Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small Parts

Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

Which is no doubt great for Amazon, but it seems that the first thing
they dropped was all the nifty small parts, leaving behind an online
plumbing store.

Today I'm looking for precision ball or butterfly valves for low-pressure
application with tubing in the 1/16 - 1/8" ID range.

Does anyone know of a supplier of small amounts of such valves? Better
yet, does anyone know of a good replacement for Small Parts?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott" wrote in message
news Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

Which is no doubt great for Amazon, but it seems that the first thing
they dropped was all the nifty small parts, leaving behind an online
plumbing store.

Today I'm looking for precision ball or butterfly valves for low-pressure
application with tubing in the 1/16 - 1/8" ID range.

Does anyone know of a supplier of small amounts of such valves? Better
yet, does anyone know of a good replacement for Small Parts?

I used to buy my alignment pins from Small Parts by the bags of 100. Last
batch I got was a lot of 500 from an Ebay vendor. Same place I had to go
for the chrome plated brass ball valves and one way check valves I use for
air and coolant lines.

Good luck, and let us know how the search goes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

ugh.

amazon supply has one of the worst search engines ever created. It always
returns garbage that's not what you were looking for, and then you have to
click on the site 50,000 times to view what they have.

paper catalogs blow this garbage away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:28:31 +0000, Cydrome Leader wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon
Supply".

ugh.

amazon supply has one of the worst search engines ever created. It
always returns garbage that's not what you were looking for, and then
you have to click on the site 50,000 times to view what they have.

paper catalogs blow this garbage away.

DigiKey has totally spoiled me. These days, I often find manufacturer's
part numbers for stuff I want to design by first using DigiKey's
parametric search engine.

If someone could replicate that for mechanical parts, they'd own the
WORLD.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

If someone could replicate that for mechanical parts, they'd own the
WORLD.

McMaster did, and they do...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

They don't have the mfg info online, you have to call for that, but I think
www.mcmaster.com has the best search engine for mechanical stuff. It used
to be even better when they simply returned the catalog pages, (made
browsing sooo easy when you weren't quite sure what you needed but could get
close with a search) but now they create results screens with bits of
catalog pages with all the "extraneous" results deleted, which I hate for
some reason :-). Yes, you can just click on one part and then click on
"show catalog page", but why break what wasn't broken? The amazon supply
site sounds like they are imitating MSC or Grainger - yuuuch. Great
companies, terrible search engines. I've very disappointed to hear that
Small Parts is gone.

For valves that small I would go to the analytical chemistry chromatography
supply world. Try Scientific Instrument Supply in NJ (www.sisweb.com), or
Restek, or some HPLC supply houses. They guys at SIS have always been great
to talk to, they should be able to steer you right if they don't have what
you need.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Tim Wescott wrote:
Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon
Supply".

ugh.

amazon supply has one of the worst search engines ever created. It
always returns garbage that's not what you were looking for, and then
you have to click on the site 50,000 times to view what they have.

paper catalogs blow this garbage away.

DigiKey has totally spoiled me. These days, I often find manufacturer's
part numbers for stuff I want to design by first using DigiKey's
parametric search engine.

If someone could replicate that for mechanical parts, they'd own the
WORLD.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/15/2014 5:55 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

Which is no doubt great for Amazon, but it seems that the first thing
they dropped was all the nifty small parts, leaving behind an online
plumbing store.

Today I'm looking for precision ball or butterfly valves for low-pressure
application with tubing in the 1/16 - 1/8" ID range.

Does anyone know of a supplier of small amounts of such valves? Better
yet, does anyone know of a good replacement for Small Parts?

Try the pet store in the aquarium isle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16-Apr-14 5:55 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

Which is no doubt great for Amazon, but it seems that the first thing
they dropped was all the nifty small parts, leaving behind an online
plumbing store.

Today I'm looking for precision ball or butterfly valves for low-pressure
application with tubing in the 1/16 - 1/8" ID range.

Does anyone know of a supplier of small amounts of such valves? Better
yet, does anyone know of a good replacement for Small Parts?

Not in the US & not exactly what you are looking for but it may be of
interest to others:

http://www.minibearings.com.au/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

Well, that's certainly sad news!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:55:50 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

Which is no doubt great for Amazon, but it seems that the first thing
they dropped was all the nifty small parts, leaving behind an online
plumbing store.

Talk about a total loss of raison d'etre...

I wonder if www.AutomationDirect.com would work for your needs.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:55:22 PM UTC-4, Pete C. wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:

If someone could replicate that for mechanical parts, they'd own the
WORLD.

McMaster did, and they do...

Sad news about small parts inc.
(So I should toss my catalog?)
I too like McMaster-C.
The index in the back of the catalog is a work of art.
Online searches of M-C are OK, but I sometimes find they miss things
and it's best to page through the catalog.

Do you have a McMaster-C catalog Tim?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#miniature-ball-valves/=rk7yqx
(there are some pvc ones too.. 1/8" was the smallest I saw in a quick search.)

George H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Mittwoch, 16. April 2014 05:04:53 UTC+2 schrieb Carl Ijames:
They don't have the mfg info online, you have to call for that, but I think

www.mcmaster.com has the best search engine for mechanical stuff.

I too am a big McMaster fan, but I do have a beef regarding their secrecy about suppliers. I was sourcing bearings, and McMaster couldn't give me some of the information I wanted. I asked if they could put me in touch with the manufacturer, and they said no. A bit of google and I was soon on the phone with the producer and got the info I wanted. When it came to ordering, they didn't do small orders, but had the McMaster part numbers on hand, so I was right back to McMaster to place my order.

Yes, too bad about Small Parts, but personally I never found them very useful for me. It seems though that Amazon Supply has extremely good prices at least.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

If someone could replicate that for mechanical parts, they'd own the
WORLD.

McMaster did, and they do...

Sad news about small parts inc.
(So I should toss my catalog?)
I too like McMaster-C.
The index in the back of the catalog is a work of art.
Online searches of M-C are OK, but I sometimes find they miss things and
it's best to page through the catalog.

Do you have a McMaster-C catalog Tim?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#miniature-ball-valves/=rk7yqx (there are some
pvc ones too.. 1/8" was the smallest I saw in a quick search.)

George H.

I looked again at McMaster's site, and saw some stuff that I had
overlooked -- I had seen their "pipe sizes" categories, but not their
"tube sizes" categories.

They still don't quite have what I want, but it's a lot closer.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:23:15 -0400, Tom Gardner wrote:

On 4/15/2014 5:55 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon
Supply".

Which is no doubt great for Amazon, but it seems that the first thing
they dropped was all the nifty small parts, leaving behind an online
plumbing store.

Today I'm looking for precision ball or butterfly valves for
low-pressure application with tubing in the 1/16 - 1/8" ID range.

Does anyone know of a supplier of small amounts of such valves? Better
yet, does anyone know of a good replacement for Small Parts?

Try the pet store in the aquarium isle.

That's a good idea. Just now I found something that might almost sorta
work in the McMaster catalog, but at a gold-plated price. I'm looking at
a hobby application, so there's a mismatch there.

I'll try the local pet stores and see if they have boats to their
aquarium isles. Or maybe I'll see if they have aisles that I can walk
through that have stuff.

While I'm at it, maybe I'll try not to give people **** for typos?

Nah.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RED RED is offline

Small valves can be had from Live Steam Railroad, boating and stationary
steam engine model suppliers:
http://www.colespowermodels.com/
http://www.pmmodelengines.com/
http://www.americanmodeleng.com/
-Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:55:50 PM UTC-7, Tim Wescott wrote:
Small Parts Inc. got gobbled up by Amazon and turned into "Amazon Supply".

Which is no doubt great for Amazon, but it seems that the first thing
they dropped was all the nifty small parts...

Today I'm looking for precision ball or butterfly valves for low-pressure
application with tubing in the 1/16 - 1/8" ID range.

Can you use luer-type valves and fittings? That's pretty standard
chemical lab stuff nowadays.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/16/2014 11:20 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

And, they have PUPPIES!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/16/2014 9:30 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:39:17 -0700 (PDT), robobass
wrote:

While I'm at it, maybe I'll try not to give people **** for typos?
Nah.

Yes. Please do continue to jab at us illiterates for our poor
grammar and spelling. I'm sorry. I don't write well. ...

Chill dood, but it never hurts to improve on a weak point...

Personally, as Larry says below, I thought it a very good pun in the
given case, accidental or not...then again, I'm one of those who tends
to love the 'orrible pun, so what does that say? :J)

Um, I think he had that comment aimed at Tawm's "aquarium isle", Rob.
(He was replying to Tawm's post, you know.)

But proper spelling is better than cleanliness or godliness, so do
work on it, wot? Merci.

I forget who is supposed to have said something on the line of "it takes
a poor mind to only have one spelling for a word"???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

While I'm at it, maybe I'll try not to give people **** for typos?
Nah.
Yes. Please do continue to jab at us illiterates for our poor
grammar and spelling. I'm sorry. I don't write well. ...

Chill dood, but it never hurts to improve on a weak point...

Personally, as Larry says below, I thought it a very good pun in the
given case, accidental or not...then again, I'm one of those who tends
to love the 'orrible pun, so what does that say? :J)

Um, I think he had that comment aimed at Tawm's "aquarium isle", Rob.
(He was replying to Tawm's post, you know.)

But proper spelling is better than cleanliness or godliness, so do
work on it, wot? Merci.

I forget who is supposed to have said something on the line of "it takes
a poor mind to only have one spelling for a word"???

Andrew Jackson: "It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at
least two ways to spell any word", in answer to John Quincy Adams
denouncement of him as "a savage who can scarcely spell his own name."
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 07:49:46 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

What animals are drawn in by puppy bait?

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/17/2014 11:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Young girls!

Can a big mill do small parts? TwoGuns Metalworking 6 January 11th 10 04:56 AM
Holding small parts Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 15 March 13th 09 02:37 PM
Source for small parts D.M. Procida UK diy 31 January 2nd 09 12:53 PM
Small appliance parts? dpb Home Repair 4 April 12th 08 11:18 PM
Small parts gold plating Malcolm Stewart UK diy 16 September 27th 06 07:58 AM