

It could be that the grease has taken on moisture, rather than dried
up; try waterless hand cleaner (non-pumice type) to loosen it.
Consider water-pump grease (for moisture tolerance) or maybe
silicone grease (plumbers use it for water faucets). Or,
just more white grease: fourteen years isn't bad.

Petrolum jelly is food-safe, as are various (commercially available
by the barrel) products. It might be useful to consult your local
appliance-parts purveyors for a recommendation, too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 14:08:44 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

[...]

The grease has "saponified" - or turned to soap. Grease is an
oil/soap mixture. All kinds of different "soaps"

Grease Pilgrim Metalworking 8 May 15th 11 04:15 PM
The right grease Deacon_Man Home Repair 24 February 23rd 10 11:58 PM
What's with my grease gun? mm Home Repair 6 October 12th 06 03:26 PM
Lithium grase + silicone grease vs. axle grease RickyC UK diy 8 February 17th 05 07:59 PM
SDS bit grease Andrew Gabriel UK diy 7 July 30th 04 01:00 AM